• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Fairly new squid, hit a roadblock, looking for competitive push in right direction

_horiizon_

Inkling
NNID
fadinghorizons
So i picked up Splatoon about two weeks ago, and if it wasn't for working late nights I'd be playing the living sh*t out of this game, so far I've gotten to level 25 and broke past B tiers and made it to A- (though I've had a couple losses as of late). Imostly main the .52 gal (as I like to be in the frontlines and serve as the vanguard for my team) and have been dabbling with the Custom Jet Squelcher specifically for tower control because I've noticed the range and sub/special weapons help me out for defending the tower. But once I hit A tiers, I felt lackluster and think I could do better in matches but sometimes it's literally the case of the other team being more in sync than mine and we lose. I really want to learn how to make it to S ranks since I really want to try out the competitive scene for Splatoon but I feel like no one would take me seriously if i dont have an S or level 50 in my description you know? So any experienced squids out there willing to lend me a hand? (sorry for long paragraph lol)

afroskull

Inkling
NNID
1AfroSkull
Hi there we have all been there no matter what anyone says... I am a level 37 S+ and I have been their between my S and S+ ranking. What I learned the hard way is that the only gear that matters in single player ranked is quick respond, swim speed up, and run speed up. In the last battles from my A to S ranked I lost a few battles while waiting to respond... Also the 52 is a great weapon stick with it at worst its a three hit kill. Plus during single player ranked no one takes the tower... When you can grab it until someone jumps to you and then run and gun again.... But overall good luck. I hope you do well.

Teeny Weeny Man

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Matt2179
You gotta carry. Every team has its scrubs, you gotta make the best of it. Dont think of a loss as being on a bad team, but rather a missed opportunity to carry, or someone on the other team carried harder. And the .52 and Custom Jet are both great, no worries there.

Also, squadding up with S players can be a nice shortcut.

Teeny Weeny Man

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Matt2179
You gotta carry. Every team has its scrubs, you gotta make the best of it. Dont think of a loss as being on a bad team, but rather a missed opportunity to carry, or someone on the other team carried harder. And the .52 and Custom Jet are both great, no worries there.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Sometimes it is just your team, however if your skill level is above the A ranks you'll move past it because you'll average doing better than worse (because theoretically you will be put with lackluster teammates at the same rate as everyone else who plays at that rank, at least in the long run). If you're getting stuck, then you likely just have to push your skill up another notch. Really it's hard to pinpoint anything you're doing wrong in particular with what you said in the OP. Try reviewing what you do when you play, what you're doing when you lose the tower/zone, or what you did that lead up to your death, and coming up with some key mistakes you make and then trying to solve them.

I also wrote a guide on the mindset or 'game sense' you need to take with you into splatoon to do best and improve the most. Maybe after reading it you'll come to see some areas where you can improve? It's in my signature if you're interested.

Flamelord054

Inkster Jr.
I find that the best way to get better is play the game like your life depends on it. Find some weapons that you like and become the best you can be with that weapon. Because I did this I have become one of the best Heroshot players around and got on Dynamite splatoon while I am still young. Some tips though are, if you play range, ABUSE YOUR RANGE. If you play mid or short range MOVE AROUND A LOT, and both speed boosts don't hurt either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom