First set of gear to try and get perfect?

6thChance

Inkling
So I've been playing a few weeks, did my fist spaltfest, got some clams, a few tickets, and some gold.

I think I'm ready to start working on my first set of gear. I was told in a different post that Swim speed, Inc recovery, and special charge are good on everything.

I don't doubt that was solid advice. I'm curious if anyone has dissenting views, and what hat/shirt/shoes I should spend my time working on.

If it helps, I've been using splattershot and slosher type weapons (currently playing around with the sploosh and machine respectively. )

Help me with my first setup!

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I like the run ink saver and ink recovery with the slosher.
Its hard to say what gear to grind. It all depends on the play mode and your style. For example I like to have a few Quick Super Jumps when I play Tower Control. Swim Speed ups for Rainmaker.. So on and so forth.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Those are all good, versitile abilities. My suggestion is this:

-Learn what brands favor what abilities. You don't have to memorize, there are charts on here and elsewhere, bookmark one on your phone or computer and keep it handy when you play.

-when you are shopping for gear (which you should do daily in the game and a few times a day using the app), assume that you will fill that gear's sub-slots with its favored ability. For example, if you see a Splash Mob hat with Swim Speed Up main, you are potentially purchasing a hat with SSU main and 3 subs of Ink Saver Main. (Sorry for the double-use of "main", means 2 different things in this context).

-prioritize buying and using 1-star gear that you expand to 3 slots with your snails. This is not required, also buy what you like, but it makes things go a lot faster.

-play with your gear, fill slots, and scrub chunks. Every once in a while you will roll 3-of-kind subs, stop scrubbing, that gear is done.

-do this with lots of pieces of gear until you have close to or more than 30 chuncks of the abilities you find most useful.

-pick a few pieces of gear that you want to "perfect", and play/scrub until you roll 2 of the preferred subs, then replace the third sub slot using your chunks. (Note-always play till you fill all 3 slots, I am not suggesting you have to roll the first 2 slots the same and then fill the third using ability chunks, you can use ability chunks to replace any slot you want)

-note that you do not need perfect gear. A lot of times I'll roll 2 preferred subs and a third that is the same as the main or matches other gear that I like, so I just leave it like that.

-Do this with lots of gear and after a while you'll find that you have a lot of flexible, mix-and-match gear options.

-I find this to be a lot more productive than the whole drink-ticket method of going for pures, which are unecessary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom