• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Elimination tournament or Round Robin?

What do you think is better for competitive Splatoon?

• Elimination tournament

• Round Robin

Results are only viewable after voting.
NNID
P3dr0W
Lately after playing global test-fire I was wondering what would be the best way to have matches between Clans/Squads.
This Poll should give me a view how the future of competitive Spatoon could be.
I personally think, that Round Robin tournaments are better because your team will have a equal amount of matches like any other team and it can be played at a large period of time.

Sycho

Lurking in the Ink.
NNID
Sychotix23
Switch Friend Code
SW-5767-2138-7496
Depending on the size of the tournament I'd probably prefer Swiss to Round Robin.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It depends on the size of the tournament. The reason people don't use Round Robin in big tournaments is because it's takes far too long.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
It depends on the size of the tournament. The reason people don't use Round Robin in big tournaments is because it's takes far too long.
Very true. In another thread, I calculated/guestimated that it would take approximately 4 hours of game time and sixteen setups to resolve a tournament of only eight teams. Not exactly viable for a tournament where everyone needs to be physically present.

That said, for online tournaments, which people will probably see a lot more off in this game compared to, say, smash, if only because of the logistics involved, round robin becomes a lot more manageable, and it would be a good thing to have as many different matches as possible. So yeah, I'm all for Round Robin, though we might indeed want to switch to Swiss when the number of participants becomes particularly high.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Very true. In another thread, I calculated/guestimated that it would take approximately 4 hours of game time and sixteen setups to resolve a tournament of only eight teams. Not exactly viable for a tournament where everyone needs to be physically present.

That said, for online tournaments, which people will probably see a lot more off in this game compared to, say, smash, if only because of the logistics involved, round robin becomes a lot more manageable, and it would be a good thing to have as many different matches as possible. So yeah, I'm all for Round Robin, though we might indeed want to switch to Swiss when the number of participants becomes particularly high.
I completely agree with your statement.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Likely double-elimination will always be preferable. Considering how resource intensive running tournaments for this game will be, I doubt very many tournaments, if any at all, will be able to afford the time and resources to run round-robin.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Elimination, definitely.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Leagues will last much longer than regular tournaments (few weeks/months vs. couple of days max) so I'd say that using round robin in leagues would be quite natural choise and using elimination in regular tournaments since it takes so much less time to go through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom