• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Famitsu interviews confirm new music, development stuff etc.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
So Famitsu did interviews with members of the dev team, and nintendo everything took some quotes from it.

So this reveals:
  • inkling girl design was the first thing to happen
  • The Squid Sisters were originally divine messengers, literal idols
  • The ink sound effects were made from scratch
  • Trends will shift away from the Squid Squad in the future
  • DJ Octavio was originally a wasabi chef and the tempo of his music is set to wasabi making

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Well, this is an interesting read. Kinda diminishes our chances of ever seeing the Squid Squad in person, though. Ah well, might as well look forward to the new music that's to come.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Certainly an interesting read, that.
Wouldn't have guessed the girl inkling was made first, but I would've assumed they were made around the same time.
So we'll get new, and different, music in future updates? Awesome. C'mon dubstep
The ink sounds are pretty good, I wouldn't have assumed they were made from scratch. That must've taken a while to get just right.
The Squid Sisters were originally shrine maidens? I... kinda wanna see that, actually.
Definitely never would've guessed DJ Octavio was originally going to be a chef. Wonder what his giant robot would've looked like if they'd stuck with that. Or how NoA would have localized him (since I've read that the American dialogue is different from other translations, but TVTropes could've been wrong about that).

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Or how NoA would have localized him (since I've read that the American dialogue is different from other translations, but TVTropes could've been wrong about that).
The PAL version was basically a straight translation of his JP generic final-bossy dialogue, whereas the American version was spiced up to suit the theme of the guy.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Very interesting stuff. I look especially forward to an extended soundtrack. I like how they hinted at this with referencing the in-game band. Backed with all the sales, I hope the dev team gets the opportunity to spruce up Splatoon by a fair amount.

Strider_Bond00J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Strider_James00B
The Squid Sisters were originally shrine maidens? I... kinda wanna see that, actually.

Squid maidens of Squiddism and Octaoism represent!
All in all - the August update is looking to be very hype worthy - the gatling gun, Rainmaker and fresh new songs is always a nice thing.

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
I'm not surprised that the Inkling girl was made first, they're pretty iconic. Actually, I remember when the game was very first revealed at E3 I thought they were all girls.

Kind of amused at the idea that having a 'strong female character' would make it more marketable overseas. Not that I disagree at all, just kind of surprised that it crossed their minds in that way. It's a good thing, though.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very interesting stuff.

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21

Squid maidens of Squiddism and Octaoism represent!
All in all - the August update is looking to be very hype worthy - the gatling gun, Rainmaker and fresh new songs is always a nice thing.
I need this as my wallpaper now.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
The female inklings being designed first makes sense.

Also the whole divine squid sisters thing isn't surprising based off of the dialogue for splatfest where they receive word from 'On high' which is just a fax machine surrounded by candles. Also the sunken scroll for the fax machine has some surprisingly deep/profound quip about existence. Kinda weird that they probably have a shrine with a fax machine on it somewhere in Inkopolis.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Also the whole divine squid sisters thing isn't surprising based off of the dialogue for splatfest where they receive word from 'On high' which is just a fax machine surrounded by candles. Also the sunken scroll for the fax machine has some surprisingly deep/profound quip about existence. Kinda weird that they probably have a shrine with a fax machine on it somewhere in Inkopolis.
Actually, that does bring into question as to how the Splatfests are even announced. The fax machine is obviously beyond ancient technology by that point, so how do the choices even get sent in and by who? Are they faxed in on a timer years prior (which only brings even further questions as to why)? Is it someone hidden behind the scenes and it's just treated as a deity?

Or am I just acting like a crazy over-analyzing dope again.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Actually, that does bring into question as to how the Splatfests are even announced. The fax machine is obviously beyond ancient technology by that point, so how do the choices even get sent in and by who? Are they faxed in on a timer years prior (which only brings even further questions as to why)? Is it someone hidden behind the scenes and it's just treated as a deity?

Pay no attention to the squid behind the curtain.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord

Could be many things- Nintendo faxing splatfest news for future humanoid squids to find, Someone is running it like Judd for example, interference from another place/planet- earth has broadcasted images out in space before. It could even be something as boring as an ancient fax machine with such a huge backlogged printer queue that it has been shooting out random pictures for millenniums. My vote is on the last one.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
It could even be something as boring as an ancient fax machine with such a huge backlogged printer queue that it has been shooting out random pictures for millenniums. My vote is on the last one.
A long time ago a parent asks: I wonder what pet my children would want? *faxes a picture of a cat and a dog*
Later on: I wonder what kind of rides my children would like to go on? *faxes a picture of a roller coaster and a water slide*
Should we eat out or have a sleepover? *faxes a picture of something food related and something sleeping related*
What do kids like these days? Pop music or Rock music? *faxes related imagery*
I have no idea what kind of drink my kids would like. *faxes a picture of lemon tea and milk tea*
What kind of food do they like? *faxes a picture bread vs rice* *faxes later a picture of udon vs soba*

The parent then gets home to see if the children got the faxes and made a decision.

Parent: What do you mean you have not gotten those faxes?

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
A long time ago a parent asks: I wonder what pet my children would want? *faxes a picture of a cat and a dog*
Later on: I wonder what kind of rides my children would like to go on? *faxes a picture of a roller coaster and a water slide*
Should we eat out or have a sleepover? *faxes a picture of something food related and something sleeping related*
What do kids like these days? Pop music or Rock music? *faxes related imagery*
I have no idea what kind of drink my kids would like. *faxes a picture of lemon tea and milk tea*
What kind of food do they like? *faxes a picture bread vs rice* *faxes later a picture of udon vs soba*

The parent then gets home to see if the children got the faxes and made a decision.

Parent: What do you mean you have not gotten those faxes?
Or a little kid scanning random things and wasting toner and paper. I used to do that with a slew of random objects but my favorite was scanning these little plastic bugs because they looked so cool.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Parent: Aww, I am now the parent of a daughter. I have no idea what to name her. Should it be Callie or Marie? Let me fax it to my best friend rather than call because I don't want to look silly. *faxes the text of name ideas and no images on it*

the fax never was gotten then, but eventually...

Callie: Before we reveal today's stages, some special news!
Marie: What is it? What is it?!
Callie: We received word from... on high.
Marie: You don't mean?!
Callie: That's right, there's going to be a Splatfest soon!
Marie: OOH! What's the theme? What's the theme?
Callie: Just a moment! The theme is descending as we speak!
Marie: Let's see it! Let's see it!
Callie: Aaaand it's here! We've got the Splatfest Theme!
Marie: Let's hear it! Let's hear it!
Callie: All right then, I'll announce the theme!
Marie: *gulp*
Callie: The theme for the upcoming Splatfest is...
Marie: Wait for iiiiiit...
Callie: Uh, do you know how to read this?
Marie: I do not know how to read such a primitive looking language.
Callie: So should we just throw this in the shredder?
Marie: Sure why not?

*the fax that has the names Callie and Marie were unfortunately never able to be read so it was discarded and therefore it never became a Splatfest theme*

(I spent way too much time looking at a Youtube video announcing a Splatfest theme and then typing up all the text involved)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom