EU splatfest- Cats or Dogs

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
North vs. South was cool, Eat vs. Sleep was excellent. But it doesn't really matter, because Splatfests are just an excuse to play Splatoon. As with everything else in this game, everyone takes it far too seriously.
Well, this topic was to discuss themes, which includes opinions on themes. It's not really any wonder if people will be critical of the idea of such a theme in here. The reason why people are discussing such in here isn't because of taking it too seriously; it's because of the fact that this is the first instance a Splatfest is using a theme already used, and it is the EU Splatfest, which had previous themes most users on here and Miiverse were critical about to the point of it being common to poke fun at EU (such as the Left and Right Ear joke), despite your opinion on such themes being positive to you.

@redacteddd: But you said that this was "an all time low for themes", and that it doesn't help that the theme's results were controversial. The results aren't going to impact this Splatfest, so I don't see how choosing the Cats vs. Dogs theme would be bad because of the US results. If anything, the only thing you, in my opinion, logically complained about is the reusing of a past theme in general (although I do not share the opinion that it's bad doing this for EU's sake), if I'm not incorrect in my assumption.

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
So does that mean NA will get North Pole vs South Pole when the holiday season starts?

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Do you guys think we will get Japan Splatfest themes like white milk vs yellow tea? Its possible Transformers theme will be hitting other regions.
As far as that theme goes, no unless you mean milk as a drink by itself, and tea would be a different color as I don't see yellow plain tea so much. (Well, there's white tea, which is a pale yellow, but that's also kind of exotic.) Even then, there's no rivalry between milk and tea. A better rivaly would be coffee vs. tea, as you have pretty ardent supporters of both. (Me, I'm caffeine-sensitive, so I'd have to consume decaf versions of them, which isn't always easy to find.)

rndethan

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rndmuch
Was a hard decision but in the end I had to go with dogs... Even though my two small dogs act like cats and my first pet was a cat, I just couldn't choose cats with my dogs in front of me lol

Lorbeerprinz

Full Squid
NNID
lorbeerprinz
I'm actually pretty happy about this theme, it's much better than what we got... well, basically always apart from the very first one (Rock vs Pop) :/ I don't mind it's copypasted from the first US fest, at least it means it's actually some kind of decent topic. Though personally I hope they won't do that all the time now, I wouldn't want to get the damn Transformers theme.

btw, me = Team Dog, cats will lose again, I swear x'D
Oh, and speaking of it, this weekend, when it got announced, was also world dog day, maybe that's what inspired Nintendo to (re)use this certain theme...

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
At this point the only Japanese theme I can see being reused for other regions is the Grasshopper and the Ant. Grasshopper was for if you leave your work to the last minute or ant which was for if you do all your work right away (or maybe at a steady pace as well). I wonder what the outcome will be in NA because in JP it was an overwhelming victory in popularity and wins for Grasshoppers. It may be that some people may have voted for the insects themselves and not the theme behind them as I read some theories that grasshopper is a motif for one of them animes which may have biased them for Japan as well. Here we have the company Pixar here with Bug's Life so maybe the insect ants themselves may have a more positive reputation.

RoccoSquid

Inkling
I would like to know why the splatfest was delayed, we didn't get an explanation for that

But yeah, go Team Dog!

Last edited:

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
I would like to know why the splatfest was delayed lel, we didn't get an explanation for that
Why delayed? As far as I've seen the Splatfests do have a frequency between 3 and 4 weeks. Japan had 4 weeks between Sushi and Comedy, NA 3 weeks between Schoolsubject and Travel, EU 4 weeks between Bedroom and Pets. Also EU is 1 week after Japan like nearly always, for me everything is ok.

Lorbeerprinz

Full Squid
NNID
lorbeerprinz
Why delayed? As far as I've seen the Splatfests do have a frequency between 3 and 4 weeks. Japan had 4 weeks between Sushi and Comedy, NA 3 weeks between Schoolsubject and Travel, EU 4 weeks between Bedroom and Pets. Also EU is 1 week after Japan like nearly always, for me everything is ok.
There was a tweet from NoE apologizing for Splatfest being delayed, so yes, officially, it is a delay. So far the EU Splatfest always happened the same weekend as the US one if I'm not mistaken while the Japanese one was a weekend before that. I have no idea why it's different this time, but considering not being delayed would have seemingly meant that all three Splatfests had taken place during the same single weekend, I'm glad it didn't happen because I'm sure this would not have gone well in terms of connections...

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Well, those stats are from 2012, and probably not that accurate anymore (if they ever were lel).
But even if they are still accurate, there could still be more splatoon players who like dogs better than cats.
Would pet ownership really be that volatile to dramatically change between 2012 and 2015?

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
If there are certain fads that take off or fizzle out between then and now, or if there's government legislation that allows or prohibits particular things. Owning American Staffordshire Terriers has been under tremendous societal pressure, for instance, because of the dogs' nasty reputation for aggressiveness. You have people who will argue until they're blue in the face about them being menaces, and you have people who'll defend them to the death insisting they're peaceful and that owners make them aggressive. There could be a lot more or a lot less ownership of American Staffordshire Terrirers in the span of a year or so if one of these groups wins out.

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
Do you guys think we will get Japan Splatfest themes like white milk vs yellow tea? Its possible Transformers theme will be hitting other regions.
I seriously hope not. I don't think I've ever had yellow tea in my life, and milk is just milk.

Leave that to Japan. Or give it to Europe (lol).

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
For the record, the sponsor was Kirin (which makes beverages but specializes in beer), and the teams were milk tea vs. lemon tea. Team Milk Tea used an off-white ink, and Team Lemon Tea used a creamy lemon ink.

RoccoSquid

Inkling
Would pet ownership really be that volatile to dramatically change between 2012 and 2015?
Yeah, they could easily change, it's been 3 years and plenty of people could have gotten a cat or a dog, and some people will no longer have pets. I don't think random statistics are always that accurate.
But yeah, those statitics might not represent the splatoon players. There could be more dog owners than cats.

Last edited:

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Yeah, they could easily change, it's been 3 years and plenty of people could have gotten a cat or a dog, and some people will no longer have pets. I don't think statistics are always that accurate anyways.
But like I said, those statitics don't represent the splatoon players. There could be more dog owners than cats.
And there could just as easily be more cat owners than dogs among Splatoon players. :scared:

Here's Australia:

I mean, it's sorta relatively steady, and it's steady relative to one another.

RoccoSquid

Inkling
I thought the EU and NA splatfests were always the same weekend.
And there was a tweet confirming it was delayed

And there could just as easily be more cat owners than dogs among Splatoon players. :scared:
Maybe there's more fish owners than cat owners among Splatoon players :scared:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom