Splatoon 2 Final Ability Stacking Answer

Giga

Inkling
I'm sure I will get yelled at for asking this. I've been doing a lot of reading on ability stacking and as much info as I'm obtaining I still haven't gotten an exact answer on these following specifics....

I understand that stacking the same ability on one weapon will cause a decrease in the abilities added effect per slot. (Ex. Run Speed on main slot adds 25%. Adding a Run Speed to the secondary slot will only give a 12.5% addition and so on)

However what I can't find a clear answer on is does stacking apply across all gear.
If I have a piece of Head Gear, Clothes, and Shoes all with the same main ability, does the stacking decrease apply?

If I have the same ability once on each piece of gear in a secondary slot, does the stacking decrease apply?

If I have the same ability on a main slot for Head Gear and on a secondary slot for Shoes, does the stacking decrease apply?

It's these specifics I can never find. Usually everyone simply says... yes stacking exists and that's it. I also know about the sticky thread that goes into the math of the abilities effects but its the examples above that are not clearly stated from what I read.

Thanks.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Basically, a main slot is worth 10 points and a sub slot is worth 3 points, regardless of what gear they're on. Then there's a formula that determines how many points is worth how much improvement. There are tables, graphs, and formulas on splatoonwiki.org. Unique abilities are worth certain numbers of points, too: Comeback is worth 12 points to each ability it affects, Last-Ditch Effort is worth 24 points, and Opening Gambit is worth 15 points. I haven't seen what Tenacity is worth.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Go to loudout.ink to look at what certain builds/stacks give what benefits. There you can build any theoretical set you would like to have, or to see what you have now. Stacking applies all the time. Even if it's on different gear. Even if it's on the same gear. If you have 3 pieces of gear all with the same ability (12 times) then stacking decreases the value. The more of an ability you have the less effect it has. This is no reason not to stack but do you really need 12 of the same ability? This is another thing loudout.ink is helpful with. You can see what the difference is between having a certain amount of subs of an ability to stack, or if you want to invest those slots in something else. If you're using 12 swim speed ups, good for you but you might wanna think about how important some of those subs are as they could be used on something else. However with some weapons having like 9 or 10 of the same ability is completely fine if not encouraged for like charging specials super fast or other things.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Nah, no yelling to be had. To correct Mar$el's slight typo, he's referring to Loadout.ink . And yes, stacking applies across all gear you have. If you have the same ability on head, clothing, and shoes, it all stacks. This applies to sub abilities as well. Here's a useful page:
https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Ability

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Go to loudout.ink to look at what certain builds/stacks give what benefits. There you can build any theoretical set you would like to have, or to see what you have now. Stacking applies all the time. Even if it's on different gear. Even if it's on the same gear. If you have 3 pieces of gear all with the same ability (12 times) then stacking decreases the value. The more of an ability you have the less effect it has. This is no reason not to stack but do you really need 12 of the same ability? This is another thing loudout.ink is helpful with. You can see what the difference is between having a certain amount of subs of an ability to stack, or if you want to invest those slots in something else. If you're using 12 swim speed ups, good for you but you might wanna think about how important some of those subs are as they could be used on something else. However with some weapons having like 9 or 10 of the same ability is completely fine if not encouraged for like charging specials super fast or other things.
To piggyback on this point, statistical diminishing returns (while stacking abilities) does not necessarily mean actual diminishing returns. I think a lot of people automatically think that, because there are statistical diminishing returns, they shouldn't stack any abilities. That may be true but it's not definitely true. Maybe having three mains of swim speed ups helps your game more than having two swim speeds and something else.

But there are certain limits to that. Why stack four main abilities of main ink savers when you can mix in an ink recovery up or two? Why stack twelve swim speed ups when you can mix in a bunch of ink resistance so you can fly quickly over your own ink AND enemy ink? Certain abilities work so well together that it's better to use two abilities to achieve one goal than use a bunch of a single ability.

So my recommendation is to not sweat diminishing returns too much, but think about how you can use several abilities to better achieve your gear goals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom