• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Gamestop tried selling me a used copy as new.

NicoNico

Inkling
NNID
MseaCreasy
There's a shortage of Splatoon in my city,Seattle. I visited 3 gamestop stores just to get my copy. It's so crazy that the second store tried to sell me a used copy(a copy the employees played in the store) as new.

See ya guys online. I'm hoping to join a clan. I haven't been in competitive gaming since I played socom FTB2.

NicoNico

Inkling
NNID
MseaCreasy
I think it was, but there was already the ugly gamestop sticker on the cover. Idunno, I haven't bought a game in-store for a LONG time. I buy all my games online. I sound like a *******.

Star

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Skywarp96
I think it was, but there was already the ugly gamestop sticker on the cover. Idunno, I haven't bought a game in-store for a LONG time. I buy all my games online. I sound like a *******.
Yeah, they put that stupid sticker on the display copies too. As far as I'm aware, all gamestops sell their display copies as new. It just means its the last copy they have of the game, the disc hasnt been used.. hopefully. It really does suck when they do that though. :( Ive had this happen to me quite a few times. I wouldnt buy it either, just because Im picky like that but I don't have another gamestop to go to. :( Never had any problems with the ones I've bought though.
Im too impatient to buy most things online lol, only do it if I really have to... Like with amiibo, ugh.

NicoNico

Inkling
NNID
MseaCreasy
Yeah, they put that stupid sticker on the display copies too. As far as I'm aware, all gamestops sell their display copies as new. It just means its the last copy they have of the game, the disc hasnt been used.. hopefully. It really does suck when they do that though. :( Ive had this happen to me quite a few times. I wouldnt buy it either, just because Im picky like that but I don't have another gamestop to go to. :( Never had any problems with the ones I've bought though.
Im too impatient to buy most things online lol, only do it if I really have to... Like with amiibo, ugh.
The employees told me that they used it but it has no scratches on it lol. Sneaky *****. I'm surprised the atmosphere of gamestop didn't change from the last time I went inside one like 2 or 3 years ago. It makes me not want to go inside one ever again. I look like a loser coming out of a gamestop. Especially that gamestop was inside a mall:)

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Wow, that's really lame. Definitely don't recommend Gamestop. o:

SilverEra

Inkling Cadet
GameStop isn't the only place that sells the game. Why not get it someplace else, like Walmart or something?

Kikaioh

Full Squid
AFAIK a lot of Gamestops allow their employees to open games in the store, play them and sell them as "New", which seems like false advertising to me. It makes me hesitant to buy anything new from them unless it's still in the shrinkwrap.

IMA_MOOSE

Inkling
NNID
NightmareShy.X
Yeah i'd be a little PO over getting a in store use copy for full price.

Tho if one is desperate enough to get one i don't put any blame on them.
I got lucky with getting a new copy via gamestop

Kzero

Inkster Jr.
I refuse to give Gamestop any of my money. Earlier this year I went to purchase Guilty Gear Xrd, since they were the only ones that carried it, and I wanted a physical copy. I grab the game off the shelf and bring it to the counter. The employee proceeds to go into a drawer to pull out the game. It's brand new! It even says it on the box. So I asked him why he's giving me an open copy of the game. He said that's how they sell them. Not sure about other GS's, but mine, when they get a shipment of brand new games, they proceed to OPEN THEM ALL and place the disks in a locked drawer. Insanity......

That was the last shot I was giving them. Before that, I hadn't been to GS since before the release of the Xbox 360, when I was promptly laughed at for not pre ordering the console. Like literally laughed at, for telling them I don't want to pre order the console. Screw them.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
My GameStop is just fine...never had any problems with them. When I went to pre-order Splatoon, I didn't get laughed at or anything, and my copy was shrink-wrapped.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I refuse to give Gamestop any of my money. Earlier this year I went to purchase Guilty Gear Xrd, since they were the only ones that carried it, and I wanted a physical copy. I grab the game off the shelf and bring it to the counter. The employee proceeds to go into a drawer to pull out the game. It's brand new! It even says it on the box. So I asked him why he's giving me an open copy of the game. He said that's how they sell them. Not sure about other GS's, but mine, when they get a shipment of brand new games, they proceed to OPEN THEM ALL and place the disks in a locked drawer. Insanity......

That was the last shot I was giving them. Before that, I hadn't been to GS since before the release of the Xbox 360, when I was promptly laughed at for not pre ordering the console. Like literally laughed at, for telling them I don't want to pre order the console. Screw them.
I know that Gamestops do do this. Unless you get the game in like the first week, they'll keep the discs locked up in a drawer, and leave the cases out. More popular games in which they have a much larger stock of products will stay in the shrink wrap. It is only when their stock goes down to a certain level is when they store them in the drawer.

Rhino47

thInk Tank Captain
NNID
Rhino47
I get almost all my games at Best Buy. With their Gamers Club Unlocked program I get 20% off of all new games I purchase, even day one. Everything is completely sealed when I get it too. As an added bonus, they give you $10 back for pre-ordering certain games. Winning all around for good guy Best Buy.

I was originally stopped going to GameStop because of a really annoying employee that worked there. I understand they have to push their programs, but when interactions take 5 minutes to just pick up a game... No thank you.

Star

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Skywarp96
AFAIK a lot of Gamestops allow their employees to open games in the store, play them and sell them as "New", which seems like false advertising to me. It makes me hesitant to buy anything new from them unless it's still in the shrinkwrap.
Never knew this!

Wow, yeah if they told you that they used it, I wouldn't have bought it either.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Never knew this!

Wow, yeah if they told you that they used it, I wouldn't have bought it either.
From what I know from the guys at my local stores this isnt something that is allowed to happen. Some managers let it go but unless the rules were changed it really isnt allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom