Dualies - the meta

PhilipChrs

Inkling
I played Splatoon a lot, and recently got into the follow up. Its easy to predict which weapon half of the team will choose, its getting annoying. I always thought 1 was somewhat balanced, and its certainly not anymore. Carbon roller and slosher not what they used to be. I really dont understand how the developers cant see the dualies are too OP. Do they even have any drawbacks? The ability to roll should hamper them in some way. Should sloshers be one hit kill then? No they have an advantage, but so does dualies without being a lesser weapon. The time to kill is insane good.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Dualies really aren't, and they certainly aren't meta as a whole in the competitive sense.

Dualies have the dodge roll mechanic, but the mechanic itself is not flawless, all dodge rolls come with a degree of end lag after they're used the maximum number of times. Meaning you're a sitting duck for those frames. This might be relatively short, but experienced players can take advantage of any type of frame disadvantage and the dodge roll end lag is one of them. This is especially true to the Tetra Dualies, which force you to stay in place for about a whole second if you use up all 4 dodge rolls in succession. Then also the simple fact that dodge rolls are pretty ink guzzling.

Then comes that Dualies do come with naturally less accuracy compared to other weapons. This isn't really noticeable with the Splat and Glooga since their accuracy separated is still about the same as a Splattershot (accuracy is increased to Splash-o-matic tier after roll). But the Dapple, Squelcher, and Tetra Dualies on the other hand you do feel their inferior accuracy outside of dodge rolls.

Then comes the fact that typically, Dualies tend to be slightly inferior weapons to their closest Shooter class equivalents, the dodge rolls typically are what make up for their below average performance.

Then you still have to account that subs and specials also play a huge role in the viability of the weapons.

Dualies are good weapons for the most part, but they aren't breaking any barriers. Dodge rolls are a fine mechanic, and as a Splat Dualies player myself I take great advantage of them, but they aren't meta shifting.

In typical play, Dualies are a pretty common weapon type seen, they're simply pretty decent weapons. They're also the new face of Splatoon 2. But they're not collectively meta, nor are they particularly OP.

Last edited:
Beside the Enperry Splat Dualies (thanks to the jet pack) which appears in few competitive games, and in a even smallest proportion the nouveau, none of the other Dualies are in the meta at the moment.

So no, the dualies are not OP.

Belial

Full Squid
I think they're just only popular in casual play because they're pretty fun and easy to learn. Plus some weapons lost their usefulness with the transition to Splatoon 2's new map designs and higher amount of combat encounters. In splat1 I ran aerospray "pacifist", then in splat 2 I took up tri-slosher and dualies mostly because I figured out aerospray was garbage now pretty quickly. I only use tri-slosher in tower control and dualies elsewhere. Knowing the various duallies though I also will agree with the poster above that only a couple are meta. Dualies really vary in quality.

OP is when you run into a good main user of splat roller, a good variety of charger, or heavy splatling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom