• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Drinks Effectiveness Tested

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
I leveled up 80 abilities with drinks on random brands, and got 25 desired abilities.

That is (25/80)*100 = 31% chance of getting desired ability with drinks.

Desired ability's chance to show up in any 1 slot:
Common Brand (28.5%) > Neutral Brand (7.1%) > Random Brand (5.7%) > Uncommon Brand (3.1%)

This made the drinks effect seems like 25% additive, otherwise 31/5.7 would make the effectiveness to be 5.5 times?!

But then when I tested with Common Brand, I got 4 desired abilities our of 16 tries, so that's only 25%. It is a smaller sample size, but it made it seems like Drinks has no effect on Common Brand.

TL;DR

To get perfect gears,

1. Use Snails on Common Brand
2. Use Drinks on Neutral Brand
3. Use Chunks on 2/3 near perfect gear (farm chunks with drinks on Splatfest Shirt)

Last edited:

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
I'm somewhat perplexed that nobody replied and this thread fell onto 2nd page...?

I thought everybody wanted to know what drinks do? I did a google search and the first 10 results all had WRONG info!

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Oh, sorry. I stumbled upon your thread when lurking but ended up forgetting to write a reply.
Thanks for the info. I will keep this in mind when trying to get that (semi-)pure gear that I want.

Given how many chunks you'll need for the third slot, it's a grind nevertheless but I'm taking this over the old RNG method any day.

SqidVishus

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0563-5067-5130
Define common, Neutral, Random and uncommon brands and I might know what to do with this information.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
Define common, Neutral, Random and uncommon brands and I might know what to do with this information.
He's referring to the probability of getting certain abilities on certain pieces of gear. Each brand has an increased chance of rolling one particular ability, and a decreased chance of rolling another. For instance, Squidforce gear has a higher chance of rolling Ink Resistance but a lower chance of rolling Ink Saver Main. So "Common Brand" is gear that gets the ability you want more often, "Uncommon Brand" is gear that gets it less often, and "Neutral Brand" is gear that gets it at the usual rate (i.e. any gear that isn't Common or Uncommon).

"Random Brand" refers to gear from the Grizzco, Cuttlegear, and Amiibo brands, though I admit I'm also unclear on why these brands would have different ability chances to Neutral.

There's a thread in the Competitive Discussion section with a table that lists all the brands along with their common and uncommon abilities, if you're interested: https://squidboards.com/threads/gear-brand-abilities-reference-thread.30650/

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
In my experience, the likely brand + corresponding drink certainly yielded a higher result for me. Probably more like 50%. But that's not documented, and since yours is a very small sample size, who really knows? All I know is that it's working out for me.

Also, DON'T use your snails to reroll. Since you don't get the choice to pay 30.000 instead of a snail, literally the only way to add slots is through snails.

Tentathode

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3741-1493-9611
"Random Brand" refers to gear from the Grizzco, Cuttlegear, and Amiibo brands, though I admit I'm also unclear on why these brands would have different ability chances to Neutral.
Here's the math on the different chances of getting a "neutral" ability on random brands compared to the others.

There are 14 possible abilities in total. On a random brand, the chances of getting any one ability is 1/14, or 7.14%. Easy math.

On a brand with an affinity, the chances of getting the common ability is stated as being 5x higher than normal, while the uncommon ability is 0.5x as likely.

The easiest way to calculate this is to give the chances values. Common is 10. Neutral is 2. Uncommon is 1. Add them all up and you get 10 + 12(2) + 1 = 35.

Common ability chances: 10/35, or 28.57%
Neutral ability chances: 2/35, or 5.71%
Uncommon ability chances: 1/35, or 2.86%

Its not much different (7.1% vs. 5.7%), but that's the reason why it is.

Patomonya

Inkling
NNID
Patomonya
Hey, thanks for sharing this information. I've been very curious about this stuff since launch and it'll put me on the right path to farming my chunks and abilities. Appreciate it! :)

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I was wondering how these would work, considering in Splatoon 1 sub abilities were predetermined upon receiving the clothing or unlocking the sub slot. i.e. if you wanted to savescum your clothes, you couldn't buy the gear then repeatedly level it up because every slot would be the same each time.

I suppose that's changed this time and they're randomized upon receiving enough clothing exp to reveal the sub, and the drink factors into probability.

I'd still be inclined to use drinks on the Favoured ability while leveling clothes, if nothing else to get another try at triples 50% faster. I also would NOT suggest using snails for rerolls for the reason MINKUEL provided: Sea snails are the only way to add more slots to clothing and are only available through Splatfest and post-level 30 levels, both of which being severely limited.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
Here's the math on the different chances of getting a "neutral" ability on random brands compared to the others.

There are 14 possible abilities in total. On a random brand, the chances of getting any one ability is 1/14, or 7.14%. Easy math.

On a brand with an affinity, the chances of getting the common ability is stated as being 5x higher than normal, while the uncommon ability is 0.5x as likely.

The easiest way to calculate this is to give the chances values. Common is 10. Neutral is 2. Uncommon is 1. Add them all up and you get 10 + 12(2) + 1 = 35.

Common ability chances: 10/35, or 28.57%
Neutral ability chances: 2/35, or 5.71%
Uncommon ability chances: 1/35, or 2.86%

Its not much different (7.1% vs. 5.7%), but that's the reason why it is.
Ah, okay. I didn't realise that the difference between the common ability bonus and the uncommon ability penalty was so wide. I'd initially assumed that they'd be relatively even. I had started to suspect that the former was probably the case, but thanks for clearing it up all the same.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So, wait, do a drink's ability odds actually stack with a given gear's odds for a favored ability? As in, if I use one of those Ink Recovery drinks on Tentatek gear, I'll have better odds of getting triple Ink Recovery subs than if I went in without the drink/leveled up non-Tentatek gear?

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
So, wait, do a drink's ability odds actually stack with a given gear's odds for a favored ability? As in, if I use one of those Ink Recovery drinks on Tentatek gear, I'll have better odds of getting triple Ink Recovery subs than if I went in without the drink/leveled up non-Tentatek gear?
I don't know if there's any definitive evidence one way or the other, but based on what I've heard I don't think so. A lot of people who've tried using drink tickets on favoured brand gear seem to be saying that they don't get the favoured ability any more often than usual. Of course, it's possible that those people are just unlucky, but I've seen so many people saying it that I kind of doubt it.

Tentathode

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3741-1493-9611
I don't know if there's any definitive evidence one way or the other, but based on what I've heard I don't think so. A lot of people who've tried using drink tickets on favoured brand gear seem to be saying that they don't get the favoured ability any more often than usual. Of course, it's possible that those people are just unlucky, but I've seen so many people saying it that I kind of doubt it.
I think you and everyone else are right, trying to drink-buff a common ability doesn't work. The odds seem to be capped at the 5x normal mark. I've even noticed that it seems to have the opposite effect, though I may have just been unlucky.

However! I have a theory about the most effective way to farm chunks, by farming two types at once. The OP said that drinkbuffing random gear yielded a 31% probability... But that would put it over the 5x cap that I suspect there is. So they may have just been a bit lucky, and the true probability was 27.8%.

I think the most effective way of farming would be to wear gear with one common ability while drinkbuffing a neutral ability, thereby having two abilities with a 5x chance at once. Then the odds would be:

Either of the desired abilities: 20/43, 46.5% (!!)
Any neutral ability: 22/43, 51.2%
Uncommon ability: 1/43, 2.3%

That way, you're getting the chunks you want nearly half the time, which is pretty good. I'll test it over the weekend to see if it works the way I think it will.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hmm... disappointing.

I have an idea of using a drink and then leveling up a basic 1-star item, scrubbing and re-scrubbing it every time the slot gains any ability. With perfect luck (20 wins + desired ability each time), that's add up to about 10 chunks per drink, though with my luck I'm assuming I'd end up with about 5. It's an expensive workaround, yes, but that's what Turf Wars and Salmon Run paydays are for.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I do think the odds are higher than that. I got an Annaki beret with 3 QR subs(help me) thanks to a drink. While i don't get it every other time, i can reliably get 2 out of the 3 desired subs by using drinks.

Also, DON'T use your snails to reroll. Since you don't get the choice to pay 30.000 instead of a snail, literally the only way to add slots is through snails.
When you re-roll you do get the previous subs as chunks right away without having to grind for them, so it does have some slight merit to it.

Reactions: the

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Re-rolling is pretty great, but only if you're really sure you have no clothes you wanna add slots to. Not only does it scrub your gear, it levels it up to max instantly again. That's a great deal, especially on 3-star gear that takes a long time to level up. Lots of time and money saved.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You don't save money that way, you spend 10.000 more, and in the battles you fight while leveling the gear up, you'll get more, so if anything, it's an even bigger waste of money. IDK, I find that you need to grind for money every once in a while anyway, so you might as well just scrub instead of rerolling.
When you re-roll you do get the previous subs as chunks right away without having to grind for them, so it does have some slight merit to it.
That's true, and I guess it depends on whether you want a lot of gear with 3 slots (which I do), but I thought it was a warning worth sharing in case someone didn't know about it. I surely didn't know before I found out the hard way. I mean, I never thought they would remove something like that.

And I also have the feeling the drinks do add to the chances of getting the ability even with the brand already contributing. I'll continue testing it out though.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I've tested it out for a while and it doesn't seem that matching brands with drink boosts give you higher chances of getting the favored subs. In my personal experience i've also noticed that the drink boosted subs are more likely to get than the ones favored by brands.

Bear in mind this is just personal experience, so i dunno if it's really true or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom