Fixing the Bottom Tiers

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I figured, ultimately, it would just be easier to put all of my weapon reworks in a single post.
The title says it all; without further ado:

Splattershot Nova
Now has perfect accuracy while on the ground.

Nova is actually a pretty good weapon. If its shots hit, that is. As such, I think the best solution for buffing this weapon is to remove its grounded shot RNG. This would not only make the weapon better balance-wise, but also aesthetically, I think.

Big Swig Roller
Improved scaling of horizontal flick damage; range where 50+ damage will be dealt increased by ~40%.
Rolling speed increased by ~20%

Big Swig is weird. It plays unlike any other roller, preferring to combo multiple flicks together than go for one-shots. It's already a fairly decent weapon (save for its kits) after its minimum horizontal damage buff, so I only gave it a couple other small buffs.

Goo Tuber
Overall charge time reduced by 10 frames; first ring takes 45 frames, second ring takes 20 frames.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you were expecting me to give Goo Tuber the ability to charge while swimming. I and others have floated the idea around once or twice. All the charger really needs is a noteworthy charge speed buff. This isn’t all for Goo Tuber, though.

Goo Tuber Pro (name pending)
New charger-type weapon:
75 frame charge time,
~5% less range than Splat Charger,
5 second charge hold,
Can charge shots while swimming,
Has similar minimum range to Goo Tuber
Partial charge damage scales from 40 to 100.

I took the other idea for reworking Goo Tuber and made it its own weapon. It loses its lethal partial charges and faster charge hold for a much more valuable gimmick; charging while swimming. It also gets genuine backline range so it can be a proper anchor.

Bloblobber
Initial blob damage increased to 45.
Projectile speed increased by ~80%, range unaffected.
Trailing blob damage reduced to 22.
Trailing blobs no longer bounce across floors.

Bloblobber is my first really creative fix. I've made the initial projectile a lot more threatening to compensate for the removal of its mass projectile spam. At optimal range, the weapon is truly threatening; at long range, it's barely a threat at all.

Both Splatlings and Dualies have no real bottom tier main weapons. Dapples and Mini struggle due to their kits.

Undercover Brella
Damage per pellet while canopy is not open increased to 15.
Maximum damage while canopy is not open increased to 57.

Undercover Brella has long needed to be more of a threat and have more of a reward for not using its shield. I've solved both. Undercover can now splat in two shots if it doesn't use its shield. Nintendo wants to make Undercover a shark? There you go.

Clash Blaster
Direct damage increased to 75.
Interval between consecutive shots increased by 5 frames.
Indirect damage now falls off based on distance from the center, to as low as 22.5 damage.

A simple, elegant fix. Clash gets its direct-indirect combo, at the cost of a significant amount of fire rate and being a five-shot splat at the edges of its blast radius. Now it's not only rewarded for, but also encouraged to hit directs.

I'm going to be honest, the entire brush class needs fixing. That's a better topic for another thread.

Tri-Stringer
Shot spread reduced by ~15%
Explosion damage increased to 35

A couple of QoL changes for base Stringer to make it better at what it does. Half the time a set of three arrows already splats due to the damage dealt by the ink around where they land. The spread decrease makes shots easier to hit at all ranges.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that all three splatanas are not only not bottom tier, but seeing tournament use.

If you read all of that, thanks! I hope you'll share your thoughts about these below.
If you didn't read all of this, why bother clicking on the thread?
In either case, have a wonderful day.

Last edited:

Yeenom

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
Painbrush - Swinging out of a roll, surge or rolling with the brush reduces the amount of time needed to start-up (Roughly 23 frames to 19). Playing pain is like being the fastest, strongest, smartest person alive, but you have to your taxes before any of that cool stuff. This basically makes it faster while not making it too overpowered, it also makes it easier to go for ambushes or to defend yourself while retreating.

Mini Splatling - A mid-shot recharge feature has been added, similar to the Nautilus. Funny story related to this, I accidentally gaslighted myself into thinking this already existed. I stopped playing for a bit and when I picked it back up, I realized Mini (My old main that I also had 4-starred) didn't feel as good before and I realized that at some point they removed the mid-shot recharge. That feature I loved so much, gone in a random balance patch I didn't even know happened! But it wasn't removed and there was no patch, somehow I managed to just *create* that with my mind and that managed to ruin my main even though I technically added it. So now I want *my* Mini back.

McSquid82

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I disagree with the Goo Tuber rework. It doesn't need nerfs or to be split into multiple weapons in my opinion. It just needs to have its weight changed from a middleweight to a lightweight and possibly the ability to build a charge while swimming on top of being able to store its charge. All of its features you want to strip away and put into a different weapon would just destroy its identity.

Seeing as how the Squiffer can keep its charge speed even while jumping, charging while swimming would be a better way of leveling the playing field for the Goo Tuber. This combined with becoming a lightweight would drastically improve its mobility and thus its viability immensely. Having a charge time over three times as long as other chargers is one of the few saving graces this thing has currently and it deserves to keep that ability.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
I like your idea of incentivizing Blob to play closer with the rest of its team so that it's not just being a paint bot for the whole match.
I still think it'd continue to be an unhealthy weapon for the game though, most if not all paint focused weapons are.
Still, your changes would be enough to weaken that aspect of it while not completely changing how the main weapon works (not saying I wouldn't mind if Nintendo decided to completely rework the weapon though).

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I disagree with the Goo Tuber rework. It doesn't need nerfs or to be split into multiple weapons in my opinion. It just needs to have its weight changed from a middleweight to a lightweight and possibly the ability to build a charge while swimming on top of being able to store its charge. All of its features you want to strip away and put into a different weapon would just destroy its identity.

Seeing as how the Squiffer can keep its charge speed even while jumping, charging while swimming would be a better way of leveling the playing field for the Goo Tuber. This combined with becoming a lightweight would drastically improve its mobility and thus its viability immensely. Having a charge time over three times as long as other chargers is one of the few saving graces this thing has currently and it deserves to keep that ability.
I personally feel as though Goo Tuber is at the limit for new gimmicks. More bluntly, it would be a waste of potential. A charger with better tap shots, a charger with lethal partial charges, and a charger that charges while swimming could all be their own weapons, the same way Squiffer is a charger with no mid-air charge penalty. Goo Tuber, with its shoddy base stats, has had to consume all of the potential charger gimmicks to have a chance of being decent. Its identity really isn’t worth saving.

Really, the Goo Tuber Pro is the true Goo Tuber. It keeps its charge hold and trades away its unnecessary fluff gimmicks to build on it. The other weapon is marked as the original because it more closely matches the original’s style of play, which is definitely worth preserving.

Though, I am open to making a few slight alterations. By which I mean that section of the post will likely be edited by tomorrow. I’d be happy to hear your feedback on the updated version, since the reworked Goo Tuber will be simplified a little to be more like the original.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Trailing blobs no longer bounce across floors.
So only one blob bounces? Meaning only one blob can even hit at all if you're beyond melee range? Meaning you can only do 45 damage? Meaning you would need three hits on an extremely slow projectile?

If I'm reading this right, this nerf would make the weapon outright unplayable.

McSquid82

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I personally feel as though Goo Tuber is at the limit for new gimmicks. More bluntly, it would be a waste of potential. A charger with better tap shots, a charger with lethal partial charges, and a charger that charges while swimming could all be their own weapons, the same way Squiffer is a charger with no mid-air charge penalty. Goo Tuber, with its shoddy base stats, has had to consume all of the potential charger gimmicks to have a chance of being decent. Its identity really isn’t worth saving.

Really, the Goo Tuber Pro is the true Goo Tuber. It keeps its charge hold and trades away its unnecessary fluff gimmicks to build on it. The other weapon is marked as the original because it more closely matches the original’s style of play, which is definitely worth preserving.

Though, I am open to making a few slight alterations. By which I mean that section of the post will likely be edited by tomorrow. I’d be happy to hear your feedback on the updated version, since the reworked Goo Tuber will be simplified a little to be more like the original.
The thing is, if you take away any of its defining traits, you risk condemning the Goo Tuber to the low tier of chargers for all eternity. Like I said before, the exceptionally long charge hold and the ability to splat on partial charges are the only redeeming features this weapon has. Maybe the charging while swimming feature would be better given to a different charger, but my other suggestion has precedent. Making this thing a lightweight is a buff that has been done before, and it improved the mobility of those weapons greatly which is exactly what the Goo Tuber needs.

And by the way, as far as brushes go, I think brushes are actually closer to being fixed than you think. The Inkbrush and Octobrush have both gotten their hitboxes on their ink fixed and that's one of the few remaining buffs that they needed. Like I said before, at least with those two, they've gotten enough buffs and they don't need any more. They're pretty ink efficient now, and they paint pretty good now. I would say those two brushes are in a pretty health spot right now as far as doing their job goes. Their advantages are pretty well balanced by their disadvantages, which is not being able to 1 shot and dying to almost any mid to long range weapon that sees them coming.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
So only one blob bounces? Meaning only one blob can even hit at all if you're beyond melee range? Meaning you can only do 45 damage? Meaning you would need three hits on an extremely slow projectile?

If I'm reading this right, this nerf would make the weapon outright unplayable.
I’m quite sure you’re drastically underestimating Bloblobber’s range without bounces. Its initial volley has more range than Tri-Slosher. You also seem to have completely missed the 80% projectile speed buff. Blob’s blobs aren’t slow anymore.

I think I can safely assure you that my reworked Bloblobber is no less playable than it is in its current state.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
The thing is, if you take away any of its defining traits, you risk condemning the Goo Tuber to the low tier of chargers for all eternity. Like I said before, the exceptionally long charge hold and the ability to splat on partial charges are the only redeeming features this weapon has. Maybe the charging while swimming feature would be better given to a different charger, but my other suggestion has precedent. Making this thing a lightweight is a buff that has been done before, and it improved the mobility of those weapons greatly which is exactly what the Goo Tuber needs.
Speaking as someone with 4 stars on Goo Tuber, it definitely needs more than lightweight to be a better weapon. Its biggest weakness as a weapon is how little uptime it gets for its range, considering that it not only has a longer charge time than most other chargers, but also spends much more time in a charge hold. It needs less charge time or swim charging. As such, I’ve come up with concepts for both routes of buffing it.

Though, the current revision likely won’t be the last. I’m not sure the buffs to the first concept are enough, and I may have to give it a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom