• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Favorite and Least Favorite Ranked Modes

Favorite Ranked Mode?

• Splat Zones

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Tower Control

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Rainmaker

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • I enjoy them equally

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • TurfWars4Life

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
After my atrocious losing streak during the previous Tower Control rotation and my sweet win streak during the current Rainmaker rotation.
Which is your least and most favorite Ranked Modes to play.
This is purely just for fun and not to get competitive technical in to this.

My favorite tends to be Rainmaker since I find it more intense and the mode moves at the pace of the players.

My least favorite is Tower Control, and by a large margin, mainly cause I just don't have a set up that works for me. Having to move at the tower's pace and on a preset path doesn't quite allow the same tactical maneuvers.

Then Splat Zones I like, doesn't have anything that really bothers me. Just enjoy Rainmaker more and detest Tower Control.

Poll added for favorite mode.

Last edited:

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
i like spatzones in general because usually all 8 players understand the concept and i get more competitive games where in tower and rain i find that there are alot of lopsided victories

Drip Bam Boozle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sludgetoon
My taste of rank modes have changed a lot.

Tower Control: I really enjoy tower control after the nerfs to blasters and the splashwall it really is more a well balanced game mode that forces pushing and pulling as a team. I still believe it is the hardest game mode, because fighting on the tower specifically is one of the most complex cut throat things I've seen in Splatoon, 100 percent risk-reward; do or die. Thankfully you don't have to be good at tower fighting because this mode rewards all types of roles!

TL;DR : Most variety in roles and skill

RainMaker: I still enjoy this game mode I think it has the most freedom for strategies. There are/were no restrictions on this mode and it rewards a lot of lone wolf play. I don't like it while I'm trying to grind through the S ranks, because I cant account for all the strategies. This mode is really fun with friends and less experienced players.

TL;DR : Chaotic and fun

SplatZones: I don't really enjoy this mode. But I will play it for points. Its like "math class" the mode. There is no room for anything new, the really good strats are really good and you can pretty much calculate the outcome when the match starts. Thats why I believe its the best for grinding the higher ranks. The worst part of it are the shut outs and the comebacks; They're slow, painful and extremely common. I've noticed that the 2 splatzone maps are a lot more fun ,but a lot more chaotic and unpredictable. So you have to pick between more Fun or More Buisness when even considering it.

TL;DR : Very black and white in gameplay. A real numbers game.

Turfwar: I love turf war

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I prefer Rainmaker because my playstyle is aggressive, wiping teams from every direction while my teammates handle the Rainmaker.

ProjectJ

Inkling
Always gonna dig that Splat Zones! Usually not people's favorite mode, but I really enjoy it. I especially like it on the 2 Zone maps, but I think I like it because it really feels most in line with what this game is. Covering and defending a specific zone always felt like the natural competitive extension to Turf War, which was clearly the original desgin. The demands can shift on a dime. When you're in control, you gotta play defense, but when you're taking control, you have to go on the attack. This is of course, also the moment where randoms tend to not coordinate, and just run straight into the enemy's meat grinder, but what can ya do?

Least favorite is Tower Control. I mainly use Blasters, so you'd expect this mode would be rewarding for me, but nah, don't really care for it. The tower is very slow, and unless it's a total blowout, progress is always tug of war-ing. Plus Kraken and Bubbler stalling will always make me extremely salty.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Tower Control used to be my jam, back when I first got the game. Then Rainmaker came out, and I had a blast with that. Then I started sucking at both modes, while doing surprisingly well in Splat Zones.

I don't play Ranked as much as I used to (for fear of dropping back down to B again), so it's kinda difficult for me to say which mode I like best/least. However, from the few games that I've played, my personal preference is a toss-up between Splat Zones & Tower Control. SZ is basically a more competitive extension of Turf War, and as a mainstay of that mode, I find I can keep doing what I usually do in the latter to a good extent in the former (depending on the weapon I'm using, mind). Tower Control is one that requires a great deal of teamwork to succeed, so I don't always do well at it, but it does allow a little room for me to play a more aggressive defense game.

Now I wouldn't say that Rainmaker sucks for me, but the experience was ruined when they decided to have it alongside maps that I really don't think mesh well with the mode (Flounder Heights and Moray Towers come to mind, but there's also Hammerhead Bridge). Plus, more often than not I'd find myself having to push the Rainmaker alone, since everyone else that tried ended up leaving us in a bad position. And I'm not that great at that sort of thing.

Ninwaifu

Inkling
NNID
Ninwaifu
#TurfWars4Life forever a noob!!! ( But for real I really like Rainmaker, the matches are normally short and tense. Not to mention the feeling I get when I slam dunk the rainmaker in one pick up.)

Bruce

Inkling
NNID
Random_Gentlemen
My favorite game mode is Tower Control. I like territory control modes and if the territory is moving, I find it really fun. As for my least favorite, Rainmaker. Even though it's my least favorite, I still really like it. But as I said in the beginning, I like territory control modes. (Also Happy New Years!)

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
Splat Zones is my favorite, I just really like how there's that area where all the competition is, yet you can still go to other areas on the map. That and it always feels really chaotic which I enjoy, while still not being too difficult.

Tower Control is my least favorite just because the tower feels like a constant target and you can't really get on it and ever be safe. I also always find it really difficult to splat anybody while riding it which I don't like.

However, I do like every single mode in the game. Turf wars are actually my favorite overall, but I usually can't play more than a few at a time anymore before I feel like playing ranked instead. (although it can still be addicting at times)

Zolda

Full Squid
Overall I like Splat Zones the most. I really enjoy the Heavy Splatling and with Splat Zones being the only mode where the objective is stationary, I have an easier time being defensive and making the best use of the Heavy Splatling's strengths. It's the mode I tend to perform best at and have the most fun with.

I like Tower Control as well, but it's probably my weakest mode. I've never quite found my niche in Tower Control like I have with Splat Zones, and although I can push the objective well I just generally feel more unsure of myself in this mode than others.

Rainmaker I like, but it can be frustrating since on some maps it's possible to get absurdly huge leads in very short periods of time. For example, on Triggerfish it's so easy to grab the Rainmaker at the start and immediately shoot off to the side path, and unless the other team already has someone over there it's impossible to actually do anything before the carrier has made massive progress completely unopposed. Rainmaker can just be a little too gimmicky.

As for Turf War it's, well, Turf War. I don't really have any strong feelings towards it one way or another, it's just the mode I play if I want to practice a new weapon or want to play a bit more relaxed than ranked.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
For me, rainmaker and splatzones are pretty close, but I'd probably go with rainmaker just because I love how intense it can be. I do also love turf wars though (it's what I play when I just want to relax, casually level up some gear, or maybe squid party ;)).

That said, I do not really like tower control that much. Not exactly sure why. I just find it kind of linear and predictable in a way that the other modes aren't. Even though splat zones is similarly fixed, I just find that it is generally much more intense and has more room for a variety of possible strategies depending on which map you're playing.

I do actually enjoy tower control on blackberry skatepark and hammerhead bridge though. Sometimes on Arrowana mall and moray towers as well.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
Love 'em all, i like to mix and match playstyles for rotations. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

MandL27

Inkling
NNID
MandL27
My favorite ranked mode is Splat Zones, mostly because they feel like mini Turf Wars. That and they give opportunities to charge specials without being splatted within two seconds of charging one up (most times).

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
For example, on Triggerfish it's so easy to grab the Rainmaker at the start and immediately shoot off to the side path, and unless the other team already has someone over there it's impossible to actually do anything before the carrier has made massive progress completely unopposed. Rainmaker can just be a little too gimmicky..
OMG I've done instant/cheap KOs with this method many times and never considered how rude of me it was. Very very rude. Bad me.
(but I got so much satisfaction out of it...)

-----

Tower Control: feels very methodical to me, which I like because I feel like I have more control over victory. When I lose, I spend less time wondering why. It seems obvious. If my team was uncoordinated, it really shows. If we got mowed over, we just weren't good enough. So I think it might be my favorite, BUT...

Rainmaker: is definitely the most fun. Chaotic and wacky but as others have mentioned, there are more WTF moments and very early game leads. I like Rainmaker on pretty much any map to varying degrees.

Splat Zones: Very intimidating to me. I find it difficult to master. Some stages I am very confident in my strategy (Triggerfish, Flounder) others I just go in and hope for the best (Hammerhead, Saltspray). I find it the most difficult to grind upper ranks with unless the map selection is favorable to my playstyle.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I love TC because it's pure chaos. People are slaughtering themselves in the most brutal ways possible while the tower just keeps chugging along with perky ice cream truck music.

Splat Zones can be fun, but also frustrating depending on the map. Some maps are really hard if you don't have a range advantage. Full team splat bomb rushes can make this mode feel kinda cheap though.

I don't care for Rain Maker simply because I've never been that good at it for some reason. I don't know why, I just never enjoy playing it and don't win very often.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
My least favorite is TC because it feels like a meat grinder, and my usual weapons aren't so great when I'm riding the tower. Anyone know of any good weapons besides Luna neo for this mode?

Most favorite is splat zones, because I enjoy how the match isn't over until the very last second, and games can last a while compared to RM.

Manwell

Inkling
NNID
Manwell
Most favorite is splat zones, because I enjoy how the match isn't over until the very last second, and games can last a while compared to RM.
I feel the exact opposite about Zones. So many games ends up being completely one sided if a team takes control of the map early. And games last half as long as TC/RM. IMHO they should have set it up so the zones are not static cause it just promotes ultra campy game-play which on some maps is incredibly difficult to fight against. But thats just me :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom