• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Funny Differences from 2014 E3 Gameplay Video

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee

Aside from the obvious things like Urchin Underpass looks nothing like it does now, watching this video I saw some funny/interesting stuff.
  • Splats at the time were referred to as "Splatters" as in "You SPLATTERED Player 2" and "SPLATTERED by SPLATTER Bomb!" This just sounds so funny for me to say now. I'm so glad they decided on "splats" xD

• When you "splattered" someone, it showed a point value (+10p)! Gave you the actual numerical value that your splat was worth instead of just the dead squid symbol. interesting.

• That 1 minute music is so different!! I like it but it sounds a LOT MORE STRESSFUL!!

• They had yet to design the map screen for Urchin. Its just a bunch of white buildings.

• The results screen shows everyone on a single list, instead of ranking each team separately.
I know there are other things too, like the squid to inkling animation at the beginning is different and the shape of the super jump market is different. Not that any of this really matters but I am always fascinated by beta versions of games and the way things developed along the way.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The Inkzooka being called a "Super Weapon" still makes me giggle. Not even sure why I find it so funny but it feels like a fitting name for the Inkzooka. :P

Rina S

Inkling
NNID
inklingrina
wow the final 1 minute music is very weird haha x3 Also I really like the inkling voices here :3

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I still call the specials "Supers" because I play too many fighting games.

I think they took out the point-value-for-splats thing to discourage just mining for splats the whole game, and also because it would be kinda confusing: "Wait, ten points? Towards what?"

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Well, I guess that shows what sub and special weapon were developed first. Interesting that this shows standard Splattershot with splat bombs and inkzooka while the final product doesn't have that combination.

That super jump marker on the player being jumped to is visible to everyone. I'm sure that would've been obnoxious and glad it was removed. The tag on the bottom left that is shown only to you is much cleaner in the final product.

Not shown in the video you posted but the original E3 reveal video has a lot of differences worth admiring as well like how massive saltspray rig was initially.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That's some neat stuff there. Interesting to see how things have changed since then (walking everywhere instead of swimming, seemingly ignoring Super Jumpers, getting points for splats). And how they haven't changed (ignoring the base in favor of attacking the enemy's, Inkzooka shots still have wonky hitboxes, etc.).

Also, it might just be me, but... those victory/defeat animations look a little weird without an animated mouth.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Well, I guess that shows what sub and special weapon were developed first. Interesting that this shows standard Splattershot with splat bombs and inkzooka while the final product doesn't have that combination.

That super jump marker on the player being jumped to is visible to everyone. I'm sure that would've been obnoxious and glad it was removed. The tag on the bottom left that is shown only to you is much cleaner in the final product.

Not shown in the video you posted but the original E3 reveal video has a lot of differences worth admiring as well like how massive saltspray rig was initially.
Yeah, I didn't post the link to that video because there is a (much older) thread about those differences, but I have been watching it from time to time lately, yearning for the opportunity just to play around on those beta stages. Saltspray was a floating labyrinth! Arowana had SO many areas not present in the final version, and was at least twice the size! (seriously, it really more like a mall.) There were two grate paths over top the ramps up to mid, mid was much larger, there were series Excitebike-esque ramps. And let's not forget that in Walleye, there were moving platforms hanging from the ceiling and you could swim on top of the sniper boxes. AND, in that video, they show an inkstrike that looks like a nuclear ****ing bomb hitting. O_O

All of these things would have made for a very wonky and unbalanced final product, to be sure, but the squid in me really wants to go woomy on these stages just to have more areas to explore, to see what could have been, etc. I've always had a fascination with these unfinished products in games; it gives insight to the thought process of the developers as they started out with one idea and it grows into something more full and detailed as production goes on and they see what things worked and what didn't. As well as the progression of their creative direction. Certainly they envisioned much larger maps than what they mostly settled on in the final version.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
If the maps were as big as you say they were, I really wish they kept the big versions. I find myself wishing a lot of the maps in the final game were bigger.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
If the maps were as big as you say they were, I really wish they kept the big versions. I find myself wishing a lot of the maps in the final game were bigger.

See for yourself and let me know what you think! I love nerding out about this stuff xD

edit: ok.. i may have exaggerated the size of Arowana a little bit.... but the design is nearly unrecognizable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom