Dynamo Rollers, are they too cheap?

Raindrops

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mikeypie2010
I can't help but feel like those roller have too many pros to cons.
Pros:
-Wide area of coverage
-A huge amount of damage
-Long reaching flick distance

Cons:
-Takes a but to flick
-Runs slow

It doesn't seem fair to me, but what do I know? I was hoping to get your opinions/ways to counter them. They destroy me.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
They get horrible whenever there's a lot of lag around, to me. Seeing them swim in my ink and then jumpflick at nothing killing me gets me salty to no end.

Otherwise, they are pretty reasonably balanced. Another con it has is that it's mobility is atrocious: With the flick being as slow as it is, once a Dynamo gets stuck in enemy ink it'll have to throw a flick at the ground to free itself. None of it's kits have bursts to mitigate this, meaning it becomes easy pickings while it's spends an eternity freeing itself.

They are probably becoming a lot more popular because chargers get less common since the patch, E-Liter in particular, which did a fine job countering Dynamos.

Raindrops

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mikeypie2010
That point if them getting stuck in ink would be a good point, if you could get close to them. If they spot you first, it's pretty much game over . They have incredible range with their flick. It's hard to get close enough. They would have to already be stuck to be able to get a drop on them, and then, it doesn't matter because they don't see you coming.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
From my experiences being terrible with them:

- They are vulnerable when flinging ink. They're basically stuck for a few seconds flinging, meaning they are especially susceptible to things like well-placed bombs, sniper shots, and even just general gunfire.
- They struggle more when in enemy ink. Since they take so long to fling, getting their own ink underneath their own feet can be annoying if caught out.
- Despite their range, they are still not very good against even longer-ranged weapons. From close to mid range, they're pretty nice. Further away, they'll struggle against snipers and long-range shooters/splatlings.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
They used to utterly destroy me before the several nerfs they got over time. I used to hate them with a passion too, partly due to the fact that I am mainly a closer range weapon user. Before the Dynamo nerfs, the only weapon I was good with that could counter them was the heavy splatling. Back then, you needed long range weapons to counter Dynamos effectively.

Now, I find them far more manageable, since it's harder for them to move around, it takes more to get a kill with it, and most short range weapons had been buffed while Dynamos got more nerfed. My strategy is to never approach them directly, as a direct hit is usually still an immediate splat. I treat them like chargers, if they see me, I just get back and wait till I can approach at an advantage.

Ellen

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EllenM92
For me, my issue with them depends on the weapon I'm using. If I'm using the 96 deco for example, I find them easier to deal with because of my splash wall and good range. But when I'm using my Tentatek I struggle a bit more, since it's mid range and it's a 3 hit splat. Overall though, even though their wind up time for flicks is long, the flick itself travels an absurd distance. And I can't believe the tempered dynamo is a thing... all the dynamo's strength plus seekers and seeker rush. Yeesh.

Raindrops

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mikeypie2010
For me, my issue with them depends on the weapon I'm using. If I'm using the 96 deco for example, I find them easier to deal with because of my splash wall and good range. But when I'm using my Tentatek I struggle a bit more, since it's mid range and it's a 3 hit splat. Overall though, even though their wind up time for flicks is long, the flick itself travels an absurd distance. And I can't believe the tempered dynamo is a thing... all the dynamo's strength plus seekers and seeker rush. Yeesh.
I believe that the Tempered as a Killer Wail.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Well, as many ways there are to work around them, I don't think there is much room for discussion that they are cheap. They're not hard to use and the flick very often doesn't even take long enough for even shooters to kill you before you kill them, unless they're using Gals or Splattershots. And their reaction speed and aim needs to be top notch while you don't have to worry too much about either. Since they also cover so much turf, they often also leave you only with the option to run at the right distance and narrow space.

I'm going to say the Dynamo concept is not good. I don't think a long-ranged roller is a concept that would have been likely to go well anyway. However, cheap doesn't always mean dominating or overpowered and I don't see the Dynamo as a weapon type that outshines all others. Far from it.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I don't think they're really that cheap. Their flick size is bigger and inks up more, but it's not like you ink up all the space they can go to, and you're so slow that they still have plenty of time to move around and ink up more. I feel like the Dynamos have to worry a lot more about aiming than a shooter going for them-A Dynamo has one chance and then has to wind up again, while a shooter can get in a lot of shots and move around as they do so, making it harder for the Dynamo. (I had an awful time when I first used a Dynamo, ending in 1/5, so I know it's not easy enough to pick up right away)

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
After the recent nerf, I find they incredible kill power and range is properly mitigated by their poor mobility and ink consumption. It feels a good bit harder to use with the Swim Speed decrease, and the long fling charge gives a reasonable window to attack it.

karl childers

Full Squid
In general, Dynamos tend to have strong advantages against short-ranged weapons and strong disadvantages against long-ranged ones - of course this can vary from time to time. Furthermore, Dynamo seems cheap at a beginner's level due to the pressure they create for the opponent. Once a Dynamo flicks at you, you have only a second to kill him or escape. Many inexperienced players with subpar aim will often die in those situations, but an expirienced player who has good aim will often kill or at least trade with the Dynamo. Thus the higher the level of competition gets, the less cheap the Dynamo is.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
Imagine one of those game machines in arcades where you have to press a button at the right moment to get a prize. Same thing sort of comes from facing a Dynamo. You have to time yourself correctly and be clever enough.

Inkling Ash

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Zachy_Dad
I don't think so, I know that they are scary and all but I watched high level videos. I saw dynamos getting beaten up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom