Gamepad vs Pro controller

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
Ok, as far as I know, only the Gamepad is allowed in the demo. However, the full game has the option to use the pro controller so I would like to know people's stance on each.

Pro Controller: On the one hand is this puppy. The biggest strength of the Pro Controller is that it's fits in your hand much more easily than the Gamepad. It's easier to work with and just feels better in general. The longer battery life might also be a plus if you don't like sitting where your Wii u/outlet is.

Gamepad: On the other hand is this bull dog. The gamepad uses motion controls which, if your a fan of, (I'm not) could be useful for aiming and moving around. It also lets you use the map with just a tap on the screen. (The pro controller will probably have this option but it'll be through different screens which will likely make it more time consuming. Something you need in this game.)

Ok, I've given my thoughts on the matter. To which one I'd use though........... Probably the Gamepad. My hands are big enough to handle the gamepad and I don't mind sticking close to the tv. I do see myself using the pro controller though. Most likely, it'll be the gamepad though.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You can't use the pro controller online even in the full game. The gamepad is required to perform super jumps and to have access to the map.

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
Really? I mean, I semi figured that to be the case but I thought they'd just make it a bit more obnoxious by using different screens, not outright not using the pro controller. Boy, do I feel sorry for the people who's Gamepad broke at some point. They have to get a new Wii U to go with the new gamepad (you can only have one gamepad to a Wii U. They're not sold seperately -_-)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Really? I mean, I semi figured that to be the case but I thought they'd just make it a bit more obnoxious by using different screens, not outright not using the pro controller. Boy, do I feel sorry for the people who's Gamepad broke at some point. They have to get a new Wii U to go with the new gamepad (you can only have one gamepad to a Wii U. They're not sold seperately -_-)
Yah really. It is an annoying situation. I get it, the Gamepad is the main Wii U controller, but there should be an alternative way of using super jump and to see the map, so other controllers would be available for online play. Can you imagine playing Splatoon with the Wii Remote? It would be so good.

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
The Wii Remote certainly would be interesting. Was it explicitly mentioned that only the gamepad could be used for the full game. I know you can only use the gamepad for the demo but this is just the demo so maybe?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
So you really can't use the Pro Controller? Ugh, that's going to be uncomfortable. I don't really like having to aim with the gamepad, honestly. Even without motion controls it's just too big for me to be comfortable playing a TPS on it.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gamepad for sure. The motion controls work so well for me. Plus it has the map of the stage.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The Wii Remote certainly would be interesting. Was it explicitly mentioned that only the gamepad could be used for the full game. I know you can only use the gamepad for the demo but this is just the demo so maybe?
I think it is mentioned in the official site.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
For the time being, the GamePad. Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk + Wii U GamePad (ala Pikmin 3) would be most preferable, if such an option were to be patched.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Yah really. It is an annoying situation. I get it, the Gamepad is the main Wii U controller, but there should be an alternative way of using super jump and to see the map, so other controllers would be available for online play. Can you imagine playing Splatoon with the Wii Remote? It would be so good.
This, please!

Nintendo is usually good with controller options so hopefully more comtrols will be available. Maybe even GC comtroller support! If it supports classic controller soon, I also have a CCPro, and those GC Controllers that plug into wiimotes.

LyonHart

Inkster Jr.
The Gamepad was really nice, but I agree with what some people are saying which is that the battery life can be an issue. I think the best way to go about this would be to just turn the brightness way way down to 1 or 2. You can still see just fine as long as you're not playing on the beach. Also, power saving mode helps, though I don't know by how much.

Pro Controller just makes sense period, though. This is ultimately a shooter, and I think it's safe to say we've grown accustomed to playing shooters on PlayStation and Xbox controllers more than anything (unless you're the "PC is master race!" kind, but even then there are some people who opt for a USB controller vs the keyboard/mouse).

We'll see what happens when the game comes out since only the Gamepad was available during the demo. I loved how it felt (minus the motion controls but I turned that off real quick) and seeing the map and jumping to places is really neat. I was thinking possibly using both (if that's possible) when Splatoon comes out - having the Gamepad on its stand to see map and touch-to-jump, while controlling with the pro controller.

Sycho

Lurking in the Ink.
NNID
Sychotix23
Switch Friend Code
SW-5767-2138-7496
Pretty disappointed we wont be able to use the pro controller but the gamepad was fine once I got used to using it again,

Crome

Inkling
NNID
sboles66
The only way to use a pro controller is in local multiplayer, and the 2nd player uses it.

Prima Games said:
In local multiplayer, one person will use the GamePad, while the other will likely use the Pro Controller. In this situation, only one player has access to the map, which is one of the reasons why Nintendo is offering a different style of play for local multiplayer.
(source)

Even if we had the option, I'd still use the gamepad anyway. The gyro control is way too useful. Probably the only time I'll say "I'm using tilt controls!" unironically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom