Enemy Ink Damage

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Oh my glob, I made an actual discussion topic. TL;DR - Does anyone have a rough idea how long opponents typically stand in bad ink while maneuvering the battlefield? I'm trying to plan out how many damage ups are necessary for different weapons.

I'm a fan of stacking Damage Up for a number of different weapons to potentially reduce the shots to kill, given the enemy has been mucking around in bad ink in the last second or so. It works extremely well for Rapid Blasters and fairly well for Jets and Splattershot Pros, but I'd also like to test it out with Nozzlenoses, N-Zaps, Dual Squelcher, all sorts of shooters really. Securing reliable splats with the L3 with only one trigger pull sounds beautiful to me.

I understand that the damage from touching bad ink begins immediately, on the first frame, but the question is simply this: in an ordinary encounter, how many frames do you think people are in contact with this ink?

ex. If a frame comes out at 1/60 of a second, and people take 30 damage per second (12 with ink resistance), the minimum damage they can take in a single frame is 0.5 (or 0.2). If they're in this ink for several frames however, they may take more damage. Let's say... 1.5 damage for 3 frames and no ink resistance? That means in order to secure a 1 hit KO with a rapid blaster I would only need 2 mains and 4 subs for +23.5% extra damage (80×1.235=98.8). If i were looking for 99.9 damage though, I could go with 2 mains and 5 subs, or 3 mains and 2 subs. This is a dramatic increase and obviously restricts the other utility abilities I can choose from; this becomes a question of optimization.

What pre-damaged state should I plan for on close range weapons like Tentatek, Sploosh/Splash, N-Zap, etc?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I can't answer myself, but I'll be watching the answers that people give, given that this is very relevant to the Sloshing Machine (which, I believe, attains 99.9 only with a perfect Damage Up set [3 Mains + 9 Subs] but gets something like 92 with the realistic yet costly investment of 3 Mains). Also, a few questions - I assume that the information given in the OP is correct, which is new to me. Furthermore, how long does this damage persist? Is there a cap to ink damage, or can it go all the way to 99.9? Does it all heal instantly (like training dummies) or over time?

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Also, a few questions - I assume that the information given in the OP is correct, which is new to me. Furthermore, how long does this damage persist? Is there a cap to ink damage, or can it go all the way to 99.9? Does it all heal instantly (like training dummies) or over time?
I'm not sure that the sloshing machine is capable of hitting 99.9, as damage up caps at +30% and a direct hit from the weapon deals 76 damage.

After taking damage, there is a cool down of one second before you begin regenerating hp. The dummies in the test arena will show you when they begin regenerating hp by wiggling and playing a sound, but unlike inklings these dummies go straight to 0 damage. I don't know how quickly inklings regenerate.

Standing in enemy ink deals 30 damage per second and caps at 50, or 12 per second capping at 30 with ink resistance.

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
If you haven't already done it, maybe you can do some testing in Recon Mode during a Rainmaker rotation? Since you still take damage even when it's covered in your ink. (I think about 20pts?) And once it explodes it'll respawn surrounded by enemy ink. Could be a useful setup in testing damage persistence and health regeneration among other things.

As for how long someone is caught in enemy ink, it probably depends on why or how they're in enemy ink to begin with. Maybe guess on a pre-damaged state of 15~25pts if it caps at 50? I'm basing that on someone trying to escape an attack or won their fight against your teammate but took damage nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom