Flight vs. Invisibility: Match Up Rate?

Which was more common? Same Team or Opposing Team Matchups?

• I was Team Flight, and I got matched more often against my own Team.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I was Team Flight, and I got matched more often against Team Invisibility.

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • I was Team Invisibility, and I got matched more often against my own Team.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was Team Invisibility, and I got matched more often against Team Flight.

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters

sunaku

Hello again!
Community Ambassador
NNID
yuuisim
Switch Friend Code
SW-3702-6418-1999
Everyone feelin fresh out there?~! As of this writing the splatfest is upon us!

Regardless of which side you've picked it's time to splat some fam!

This question comes on the heels of the infamous Mayo Vs. Ketchup matchup in where Ketchup garnered 77% of the popular vote, but lost in Solo and Multi battles. One of the chief complaints from Team Ketchup was that they were matched so frequently against their own team that they barely had any chances to head off against Team Mayo..

So I'm wondering, both for my Team Flight crew and for Team Invisibility (especially!) members...

1) Which side did you choose and
2) Have you noticed constant same-team match ups as we saw in the past?

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Chose Flight, and I mostly battled Team Invisibility in my team games. Had the occasional ditto, and fairly long wait times too in some instances. Felt like a pretty average Splatfest match up rate. Mostly the other team with a few dittos here and there. I saw some team Invisibility people claim they also had dittos, which we can assume are a normal occurrence regardless of popularity.

The popularity results have me very curious for this Fest. I am betting Flight was more popular, but I could see Invisibility being pretty close too.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
The popularity results have me very curious for this Fest. I am betting Flight was more popular, but I could see Invisibility being pretty close too.
I've seen more art posts from Invisibility but I've also had Flight vs Flight matches (note the plural) so... I'm guessing it's fairly close. After how wide the gap was last time, I welcome a more even popularity split.

alcbs

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8074-1224-7142
I feel like they might've changed up the matchmaking, or more people voted for invisibility. I've gotten way less matches against my own team this time around.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
I played a total of about 53 matches, and got a fair few mirror matches. I would guess I had somewhere in the realm of 15-18 or so total, maybe? It's hard to say. I was keeping track of the ones I played today, but not yesterday, and Splatnet shows all matches as Flight vs Invisibility even if they were mirrors. But I definitely had a lot more Flight vs Invisibility matches yesterday than I had mirror matches.

Honestly, from what I've been hearing I doubt either side had a significant majority this time around. Everyone, regardless of side, seems to have been getting consistent matches against enemy teams. And while everyone's reported having mirror matches, there are seem to be few - if any - people whose Splatfest time was dominated by them.

Padre

Pro Squid
I was in team flight and only few times encountered flight people. Worked liked it should in that regard... but... matchmaking was really bad. In every match my team consisted of level 10 or lower when opposing team was level 40 players. So win rate was close to 0%. Last 50 games I won 1 match to 49 losses and I was in first place in every single game.
This is the last splatfest for me untol Nintendo fixes the MM.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I did teams the entire way through the Splatfest as part of team Flight, and I'd say I fought Invisibility about 70% of the time. I can't say anything about solo matchmaking.

Last edited:

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I was in team flight and only few times encountered flight people. Worked liked it should in that regard... but... matchmaking was really bad. In every match my team consisted of level 10 or lower when opposing team was level 40 players. So win rate was close to 0%. Last 50 games I won 1 match to 49 losses and I was in first place in every single game.
This is the last splatfest for me untol Nintendo fixes the MM.
I'm sorry this has happened to you. For me, it was the exact opposite. Due to the DC issues when I started playing Splatfest (see Salt Thread) I got shoved into the 1500s. Worked my way up to 1700 but the discrepancy between skill levels was very one-sided most of the time. I.e. we kept stomping the opposing team. To further prove my point, I was in many matches where people would not only straight-up ignore my laser, but even walk into it a lot. I mean yeah, thanks for the free kill, but when I'm able to move freely around the map wreaking havoc close-range and mid/long-range as a vanilla charger you know something is terribly wrong. We did have a few matches against 40+ people when our team consisted of lv 10-20 people but those were only a few in between and it ended very 50/50-ish anyway, since we're speaking 1600s "ELO" here.

So yes, matchmaking can be all over the place or completely one-sided for quite a long time but if you keep playing and try different hours you might be surprised that you can get rid of those nasty lopsided losing-streaks too. My friend was in your situation actually, started at 1700s and fell down to 1500s but worked her way back up because she did in fact take a break for like three hours.

On Topic:
I was team flight. Other than being subject to the other side of lopsided matchmaking most of the time and suffering from DC issues in the beginning, I've been mostly matched against people of team invisibility. Overall, it seemed very 50/50 in terms of popularity this time around.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Fought solo Invisibility in Europe and got only 2 mirror matches out of 44. Pretty good, if you ask me.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I was on Flight and had maybe 15% mirror matches, and about the same number of timeouts failing to find opponents. That happened far more often than I've experienced before.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I honestly believed there'd be a lot more Team Flight players than there was, I was the only one out of anyone I know to pick Invisibility.

Ed Leech

Inkster Jr.
I thought for invisibility (purely because I thought flight was going to be the new ketchup!) and played just over 50 splatfest games with not a single mirror match.

I assumed it was because flight had circa 80% so was absolutely shocked when I saw it was practically 50/50.

I think many people chose invisibility thinking the same. So with what happened this time it's going to be complete guesswork at the next splatfest.

Slightly related, do we think splatfests will be every month?

CavvieKat

Inkster Jr.
I fought for Team Invisibility, made it to Queen and never ended up fighting against my own team. My three brothers, on the other hand, were all Team Flight and all ended up fighting other Team Flight groups.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this Splatfest determined by combining the results between the US and Europe? If everyone only fought players from their own regions, I wonder if Team Flight was definitely the most popular here in the states, and then the combined results with Europe are what tipped the scales and caused Team Invisibility to be more popular overall? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how the results were tallied, which is totally possible. :P

As for Splatfests being every month, that did seem to be the trend leading up to the final Splatfest in the original game. I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to stick with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom