Game Data Exploit

Have you done it?

• Yes

• No, and I have no desire to anytime soon

• No, but I'm highly considering it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
This is for anyone that may have been out of the loop these past few weeks. As of the most recent version 1.3.0 this still works and has not been patched out for reasons I'll get into later.

How?

Any unused USB storage device will do.

Go into your Wii U System Settings - Data Management and format your external device. This wipes any data that might have been on it, but allows you to use it for your WII U. Next, copy Splatoon's game data to said device. Note that you cannot choose to simply copy the save data. it's all or nothing.

This next part is important so pay attention. When the same save data exists on both the main system memory and an external device, the game will go off of whatever is on the USB. In other words, the game will save to and load from the external. This means the data on your Wii U will be your backup.

This is most useful for infinite rolls assuming you actually have the cash or snails to pay Spyke in the first place. Lucked out and got the abilities you wanted? Copy USB to Wii U memory. Got nothing but trash rolls? Copy Wii U memory to USB and try again.

Why not Patch it?

Doing so would would mean removing the ability to make back-ups of the save file, and that would be a bad move by Nintendo to put it extremely lightly. Why not make the game automatically save in the same instances but to both the main and external devices at the same time? Sure you could do that, but all the player would have to do is load Splatoon as normal with the external device connected, disconnect it, roll, close the game, connect the device, and copy the data to the Wii U in what is basically a reverse of the earlier if then guidelines. They're are a few ways of doing it. But none of them are really full proof except server side saves which are a terrible idea.

Conclusion

All save scumming does is theoretically save time. It provides ZERO advantage in the actual game. You can easily get perfect clothing without save scumming. And you have absolutely no way of knowing whether someone did or not. Perhaps they got them on the initial unlocks. Who knows. Plus the advantage of perfect clothing isn't nearly as big as you'd initially think. You can win with 1 star clothing if you're more skilled than the opponent. Those three swim speed ups won't suddenly fix terrible aim or poor spacial/situational awareness.

Last edited:

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
Haven't done this myself, but I see the obvious appeal of it. I have a pretty nice set of gear that I use the majority of the time. So it is actually fun for me to slowly work on upgrading some of my other gear. I don't mind having a few bad rerolls along the way.

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Yay, an exploit.
I personally think this could be a great idea for rerolling but you would have to be really dedicated to getting every single piece of equipment. I might consider it next time for when Splatfest comes around but not on my main account. I'd rather put in the effort to get the gear that I want with my own natural luck.

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
Why not Patch it?

Doing so would would mean removing the ability to make back-ups of the save file, and that would be a bad move by Nintendo to put it extremely lightly. Why not make the game automatically save in the same instances but to both the main and external devices at the same time? Sure you could do that, but all the player would have to do is load Splatoon as normal with the external device connected, disconnect it, roll, close the game, connect the device, and copy the data to the Wii U in what is basically a reverse of the earlier if then guidelines. They're are a few ways of doing it. But none of them are really full proof except server side saves which are a terrible idea.
On their previous platform, the Wii, you had no way of copying saves that had a special "marker" on them such as Animal Crossing: City Folk, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Sports Mix, etc. This marker usually appeared on games that had Wi-Fi profiles.

In fact, the 3DS right now cannot make backups of save files of any game with a Wi-Fi profile, doubly-so for digital-downloaded games. The only way is to use a Powersaves device.

They can easily go back to doing this for the Wii U if they felt the need.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
I tried this just to see if it actually works. I can say that between the waiting for the game data to be copied and waiting for the game to boot up just to re-roll abilities and then having to do it all over again if you don't get what you want takes so long, I could have played enough Turf War games to earn the 30k needed to buy the re-roll :)
So while it is probably not the way the game designers intended and might be classified as an exploit, the sheer volume of time it takes to do this just isn't worth the re-roll really.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Not for me, because I fear I would just mess up and delete my file.
Just my thought^^

It's not too hard to get a decent set of equipment anyway. Just if you want to go for something very special (like max out a specific perk or have a set with not a single diminishing return) rerolling will get annyoing at some point, but I still don't feel it's necessary to abuse the game files and kinda cheat in that way.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
It is physically impossible to earn 30k in the time it takes to copy Splatoon's data and if all it took was a couple rolls to get what you wanted most wouldn't even consider resorting to this in the first place. Despite the chances for triples on a preferred brand being only 2.8% the number of attempts it might take can vary wildly. You might get lucky and get them one a time on the initial slot unlocks or you might be like me and need to roll your shirt well over 70 times.

You're not actually messing with the files at all. I use the word exploit, but all you're doing is restoring your save from a backup. That's it. It's the same thing everyone should be doing on any computer system. You back up your data on another separate device and restore it in case something goes wrong. As long as an RNG spin all the sub slots at once and hope for the best gear system exists in Splatoon people will be drawn to this.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Interesting discovery.

I don't see myself utilizing this exploit for anything other than getting uncommon triplets as opposed to the ones that're 5x more likely.

PocketChg

Inkling
NNID
PocketChance
What it will do is increase the amount of high quality gear available to other people... considering all they have to do is buy your stuff and hijack your stats.

It'd be nice if everyone had triples of everything so you could just buy whatever you want for 90k. Instead of dealing with a million. Snails. Of... Yeah.

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
Would this really work? My understanding was that the rerolls are predetermined?

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
What it will do is increase the amount of high quality gear available to other people... considering all they have to do is buy your stuff and hijack your stats.

It'd be nice if everyone had triples of everything so you could just buy whatever you want for 90k. Instead of dealing with a million. Snails. Of... Yeah.
Buying from Spyke doesn't always transfer all the subs over to the gear you are receiving.
This lets you save a few Snails or cash, and can be done in rapid succession.

Banking on other players sporting your perfect gear could work out, but it seems early in the games lifespan for standardized gear choices.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
Buying from Spyke doesn't always transfer all the subs over to the gear you are receiving.
This lets you save a few Snails or cash, and can be done in rapid succession.

Banking on other players sporting your perfect gear could work out, but it seems early in the games lifespan for standardized gear choices.
Perhaps I have this wrong, but I thought that Spyke did always transfer over the subs, but only those filling naturally occuring slots, for example, if you buy a 2 star Gear from him with 3 slots, only 2 of those slots will be filled, but with the same Subs the original gear had

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Perhaps I have this wrong, but I thought that Spyke did always transfer over the subs, but only those filling naturally occuring slots, for example, if you buy a 2 star Gear from him with 3 slots, only 2 of those slots will be filled, but with the same Subs the original gear had
So far I've only been able to get gear with the same main ability and only one sub ability. So either everyone I order from took 1 star gear and upgraded slots or getting those extra slot copies is more rare.

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
I think either way, Spyke ordering isn't the best option to rely on for getting your dream gear. Unless maybe you are "trading" with a friend over multiple days.

Graynbow

Inkling
NNID
Graynbow
I've done this and it works really well for getting the sub abilities. The whole process takes a little longer then a single turf war.
I had the bright idea of using this exploit as the gear is leveling up so I could reroll my sub abilities one at a time but it seems like while leveling up the sub abilities are pre determined.
Has anyone else experienced this or know anyway around it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom