• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

For Glory guide to Splatoon: Do's and Don't

Was this information helpful to you?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Okay this is a post that I've been working on for sometime, of course as many of you know many people who play Splatoon have been supporting Super Smash Brother long before this game release
So I am here to give you a basic guide to how to understand the Splatoon meta starting with the Do and Don't of the game and tendencies I notice in new player from time to time

***Please not these thopugh based on what I've seen are still opinions and do not reflect all players

Objective, again I know many of people focus on splatting foes and although this has some benefit the only way you can win in this game is for someone to push the objective, usually there are player who focus their gear to defend or push, but honestly someone who can keep focused on the objective is vital.
Also along with this if you see someone push the objective make sure to back them up, providing cover fire from a distance or splatting those who get too close, the longer you can push the better you're odds

Map Coverage aside from pushing the objective making sure you have map coverage is an up most priority in this game, honestly the whole game came about through this concept so of course it's and important part of the game. Having map coverage allows you to move freely and quickly position yourself while restricting the enemy's movement. I like to point out that :squidbeacon: are also part of map coverage and player should either destroy these or keep eyes on them so enemies can't regain map coverage and go for flanks on your turf (basically this is the Splatoon Rage mechanic in someways and can easily turn the tide of battle)

Specials
Special are a powerful move that can push the game to your side but only if used correctly, like with some Final Smash attacks randomly throwing it out will be a waste and leave you open, using special should be used cautiously, especially killer wail and inkstrike since they leave you unable to defend yourself, however with kraken and bubbler save this for a flank or when you (or your teammates) are about to be overwhelmed.
Lastly pay attention to your teammates since if they release a special you can capitalize on this and activate your special to push the enemy back to spawn.

Ink recharge
would you hold your shield in SSMB til it broke?
NO NO NO NO NO!!!! So many people stand still and recharge their fuel tanks make you an easy target, the only time you stand still is to hide from enemies or secure frequently traveled routes, other than that you don't need to stand still and you don't need a full tank to fight a battle, just be aware of your ink not obsessive over a full tank

Super jumping

.........sigh this was inevitable
First, if you don't have stealth jump or a beckon you should not jump to a teammate who is on the front lines, doing so could give up their location and leave your team two people short. Instead jump to chargers or teammates far enough from the battle to lessen odds of being splatted.
*The only exception to this is if you are you and your teammates are consecutively jumping on the tower in tower control for a final push.
Second, jump out, if you are in a position where you are too close for comfort or running out of special get out of there jump to a ally or back to base so as to remain in battle, the longer you are in the more the game tilts in your team's favor. There are some points I'd like to bring out, if you have the chance to take out a player without being noticed by the team take out the player and them quickly jump away to avoid being splatted (best in rainmaker)
Lastly, protect you friends honestly as long as you don't put yourself in danger it a good idea to protect your allies or the marker to lure enemies and splat them before your teammate arrives letting your teammate be splatted is bad since usually more than one person will be targeting them and could result in you being in a vulnerable position.

AC_Decoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
actionjackson105
A major problem I have in ranked is dying so much. I think I push the objective too much, which sometimes wins us the game, but since I'm stuck at being in the mid 50s as an A player, I'm realizing that the one thing holding me back and my teammates is my K/D ratio. Any suggestions on how to die less in ranked?

SkyBound

Inkster Jr.
A major problem I have in ranked is dying so much. I think I push the objective too much, which sometimes wins us the game, but since I'm stuck at being in the mid 50s as an A player, I'm realizing that the one thing holding me back and my teammates is my K/D ratio. Any suggestions on how to die less in ranked?
Maybe try to play more safe and paranoid

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
If I can add to this with my own recent experiences - one major change that I've undergone since I became steady in S (or in order to do so) is that my K/D is, in winning rounds, less often something like 8/8 and more like, not infrequently, 3/3 or even as low as 1/2 or so. Of course, that's more likely to happen if your team manages to push a very early KO, but it still occurs, albeit most commonly in SZ. In this case, I really work on the objective and keep enemies from coming within their range, even if that means they're not in my range either.

The important enemies to take out are those who are going to pose a severe threat to your teammates, mainly in the mid or on your side of the map, and those who have or are about to have dominion over the objective. Playing thus very annoyingly has served me well; I prefer for both myself and my opponent to remain standing rather than to enact an exchange, as long as my team has the objective (if not, grouping up and taking risks does become necessary).

EDIT: I didn't say at all, but it's probably obvious that this is completely dependant upon weapon, among other things. Buckets haven't necessarily the most naturally aggressive sets and can be pretty neat for zoning, aside from Tri-Sloshers, so these have lent themselves to more supportive games in my playstyle. But that also varies based on how open the playable maps are and how likely I am, say, to be attacked from behind; if that's common, then it's often preferable to take the initiative unless the weapon really can't make sneak attacks.

Last edited:

TheChillyGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ToadAli
I need tips on working with my team. Sure, I help them a lot, throwing out splash walls when my teammates are being overwhelmed and using bubbler to defend my teammates. Yet sometimes I feel like they wander of and do their own thing just to get splatted. I need tips on working with my team please.

Mains::wst_shot_long01::wst_shot_quicklong00::wst_shot_heavy00::wst_shot_expert01: (Neo Sploosh O matic)
Secondary: :wst_shot_normal01::wst_shot_quicklong01::wst_shot_explong01: :wst_shot_gravity00:

Working on: (Luna Neo) (Heavy Splatling Deco)

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Yeah teamwork is a really hard part of Splatoon, this is because there is no voice chat, many players override this in squads by using discord or other game chat apps
However in solo ranked you can't worry all that much about what your teammates are doing, however all players have specific style of play in ranked, some are aggressive and other play support you can usually tell within the first few minutes how they play (whether they go for the enemy, push the objective, or are covering turf) and adjust to best support their play style.
Lastly you can use booyah (and it's variants) to alert teammates to an enemies presence and c'mon (and it's variants) to signal a push or that it's safe to jump to you.
Other than that you just have to focus on yourself so that your allies know that they can trust that you got their back

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
Yes, this is key. I too used to push the objective too much. I considered myself expendable so long as I could be constantly pushing. I would trade kills 7+ times a game. Sometimes I would win a game single-handedly, but it is a team game and I wonder how many games I have played well but selfishly and lost the game for the team. Now I focus on my teammates more. I try to stay alive and use more specials. If I die less than 5 times in Ranked we probably win 75% of the time. If I die 10+ times we almost always lose unless I kill 15+.

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
I feel like playing with a paranoid mindset has, for me, done nothing but hurt my play. I feel as if I'm often too scared to try and do something because I'm too worried about being killed (esp by chargers), and then I won't know what to do. That's something I'd keep in mind but I'm no expert at this game. I feel like I can make educated theories about it on my off time, but whether or not they are right is beyond me for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom