Dual Squelcher Tips?

TheChillyGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ToadAli
Hello Everyone. I have been using the dual squelcher for a while now, but I need some tips on using it through out S rank. Currently, the abilities I like to use are:

:head_hbd003:::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_tes019:::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_shi005:::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Any Opinions? Should I switch the hat for :head_msk001: and try for special duration? However, I just can't really grasp the dual's style very well. Any tips?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The Dual Squelcher's a pretty balanced gun. You've got "relatively" low damage in exchange for good fire rate at a range that outpaces most opponents. Exploiting that range of yours is key to taking on opponents with more fire rate and damage than you.

I'd swap out the tennis headband. Comeback has it's uses, but having something that boosts you upon death isn't as handy on weapons like the squelchers. If you insist on it though, I'd recommend grabbing the Squid Nordic and rolling for x3 quick respawn, so you come back faster combined with the big boost.

Depending on how much you die, Tenacity can be a good match. Your range allows you to support the fight from a few step backs relative to your allies, so it can pay off to benefit from their deaths with extra :killerwail:or:echolocator: :p

It really depends. The Dual Squelcher's versatile, you can be gung-ho and press the enemy hard or hang back and play like a charger. Either can work.

TheChillyGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ToadAli
Ah, ok. I might switch out the tennis headband with the sporty bobble hat, or a special saver headpiece. Since sometimes, I tend to get splatted too much. I'll definitely keep the shirt and shoes the way they are though.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I like to charge echo as often as possible. This does two things: 1) allows wall-hacks for my team which helps destroy the opponents and 2) replenishes my ink tank. Both the jet squelcher and the dual squelcher are great pressuring weapons. You outrange many of the more common shooters, and are mobile enough to fend off equal range shooters with good positioning. So, I tend to stand and fire a lot to pressure opponents and use my bombs to push them out of hiding. In order to get special quickly as well as have enough ink to do this pressuring, I use:

Fake Contacts :head_eye007::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:or Soccer Headband (no picture) :ability_tenacity:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Red Vector Tee :clothes_tes013::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

You should really practice positioning with this weapon, as its range is its strong point. So learn and utilize your effective range and you will be able to kill tentateks, jrs, and nzaps with ease. Don't be afraid to retreat a bit to get into a better spot, dropping a splat bomb before you go. If you encounter a splat wall, try throwing your bombs over the wall to push enemies back. The gun is really great once you get the right positioning down.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
SupaTim makes excellent points, as usual. A fun extra tidbit:

A fun stage to practice positioning and "pressuring" (I just like to call it harassing :P) is Saltspray Rig. When you're on the ledge overlooking the lower center area, or on one of the high perches near the upper middle, very few weapons can directly retaliate against you, while you can cover most of the surrounding area with ease. Squelchers may fire "slowly" but they all shoot ink the length of a football field.

TheChillyGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ToadAli
@SupaTim Thanks, I already have the shoes, and the head, and someone in my clan gave me the shirt a few days ago. Too bad I already used all my snails :(

@Dessgeega Im going to try that actually! My friends have told me that squelchers have an easy time being at high ground, never thought it was true!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Oh, absolutely! Squelchers are kinda like chargers for people who hate chargers, haha, instead of raw splatting power you've got automatic fire and actual ground-covering ability :P Getting on high with squelchers is a great way to cover tons of ground (relative to the mode) and also take out opponents.

TheChillyGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ToadAli
Okay, I have a few good stages I have found for dual:
Saltspray (Probably Best)
Arrowana
Resort
Moray Towers
Museum
Ancho-V
Camp Triggerfish

What do you think?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You'd be surprised by how well the squelchers can work on most stages. Using Blackbelly Skatepark as an example, there's a great number of walls you can fire from and duck behind to pressure people. In Kelp Dome your reach is good enough that you can reliably fire over the walls! The weapons really only falter on stage/mode combinations with a lot of uninkable obstacles that can block your spray.

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
I find that run speed is better for this weapon than swim speed. It allowed me to back up a little when someone approaches me head on. Since it has longer range than a lot of weapons I get the kill.
I also do ink saver and ink recover like you posted.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
In blackbelly you can stand on the right overlook (over where your splatzone is, I think the callout is "snipe") and basically kill everything that comes down the right side. The jet squelcher can hit stuff on the tower, but even the dual squelcher can take out anyone except a sniper coming straight at you or from the ramp. You can basically lockdown the whole side by yourself.

I love the DS in walleye and piranha pit as well. Both are fairly open maps with a lot of room to maneuver, which is great for the DS. You have to be more mobile on these sorts of maps, pressuring when you need to and retreating at other times. You are also sort of a backline fighter, so you have to be aware of flanks (hello echo) and reposition to cut off enemies.

I honestly hate arowana because I often find myself in close quarter situations and while the DS can be ok in those situations, if you go 1v1 vs a tentatek, nzap, jr, splash/sploosh, or even aerospray at close quarters it will result in your death. I tend to like burst bomb weapons in that map because I can be close up or have range depending on the situation. Same is also true for Flounder - too much close quarter combat. Not that the DS can't be good on these maps, because it has the versatility, but I tend to use something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom