Forge Splattershot Pro and Inkzooka

Metarai

Inkling
NNID
Metarai
Ever since the 2.0.0 patch, inkzooka was changed to need 220p of ink. Since the splattershot pro isn't the best turf covering weapon, I have found it harder to get the inkzooka, especially when I need it most. I don't rely on inkzooka, except to take out enemy snipers or when I need to splat someone from far away. Still, for some matches I feel that I basically have no special.

I don't really want to change my weapon, so I can either stay with the forge or change to the regular splattershot pro. I have my gear set already, so is it worth knocking off an ability for a special charge up? Or is the regular splattershot pro a better choice? Or is the splattershot pro doomed and I should use another weapon?

Another question I have is with special charge up. From the 2.0.0 patch notes, it says something like this. "*The above numbers apply when users do not have the Special Charge Up ability equipped." The abilities hard data thread says that one main special charge up reduces required points by 6.6%, and then says that this is 168 points. Obviously, 220 reduced by this percent is not 168, but from this and the quote from the patch notes, would it negate the extra 40 points they added? I doubt it, but some clarification would help. Thanks.

*Edit Just for some clarification, I am in S rank, so this would be advice against other s rank players. Thanks.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
What abilitys do you currently use with it? I don't think the Forge needs anything specifically so getting Special Charge Ups and/or Tenacity on there shouldn't be too hard.

Metarai

Inkling
NNID
Metarai
I run ink recovery, ink saver main, cold blooded, ink resistance, run speed up, and swim speed up.

Kruphix

Inkling
NNID
mrbrightsidex11
I've recently picked up the Forge Pro, and I run the Gas Mask to help build zooka. Tenacity helps out a bunch, and getting the special time ups are a great help as well so you get more out of your zooka.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I would drop ink saver, I know the spro is really ink inefficient but I think your range allows you to manage your ink well. None of these weapons are built to need an ability (albeit the rapid blaster) and I don't run into many troubles with the spro's ink consumptions, yes it will take some getting used to, but I think sacrificing 10 more shots per tank to get the best special in the game will pay off. Keep ink recovery if you like it, it's definitely not bad.

I'd either go with tenacity or special saver over special charge up. the spro has the ability to hang back and not die as often so tenacity will be worth it. But even though you won't die as much as your teammates, you'll still die, special saver seems to really help and basically gives you a free 16% charge everytime you die. Black arrowbands are zekko brand so they'll be easier to try and get all three subs to special saver. you could go gas mask but the special duration doesn't really help the zooka, especially when you're mostly using it to take out snipers.

if you find you don't die often at all maybe special charge up will work better.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
All you really need is ink saver tbh just add a special up item then the other slot is for you to choose

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I run ink recovery, ink saver main, cold blooded, ink resistance, run speed up, and swim speed up.
I do fine without any ink efficiency boost, namely because the point sensor isn't used too often and doesn't consume much ink, so I'm sure you could get the hang of it aswell. :)

Metarai

Inkling
NNID
Metarai
Thanks guys, I'll try replacing ink saver main with a different ability next time I play.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
You can always pick up the Orange Arrows, which are Ink Saver Main with Special Charge Up Brand influence. They're complimentary abilities, since the extra shots from your gun and the reduced cap to activate your special mean you spend less time having to recharge before your special goes off.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Been playing custom jet and dual a lot more but I also main forge and got to S with it.

Example of the loadout I do for mine:

-Head: Special saver main, 3x swim speed up OR Dmg up main 2xink rec 1xdmg
-Clothes: Cold blooded, 2x Run Speed, 1x Dmg up (dmg up here is fluke ability)
-Shoes: Run speed main, 3x Ink recovery

I would ditch ink saver main as you will get much more efficiency out of focusing on ink rec. For the issue of the special, special savers will help as it will decrease the time it takes to rebuild if you are splatted however I honestly prefer to run dmg up to help build special. Here is my reasoning for that, as a forge inkzooka should be an afterthought, your main weapon has both a decent firing rate and a decent range to take care of any short to mid threat. Weapons either out fire or out range forge so for survival purposes you survive more 1v1 and maintain your ttk if the opponent is running defense up (many close range weapons do). This is all especially true if you are using your point sensors effectively since they cost little ink and keep enemies from flanking. Not trying to change your play style per se but the main issue is forge is slower to build special and so your best bet is to focus on killing opponents and survival so you have the chance to build it by exploiting your main and sub weapons.

Alternatively if you have pretty low deaths per match (1-2 for average 3 for long matches) then you may benefit more from stacking special charge ups. Otherwise you will get zooka faster with the saver, considering deaths.

Also the abilities data thread is a bit off I believe.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
One Ink Saver (Main) Main and one Special Charge Up Main take the number of ink tanks needed to fill the Inkzooka from 4 to 3. So if you run a Special Saver with that set up it takes the number of tanks needed after you die with a full bar from 1.5 to 1. You could Run Black Arrowbands for Tenacity with brand influence tri-Special Saver subs, Orange Arrows for Ink Saver (Main) with brand influence tri-Special Charge Up subs and then the chest can be anything you want. 1 tank after you die with a full meter to get your Inkzooka back up plus anything you get from Tenacity is pretty competitive. You'd struggle to not have Inkzooka up.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Been playing custom jet and dual a lot more but I also main forge and got to S with it.

Example of the loadout I do for mine:

-Head: Special saver main, 3x swim speed up OR Dmg up main 2xink rec 1xdmg
-Clothes: Cold blooded, 2x Run Speed, 1x Dmg up (dmg up here is fluke ability)
-Shoes: Run speed main, 3x Ink recovery

I would ditch ink saver main as you will get much more efficiency out of focusing on ink rec. For the issue of the special, special savers will help as it will decrease the time it takes to rebuild if you are splatted however I honestly prefer to run dmg up to help build special. Here is my reasoning for that, as a forge inkzooka should be an afterthought, your main weapon has both a decent firing rate and a decent range to take care of any short to mid threat. Weapons either out fire or out range forge so for survival purposes you survive more 1v1 and maintain your ttk if the opponent is running defense up (many close range weapons do). This is all especially true if you are using your point sensors effectively since they cost little ink and keep enemies from flanking. Not trying to change your play style per se but the main issue is forge is slower to build special and so your best bet is to focus on killing opponents and survival so you have the chance to build it by exploiting your main and sub weapons.

Alternatively if you have pretty low deaths per match (1-2 for average 3 for long matches) then you may benefit more from stacking special charge ups. Otherwise you will get zooka faster with the saver, considering deaths.

Also the abilities data thread is a bit off I believe.
3 defense ups isn't enough to lower the spro's stk. maybe for the dual or jet. But spro should not ever need offense up. Some people say that damage up helps you keep your max range but that doesn't really make sense to me, and probably only achieves that effect if you stack it.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
3 defense ups isn't enough to lower the spro's stk. maybe for the dual or jet. But spro should not ever need offense up. Some people say that damage up helps you keep your max range but that doesn't really make sense to me, and probably only achieves that effect if you stack it.
I believe that the Splattershot Pro can still splat in 3 shots against enemies with up to 3 main Defense Ups, and I'm sure that the Jet Squelcher splats in 4 shots enemies with up to 3 main Defense Ups (it used to be my main for a while). The Dual Squelcher does require an extra shot when fighting enemies with 3 main Defense Ups or more, but a couple of sub Damage Ups can fix that.

I believe Damage Up does increase the damage the shots deal when they begin falling after they reach their max range (but I'm not sure if it also has a maximum value), so while it doesn't make the weapon shoot farther, it does make it deal more damage after it's "optimum range", if you want to call it that

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Honestly I definitely notice a difference at max range like LMG said. It's the difference between trading with dynamos who run defense and surviving.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Perhaps you are never getting an Inkzooka because you are dying too much? Whenever I go Forge Pro I always seem to be able to get Inkzookas, at the very least once per match (usually more).

My gear build is
Bamboo Hat-Ink Saver Main 3x Defense up (you'd be surprised how many half charged sniper shots you live)
Cold Blooded 3x Ink Recovery Up (for SZ)
Ink Resistance 3x Ink Saver main.

Contrary to what others have said, I definitely think you need at last one Ink Saver Main in a Splattershot Pro/Forge build. Perhaps I go a bit overboard to compensate for ink inefficiency, but I really see no reason to run anything else on the Pros.

D

Deleted Member

Its worth noting that the Splattershot Pro caps out at 49.9 damage, which is a 2HKO if the enemy has touched your ink at all.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Perhaps you are never getting an Inkzooka because you are dying too much? Whenever I go Forge Pro I always seem to be able to get Inkzookas, at the very least once per match (usually more).
One zooka a match is hardly anything though. He should be able to get off 4 or 5. At least 3.

Its worth noting that the Splattershot Pro caps out at 49.9 damage, which is a 2HKO if the enemy has touched your ink at all.
rapid blaster syndrome :)

1o2

Inkling Cadet
One zooka a match is hardly anything though. He should be able to get off 4 or 5. At least 3.

Not every match I have necessarily lasts the entire 5 minutes, some only last 1-2, in which case I should really only be getting 1. 4-5 Inkzookas per match? I hope you realize that's near impossible depending on the maps you are playing on. 4-5 zookas would be equivalent to 880-1100p and include the fact that you will most likely die at least once per match, that just would be incredibly hard. Think of it this way, how many times do you actually get 880p, or 1100p (as the base, not including victory points) while playing turf war? I understand that turf war is only 3 minutes long, but the sole purpose is to cover turf. Whereas in other game modes you are much more focused on playing the objective than covering every bit of uncovered turf you see.

Plus, if you were to get 5 zookas in one match, you'd be getting one inkzooka per minute, when after the first minute there won't be much turf to consistently cover. Even when someone is using the Killer Wail (160p charge up), I'll see 5 at max in one match, let alone zooka which costs 60 more p to get. 1 zooka per match is plenty, as it's pretty easy to get at least 2 kills during one round of Inkzooka.[/QUOTE]

D

Deleted Member

The reason the Inkzooka was increased to 220p is because its an extremely easy special to get kills with. You're very likely to get at least one kill with the Inkzooka just by shooting in the general direction of the opponent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom