First Impressions on Mackerel, NZap, and Splat Zones

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Hey everyone, here I'm giving my first impressions on the contents of the latest Splatoon update. Let's start off with the new weapon, the NZap 85. Its somewhat of a hybrid between the Splattershot and the Aerospray, which I like. I'm a big fan of splat bombs, and the Echolocator can be useful. It is definitely more suited for Turf Wars though, so I didnt use it much tonight, because I was mostly playing Splat Zones. Next let's talk Port Mackerel. The stage is pretty cool. It puts the players into very large bases full of corridors, and has a small center area. I only played one game on it, since it was on turf war, but I had fun. I think the moving bulldozers can add some strategy, too. And then, the main attraction, Ranked Battle, with Splat Zones! Splat Zones is a ton of fun! Its super hectic, and requires good teamwork. But that's my problem for now. I always get put with a team of freeloaders trying to snag easy cash and Experience. Overall though, I'm extremely pleased with all of the new content we got. What are your guys's thoughts?

PolarisAegis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kirbyfreek33
As a charger main, I haven't tried to use the NZap much. I very much enjoy Port Mackerel though, as it's a great charger stage and has a nice amount of turns thanks to the large grid-based design. I'm looking forward to more games on that map specifically.

As for Splat Zones though, I really feel kinda disappointed about them. I felt like I'd finally feel like I had some extra use by not running the stereotypical aerospray or splattershot jr, but I feel like I don't really have much of an impact on the match at all. Most of my opponents are just using jrs and thanks to having to stay in one place, I really just end up not being able to properly take advantage of half of the charger's usefulness since it's much easier for opponents to just camp at certain spots and even having minimal range isn't really a detriment because you have to be close enough to make a remote impact on the zone, and your'e generally close enough to kill any charger trying to ink the zone at all. I feel more like I'm just being a detriment to my team by not using a jr for the bubbler or similar strategies. It feels so much more like splat zones is just emphasizing the strength of the short-ranged fast-spraying shooters more than anything else, and I honestly just feel let down by that. The other ranked modes have me still feeling hopeful for the others, but Splat Zones specifically just doesn't really feel good.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
As a charger main, I haven't tried to use the NZap much. I very much enjoy Port Mackerel though, as it's a great charger stage and has a nice amount of turns thanks to the large grid-based design. I'm looking forward to more games on that map specifically.

As for Splat Zones though, I really feel kinda disappointed about them. I felt like I'd finally feel like I had some extra use by not running the stereotypical aerospray or splattershot jr, but I feel like I don't really have much of an impact on the match at all. Most of my opponents are just using jrs and thanks to having to stay in one place, I really just end up not being able to properly take advantage of half of the charger's usefulness since it's much easier for opponents to just camp at certain spots and even having minimal range isn't really a detriment because you have to be close enough to make a remote impact on the zone, and your'e generally close enough to kill any charger trying to ink the zone at all. I feel more like I'm just being a detriment to my team by not using a jr for the bubbler or similar strategies. It feels so much more like splat zones is just emphasizing the strength of the short-ranged fast-spraying shooters more than anything else, and I honestly just feel let down by that. The other ranked modes have me still feeling hopeful for the others, but Splat Zones specifically just doesn't really feel good.
Splat zones encourages the use of the 52 Gal weapons, and rollers for their splash attack. Chargers will be crucial to tower control, though!

PolarisAegis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kirbyfreek33
Splat zones encourages the use of the 52 Gal weapons, and rollers for their splash attack. Chargers will be crucial to tower control, though!
So I get to wait another month or so before my weapon of choice is actually good at something? Fantastic.Seriously, the fact that the shooters generally get the much more useful specials and such is honestly ridiculous. The range deficit is barely a detriment because of squid form existing.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think the N Zapper is neat, Splat Zones is really not great without communication at all but the new map is neat. :)

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
So I get to wait another month or so before my weapon of choice is actually good at something? Fantastic.Seriously, the fact that the shooters generally get the much more useful specials and such is honestly ridiculous. The range deficit is barely a detriment because of squid form existing.
Chargers are pretty good in Turf Wars

PolarisAegis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kirbyfreek33
Chargers are pretty good in Turf Wars
Yep, I know that, it's just the frustration of everyone talking up how useful chargers would be in splat zones only for it to be the opposite talking. I think I honestly just find turf wars a lot more enjoyable in general just because it feels a lot more fun to just cover a ton of ground in color.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Yep, I know that, it's just the frustration of everyone talking up how useful chargers would be in splat zones only for it to be the opposite talking. I think I honestly just find turf wars a lot more enjoyable in general just because it feels a lot more fun to just cover a ton of ground in color.
I think Turf wars are better with strangers, but Splat Zones better with friends, since it requires and obscene amount of teamwork

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Who says Chargers aren't useful in Splat Zones? Maps like Saltspray Rig are absolutely ruled by them.

As for the N-Zap 85, love the main weapon but hate the loadout. I'll be all over the 89 variant once it's out.

Aura

Infiltrator
Who says Chargers aren't useful in Splat Zones? Maps like Saltspray Rig are absolutely ruled by them.
I figured as much. Haven't played Zones yet but by the sounds of it, I'll have to practice my strafing.

My experience with Chargers comes from Turf War, where movement is key. Never really had an issue dealing with pesky snipers except on Saltspray but even then it's minimum. But it's nice to hear they're possibly more threatening in Zones. Could be a nice change of pace.

Heard about that zapper though. My dream of a new bomb-bubble set was crushed, but that's cool. Junior will still dominate.

Lapsy143

Full Squid
NNID
Lapsy143
NZap is a god at killing (taking 0.83 seconds to kill if all bullets land), and works decent in both Turf and Zones. However, it's better in the latter, because it's not the best at spreading turf. It's really a fun balance, being accurate and getting kills, and not having much of a ink spreading tool. However, the bombs help a bunch, and the Echo is really good for team play. 8/10 Ninetndo!

Lefty

Nice la~
I feel like the new map is really snowbally. You either push really well or get pushed back hard. So far all of my games on the map have been landslide victores or defeats. Since its so linear jr and aerospray dont work well, cause you get outranged easily in such a small area. This is all from experiencee

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
The thing I hate most about splat zones is extra time. Comebacks were painful enough in turf war, I don't want another mode were I can be leading the whole time and lose at the end

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising

I disagree. Splat chargers are super important in splat zones. Their job is much more different that everyone else's. The reason being that their job is to eliminate the other team, not gather the turf. They are supposed to get rid of them so that the other members of their team can gain the turf. They have their role, its just separate from others. You just have to learn that you have a different job than everyone else.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Splat Zones feels fun. I can already tell I'll like it a lot better when we can have dedicated teams though. I can see it getting really frustrating doing a lot of work only to lose rank points because you got stuck on a team of people who are asleep at the controller.

The new map is really fun in my opinion. The tight corridors and the moving objects make it really unique feeling.

And I'm a big fan of the N Zap. Especially in turf wars. I got some pretty decent scores and was able to spread quite a bit of ink with it last night. Plus, the range and accuracy make it a much safer option than the Jr for me. I've been using the Rapid Blaster to great effect in Splat Zones though.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Inkling
Zapper is amazing in zones, because of it's range and accuracy it's main use is to take out opposing team members, though it can cover ground pretty well. I've actually held the entire zone mostly by myself with it on underpass because of how quick it can kill

PolarisAegis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kirbyfreek33
I think Turf wars are better with strangers, but Splat Zones better with friends, since it requires and obscene amount of teamwork
I think weapon choice based on the map is much more important in Splat Zones as well, as half of the maps are really goood for some weaopns
I disagree. Splat chargers are super important in splat zones. Their job is much more different that everyone else's. The reason being that their job is to eliminate the other team, not gather the turf. They are supposed to get rid of them so that the other members of their team can gain the turf. They have their role, its just separate from others. You just have to learn that you have a different job than everyone else.
True, I will need to keep that in mind. I generally run with inking the long hallways in Turf War, so I tried to use that strength primarily in Splat Zones since each of them (not counting blackbelly) are generally long and moderately thin. That said, it still is frustrating when you get a triple squid and your allies are faffing about not helping to fill the zone ^_^;

TimpaniGamer

Full Squid
NNID
TimpaniGamer
The N-Zap is a pretty good weapon, although I'm not going to use it for Ranked Battles, despite what everyone's been saying in this discussion. After all, it's special weapon (Echo Locator) becomes pointless when most people gather in the same place. Just use the Aerospray MG if you like rapid-fire, since the Inkzooka is great for taking out snipers.

The new Splat Zones are really great! It feels so much more combat-focused and intense than Turf Wars (meaning it's easier to get angry, although it's the good kind of angry :D). The initial sprint to the splat zone is especially interesting, since spending time inking the beginning will most likely mean doom. The strategies used to rush to the zone can also make a huge difference in the end.

Port Mackerel is a really unique stage, as it's really narrow. I've found that certain bombs can do wonders here in these hallways. The two trucks that move around are especially notable, since they have their own strategies and dangers. Once, someone was apparently super jumping to a guy who I splatted in the path of the truck I was on. The truck moved right into his jump path, and I was immediately splatted. I can't wait to see the crazy shenanigans that come from this stage!

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I'm enjoying using the N-Zap 85, it might not be fantastic for spreading turf, but it works well enough, and has pretty good range considering the rest of it's stats. It'll probably end up one of my main weapons. Port Mackerel is a very interesting map, it didn't look too appealing visually at first, but the close walls and trucks make it really unique, and it stands out as one of my favorites so far. As for Splat Zones, I actually like it...certainly not better than Turf Wars, but it's a much different experience, so I don't think you can really compare the two. It's much closer and more intense which I like, only thing is that on certain maps you basically just stay in one area.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splat zone is very fun. Love the intense feeling it gives. Always a nice experience. It's also quite a sight to always see ink Strikes flying. The comeback timer may be slightly overpowered, but I still think it is fine.

N-Zapper '85 is interesting. Not for offense though. Mainly a support weapon and should be treated as such. You really shouldn't be picking fights with this weapon.

Port Mackerel, I need more experience but it is ok. I have felt the one sided nature of it like others have said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom