Duolingo but for Map Callouts -- Does it exist?

bae95

Inkling
Closest thing I've seen are random decks on quizlet, but I want to know if there's any program that's been fed in map callout data and repeats it in form of a quiz, especially with voice recognition.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114

This is a spreadsheet someone sent me. It doesn't have map callouts but it has a bunch of other stuff I've found helpful. but as far as I know there isn't any dedicated quiz thing specifically for callouts.

Tree

Inkling
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-3523-5844-5506
Closest thing I've seen are random decks on quizlet, but I want to know if there's any program that's been fed in map callout data and repeats it in form of a quiz, especially with voice recognition.
I don't know about anything quite like what you're looking for, but I've used Anki with the Image Occlusion Enhanced extension with the community callouts.

Julian³

Inkster Jr.
Not that I am aware of no, if you want to practice remembering callouts a good method is to set up a second screen with the callouts of the map you are playing on and start doing callouts as if you are in a set (this could be anywhere, even turf.)

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Seconding Anki decks with the Image Occlusion Enhanced plugin overtop the community callout maps. They leave a lot to be desired but they get the job done. A specialized webapp or similar for them would be sooo useful though.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
...i thought we were talking about translation between languages lol

Tree

Inkling
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-3523-5844-5506
Seconding Anki decks with the Image Occlusion Enhanced plugin overtop the community callout maps. They leave a lot to be desired but they get the job done. A specialized webapp or similar for them would be sooo useful though.
ooooo that might not actually be that hard to make. I don't wanna promise anything since i'm kinda busy rn but I might be able to make that over the weekend. would there be anything specific you would want?

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
ooooo that might not actually be that hard to make. I don't wanna promise anything since i'm kinda busy rn but I might be able to make that over the weekend. would there be anything specific you would want?
Oooh! Honestly I think even having something that is just as bare-bones similar to Anki's image-occlusion + callout maps functionality, that just doesn't require someone to install a desktop application and download and sync a deck to an account just to use in-browser, would be a fantastic learning tool that would be more accessible and easy to use. But it would be optionally neat to have additional features like a timed/speed-drill mode, multiple choice mode, a pretty interface, etc.

This is likely way out of scope but, what I dreamed of eventually doing (as Anki decks, but anything that functions similarly would also work) is collecting a ton of screenshots taken from actual matches, marking up the visible callout positions on those, and use those as occlusion flash cards (in addition to the map-view occlusion flash cards). I feel like it would help a lot to bridge the mental gap between the top-down map view and what things actually look like in the field mid-game. But collecting an adequate number of screenshots for each map, each position, from a variety of angles, etc., labeling all of them and making them into flash cards is a lot of tedious work and requires far more time than I have to spare these days. Maybe it's something that could be more easily crowdsourced and built up over time, but I'm not really sure what an efficient process for that would look like, nor am I a good project manager, hah. But if anyone wanted to take that concept and run with it, feel free!

bae95

Inkling
Oooh! Honestly I think even having something that is just as bare-bones similar to Anki's image-occlusion + callout maps functionality, that just doesn't require someone to install a desktop application and download and sync a deck to an account just to use in-browser, would be a fantastic learning tool that would be more accessible and easy to use. But it would be optionally neat to have additional features like a timed/speed-drill mode, multiple choice mode, a pretty interface, etc.

This is likely way out of scope but, what I dreamed of eventually doing (as Anki decks, but anything that functions similarly would also work) is collecting a ton of screenshots taken from actual matches, marking up the visible callout positions on those, and use those as occlusion flash cards (in addition to the map-view occlusion flash cards). I feel like it would help a lot to bridge the mental gap between the top-down map view and what things actually look like in the field mid-game. But collecting an adequate number of screenshots for each map, each position, from a variety of angles, etc., labeling all of them and making them into flash cards is a lot of tedious work and requires far more time than I have to spare these days. Maybe it's something that could be more easily crowdsourced and built up over time, but I'm not really sure what an efficient process for that would look like, nor am I a good project manager, hah. But if anyone wanted to take that concept and run with it, feel free!
Do you have any experience with app development (i.e. javascript frameworks) or a browser compatible game engine (i.e. Godot)?

kindredcurse

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2579-9462-1891
it sounds like a fun coding adventure! not sure how much use i'll be, i have some basic general coding experience but not a lot of knowledge in any specific language or engine. but i'd love to stay in the loop, maybe i can help by providing assets or something. reach out if any of you would like

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Do you have any experience with app development (i.e. javascript frameworks) or a browser compatible game engine (i.e. Godot)?
I wouldn't say I have zero experience with those things but most of my development experience was relevant in maybe 2010 and things have changed tremendously. I could possibly still contribute to such a project (and I'd like to!) but I am probably not the best person to start it, hah.

Jayspency

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1085-1596-9606
Best thing i could suggest is printing out flashcards lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom