Effective team building and strategies?

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
We all know Splatoon is fundamentally a team based game. That's a no-brainer. The difficult part is what weapons we should assign to each teammate what different strategies we should employ to work with those weapons. Let's go back and look at the three basic weapons again.
  • Rollers cover ground well but have very limited range thus they are exclusively a melee weapon.
  • Chargers have the longest range yet and great power for killing off oponents but it needs time to charge, hence the name "charger", which makes them best suited for support and lackluster head-to-head.
  • Finally, the splattershot is the most versatile with average ground covering, power and range which may not make them best in any one situation but they can give it a decent shot.
As you can see, all of these weapons have roles to play although the splattershot is a lot more flexible. So lets make a basic strategy here. My team consists of two splattershots, one charger and one roller. What will happen is the one roller will be ahead of the rest covering ground with always someone to cover him if he finds himself in a rough situation because of his limited range preferably one splattershot so we have another covering ground somewhere else with the player with the charger up high helping to essentially to keep pressure off them with eyes in the sky of creating paths for them to go across.

This is a very bare bones example. Real games will have different types of main weapons (eg. Splattershot jr), sub weapons, gear abilities, not to mention different maps. Consider this as an early team building thread and starting to get the main idea of what strategies you could employ. Give me your suggestions below.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
Yea your strategy seems to be the common team composition so far. The only thing I see that may be different is if someone wants to use the ink brush.

The ink brush user would probably replace a charger due to their similar roles on the battlefield. While the charger is better for area denial and the brush is better for ambushes, both make it harder for the enemy team to advance. The ink brush would be used for a more aggressive team and the charger would be used for a more passive 'hold'.

Either way from all the strategies I have seen so far, the general consensus of team composition is what you said. 1 Charger, 1 Roller and 2 Shooters.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
This all depends on whether you are with randoms online or with friends, it would be difficult to implement tactics with randoms unless the tactic is very well known and widely used.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
This all depends on whether you are with randoms online or with friends, it would be difficult to implement tactics with randoms unless the tactic is very well known and widely used.
This is for friends. If it were randoms only this thread would be pointless. What I'm trying to say is that this is an early team bulding place. A well balanced team is going to win over something like 4 rollers.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
This is for friends. If it were randoms only this thread would be pointless. What I'm trying to say is that this is an early team bulding place. A well balanced team is going to win over something like 4 rollers.
Well we aren't going to have private matches until August and being on the same team with all the people you know is going to be difficult since the teams are randomized in pubs after each match, but with what you said then sure, team organization and chemistry will be extremely important to success.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
in splatoon, since map control is so crucial it's important to have a set that helps you with that. anything that's noncommital is going to be good, since the time to kill is so fast, and breaking into enemy territory is a crucial skill to have because they have access to squid form in it, so it's important to able to run away from a fight gone awry and come back when you think it's appropriate. so when i say noncommital sets will be good, that's to say that anything that lets you set up an engagement and/or take control of one is good.

because of this, i wouldn't want too many rollers on my team. they're ok with ink coverage, sure, but because they can't really cover ink in front of them besides meagerly flicking the roller, that makes them a passive, defensive class, and if they want to get frags they have to smartly flank to get the instakill. they remind me a lot of the pre-2013 axtinguisher/degreaser set up in tf2; they're a threat to be aware of, but if you're careful with your position and are aware of what's going on around you, you'll be fine. this is especially true because of the map; even if you can't see the enemy team directly on it, you can see all the ink being covered up, so you can see a roller coming into your territory by the long trail of ink going through it on the map.

chargers... we'll see. i wouldn't want too many of them either, since if they can't directly help you from their effective distance, if they're not doing so well it turns firefights into 3v4s (assuming there's only one charger on your team.) there's a lot of benefits to having a charger, such as mid/long range support that can pick off key targets, firing ink in a straight line to swim up for rollouts, etc, but they're not a versatile class in a game where being adaptable is paramount.

shooters are very important to have since they're very general, adaptable weapons. they're probably the best in terms of ink coverage since they can shoot in front of them rapidly, allowing them to be aggressive with it (and it's more important to cover enemy ink than dry land, since inking over it gives you more percentage and they lose than percentage) and gives them a variety of movement options. even ignoring the hypothetical techniques like splatdashes/splatterhops they have immediate access to mobility options that gives them an advantage - you can ink up walls to get high ground, for example, much faster than a charger or roller can (unless you're using the ink brush.) since they're good tools for movement, ink coverage, and fragging, i'd want most of my team to be composed of them.

what weapons would i want my team to use, hypothetically?
  • the forge splattershot pro with the point sensor and inkzooka will be an amazing set for safely engaging the other team, since you can tag enemies with the point sensor and the splattershot pro has possibly the longest range out of any of the shooters we've seen. a fight isn't a commitment since you can squid out of their range and hit them while they can't hit you, and if they get smart and get out of the fight before they lose it, you can hit them with the point sensor for someone else to find them and finish them off. it's nice that the inkzooka is its special, too, since you can spam it and take enemy territory without losing ink, or go for safe frags.
  • the aerospray rg with the ink mine and inkstrike is a very all purpose loadout without much drawbacks to it. the aerospray is similar to the splattershot jr, but with a faster fire rate and less damage, however they're practically the same weapon since the time to kill is about the same because of the rate of fire. the biggest differences the aerospray and jr. will have is which one has the least wide spray, but both seem to be pretty wide; however, that's to their advantage. they're great tools for ink coverage since they cover so much ground in so little time. the only drawback is that they don't have much range to them, but not every map is going to have very open sights to begin with, and it's not hard to position yourself for a frag. the ink mine is a good sub because it's so noncommittal; just plop it down where the other teams players like to run through, squid out so you'll get the ink back, and you might get a free frag. if someone finds it with an ability like bomb sniffer or can just tell that it's there and sets it off, that's fine, you really haven't lost anything. the only downside to it is that if you're not getting any free frags with it, you could hypothetically be using mg set with the seeker for better results, but if you do you'll lose the inkstrike, which is a great special. its basically free area denial since it creates a wide "no enemy team here" zone thats an instakill when theyre hit, coats the radius with your ink, and you don't have to be anywhere near where you want it to land.
  • classic squiffler with point sensor and bubbler is probably the best charger if you want to be a team player, imo. it's not long range range, sure, so you have to position yourself closer to your team, but that's an advantage, i think. it also charges at a much faster rate, and is still a one hit kill when fully charged, so you can support your team by getting assassinations, and throw the point sensor at key targets for your team to track. the bubbler is basically an ubercharge, in the sense that it makes a push safe, so this is definitely a team-player weapon.
  • ink brush looks interesting since it's a roller you want to flick a lot, but we'll have to see once it comes out
this is all hypothetical, though, and are just the sets that i've thought about the longest. we'll see which sets turn out to be the most favorable once the game's out.

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
Team comp is going to be entirely map-dependent. Take the Testfire maps, for instance: the characteristics of each amplified or mitigated the effectiveness of particular loadouts.

Walleye
  • one main central area
  • visually cut-off ramps and close quarters
  • close-range geometries
I've seen a few Japanese players do well with a Charger on top of the cargo boxes, but there's a reason why Splattershot Jrs and Rollers were considered so in vogue over the course of the Testfires. The centralized focus of the map combined with its closed-in spaces encourages a high frequency of melee-range skirmishes. The ability to share the SSJr's bubble shield special is thus especially important, as its usage timing basically dictates whether ground is won or lost. The most ridiculously one-sided match I've experienced was a 3-man SSJr squad that bulldozed its way to spawnpoint--even with effectively infinite grenades, breaking through their combined control was all but impossible with a PUG.

Saltspray
  • high/low focal points
  • high visibility
  • high-ground advantages
In contrast to Walleye, Splattershot Jrs and Rollers seemed more of a liability on Saltspray. Especially when the enemy team had two Chargers up on the turrets near the center, one-shotting anybody that came up by the elevators. If you weren't able to reach the Chargers, you were in trouble--the short range of even the Rollers' splash damage made them easy targets to get sniped off. Regular Splattershots had an advantage here, being able to reach them from a safer distance. Burst bombs were also more effective deterrents, giving Charges no time to back off

There are a variety of factors to consider with loadouts, but the main thing above all is how you control range and area with the weapons you have. In one of the Skype chats, it's most common to consider the Roller as a defensive weapon, given its ink coverage, but I highly suspect this to be a mistaken impression. Having ink down isn't defensive--especially if splatdashing can be mastered as an escape technique. Being able to prevent ink-laying is defensive. While the Roller's important for establishing coverage area, what's actually defending the turf's the Charger's ability to hold the 50%+ line against pressure in an open map, or for the Blaster or Rapid Blaster to control narrow choke points.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
what weapons would i want my team to use, hypothetically?
  • the forge splattershot pro with the point sensor and inkzooka will be an amazing set for safely engaging the other team, since you can tag enemies with the point sensor and the splattershot pro has possibly the longest range out of any of the shooters we've seen.
That would be the Jet Squelcher, which actually has the same range as the Classic Squiffer.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
That would be the Jet Squelcher, which actually has the same range as the Classic Squiffer.
ah, right

still, it doesn't have to be the longest range shooter to be effective, the fact that it is a long range shooter is what makes it effective, in conjunction with its other good stats and weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom