Fixing (ranting about) online Splatoon.

Munchy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lordmunchy
If I'm A rank, pit me against other A ranks, not B- players, not A+ players, I don't want to play with people who are less (or more) skilled and/or experienced, it's stupid, and it ruins the balance of the meta. Nintendo, did you only just realise that this thing called the online exists? I honestly can't believe how long it took for them to finally make an online multiplayer game, and when they do, it disconnects every other game, stupid. Also, what's with all the lag and the frame drops? It's sickening, do something about it. Why do I lose points when I disconnect unwillingly? Something tells me that's not fair, especially when my team is in the lead, do something about it, Nintendo. This whole online experience would be one of the best if it wasn't for all these flaws, I really hope they do something about these issues in the upcoming update, if they don't, there'll be a lot of unhappy faces.

doop

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Elias56
I feel like you should,

Shutup...

doop

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Elias56
just kidding, but some of your points a pretty dumb

DavAndrus

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dorkdav
I would recommend getting a wired adapter if you can, that eliminated my disconnect issues. As for different ranks I think this is something they do to help with the wait times in between games. I'm not crazy about it, especially with the points for winning/losing changing based on the teams ranks. But is it better to have to wait 2-3 mins to find a game? I don't think so.

Just hang in there man. S rank isn't too hard to get to. Just keep trying and you'll get there.

Munchy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lordmunchy
I would recommend getting a wired adapter if you can, that eliminated my disconnect issues. As for different ranks I think this is something they do to help with the wait times in between games. I'm not crazy about it, especially with the points for winning/losing changing based on the teams ranks. But is it better to have to wait 2-3 mins to find a game? I don't think so.

Just hang in there man. S rank isn't too hard to get to. Just keep trying and you'll get there.
I'll definitely look into a wired connection, that seems to be the solution for a lot of people

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
If you see someone a rank above you or a rank below that means they are border line to that next rank. When I drop points I start seeing more people show up with a rank below me.
As far as disconnects. I've had an unusual amount of them tonight. It does get annoying.

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
nintendo's servers were down for maintanance to deal with the octoling invasion. Splatoon is also a very internet intensive game, and you need a good internet or you should expect DC's. I get lag with a 30 Mbps download.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I certainly agree that having a wide range of ranks in Ranked battles can ruin the balance. I remember having a battle where it was me, an S rank, two people with an A+, and the fourth was an A. While the other team had three S+ players, and an S. Needless to say we were destroyed. Ideally the teams should be split in such a way to make it a somewhat fair match up.

The same can be said for turf wars. If there are 6 players in the 40s, and two in the 10s, each team should get one of the lower level players. Chances are a team with two lower level players will get demolished by a full team of 40s. If the game had a good system to balance each team match up, that would make the experience better for everyone.

Most of your other issues are fairly common problems with online games. Not everyone has great internet, and sometimes even good internet fails. Losing points for unstable connections is incredibly frustrating (I lost my first S rank after several disconnections despite having great internet), but if you did not lose points for leaving a match, everyone would just DC if a ranked battle did not go their way.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
If I'm A rank, pit me against other A ranks, not B- players, not A+ players
While I agree, I think it's because of the fact that Splatoon's fanbase isn't that big. If A+ players could only play other A+ players, it would take a lot longer to find people, maybe even not starting the match.

I honestly can't believe how long it took for them to finally make an online multiplayer game, and when they do, it disconnects every other game, stupid.
Make sure you have good connection, if you do, then it's either Nintendo's fault, or the other players having bad connection (which causes 3vs4's or 2vs4's to happen). Also, most of the errors happen on Splatfest because of the amount of players on the server.

Also, what's with all the lag and the frame drops? It's sickening, do something about it.
Lag? Like Rollers teleporting or getting splatted 5 seconds later after splatting the very same person? I don't believe Nintendo could fix that, it's just the other player having bad connection.
Splatoon has 60FPS in battles. Frame drops rarely happen, the only time it happens to me is whenever someone bomb rushes (Mostly Blackbelly Skatepark).

Why do I lose points when I disconnect unwillingly?
Because, if people didn't lose points for disconnecting/turning power off/unplugging console, the losing team would just disconnect on purpose just so they wouldn't lose rank/points, making ranking useless.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
If I'm A rank, pit me against other A ranks, not B- players, not A+ players, I don't want to play with people who are less (or more) skilled and/or experienced, it's stupid, and it ruins the balance of the meta. Nintendo, did you only just realise that this thing called the online exists? I honestly can't believe how long it took for them to finally make an online multiplayer game, and when they do, it disconnects every other game, stupid. Also, what's with all the lag and the frame drops? It's sickening, do something about it. Why do I lose points when I disconnect unwillingly? Something tells me that's not fair, especially when my team is in the lead, do something about it, Nintendo. This whole online experience would be one of the best if it wasn't for all these flaws, I really hope they do something about these issues in the upcoming update, if they don't, there'll be a lot of unhappy faces.
I think it took them so long to finally make an online game because, well.... because they're Nintendo. There's no better way I can put it.

They seem to be by far the slowest of all of the major publishers to adapt to things at all, and have taken a long, LONG time to even BEGIN to understand both the internet, and online stuff in general, and what online modes can do for games in general. And even then, right now, I genuinely believe that they still just dont "get" the internet or online anything whatsoever. I constantly, CONSTANTLY think that they just dont quite know what they're doing with it yet. I get this feeling the most, not from Splatoon, but actually from Smash.

Even something like Mario Maker just shows it a bit. Like the part where you CANT SEARCH FOR LEVELS BY NAME. Anyone else.... ANYONE.... would have had this feature in there. They wouldnt have had to even THINK about it; it'd be like, how the heck could we NOT put in such an obvious and useful thing? I mean, being able to use the codes to find levels would still be important (for levels with similar names), but there are too many times when I see a level shown off somewhere.... but no code is given for it. And there's nothing I can do, despite knowing the exact name of the level. All because such a simplistic function is missing.

Now, I will say though, that online in Splatoon is still pretty darn good. And the population, at least to me, seems pretty darn high in this game. Even during the dead of night, it takes hardly any time at all to find a match. And I find that the connection quality is just great; if there's ever an issue, I can safely assume it's on my end, not theirs. Overall, the game is both tons of fun and also very easy to set up, with next to no waiting involved.

Besides... problems with ranked modes, in terms of matchmaking, definitely arent confined to just this game. It can be a pretty frequent issue, even in GIGANTIC games with 10 bazillion players online at any time. I always get the impression that a good matchmaking system is simply very difficult to build for most developers.

My biggest problems with it in Splatoon though are usually during Splatfests, where it just goes nuts and seems to choose entirely at random. It'll do it in Turf Wars too though... I'm sorry, but a level 9 player should NOT be put up against a level 42 player. How does it even manage that? I'm at about level 24 myself, and I get stuck in matches with an extremely wide range of numbers, regardless of what time of day I play at. It can be very annoying.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
I had to buy a new modem just to get the online games on Wii U to work. I setup a DMZ and forced all the ports on my Modem to stay open for the Wii U. I still get stuck against teams of laggy Japanese players every single match. I win almost all of them, but that's besides the point. I'm much more skilled than any of the players I get put up against and I still end up losing matches because there are players who do not die after being hit 10 or 11 times from any range with my Dual Squelcher. It's insane how someone can release a game in 2015 without lag compensation or even considering connection as a factor in matchmaking. It's like Nintendo hasn't heard of a NAT. Ridiculous. I mean I know Japan still uses fax machines, but that isn't an excuse for not hiring someone who knows they're doing to code the single most important part of your game.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I can't stand it either, i've been stuck in rank purgatory because sometimes the game loves to toss random ranks in the mix, ranging from B- to S+. It also puts them in teams randomly giving you scenarios like S+ dudes facing a A rank team. And sometimes players D/C and then you're allmost guaranteed to lose/win. And just a little fiy, the skill difference between A and S is much wider compared to previous ranks.

I have a feeling winning/losing streaks have to do who you'll end up with aswell. Whenever i end up stuck at lukewarm/chill i see a lot more B ranked players, if i get near smokin' i see a lot more S ranks instead.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
I have very few issues with lag/frame drops. It's a P2P system so it's usually worse for the weakest link in a match. Right now if you are experiencing such problems it's most likely be resolved by a LAN Adapter. There are certain people that abuse the lag issue but those are just a small subset of players.

Also ranks mean very little when people can rank up to S with a Squad despite being at B skill level. So unless a person is S+ I wouldn't read too much into his/her rank. There is also save game exploit that hasn't been addressed and some people abuse that as well.

If you didn't lose points when you disconnected - how many people would be disconnecting mid match when they feel they got the ****ty team. Best matches in Splatoon in Ranked are the ones where you come from behind and win the match as the sirens are going off. You lose points for disconnecting because otherwise the majority of people exploiting other methods would simply turn off their router every time it's convinient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom