• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Gear and Perks at Tournaments

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
While this was touched on in previous discussion over skype and Squidboards BETA, I was wondering about something regarding how local tournaments will work regarding equipment.

If each piece of equipment gives different perks and buffs, how will this be factored into tournament settings? Will all setups have to have unlocked everything (even though the Devs are more than likely going to continue adding stuff to the shops post-launch), or will all players have the same loadout?

Last edited:

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't think they should be legal unless they have been balanced very well. Not to mention the amount of work it would probably take to get every single item levelled up fully on each setup (for local tournaments.

Mott Scurry

Full Squid
NNID
mottscurray
I know it's really late, but I don't care.

Maybe everyone brings their own Wii U. It would make since you don't have to sign your Mii in. The only thing you would have to do is set up your Wi-Fi. That's highly unlikely, though, but it is possible. I know in Smash tournaments back in the GameCube days, people had to bring their own controllers (most people had their "lucky controller") and sometimes GameCubes. If I were to go to a Splatoon tournament, I would have to bring my gamepad because mine has a rubber grip that keeps my hands from sweating and is also more comfortable for me than one without the grip.

The alternative could be that they might have like preset gears (like one with each triple combination) That's even more unlikely, though.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
(most people had their "lucky controller")
People still bring their own controllers to tournaments, especially in Smash and other fighting games and this has nothing to do with being superstitious. Players are well-rehearsed with their own equipment and playing with a foreign controller would be a huge disadvantage.

At Splatoon's current state bringing your own Wii U would probably the best way to handle the equipment selection. Gear is getting more and more important in the meta and forcing everyone to play with basic/neutral gear wouldn't work at all - just imagine an E-Liter without Damage Ups for example :D

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
maybe a certain amount of gear could be saved to an amiibo for use on other wii u's, or the devs could make a tournament version of the game that allows you to set sub abilitys

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
we'd have to either have full saves pre-prepared somehow (probably through outside help) to go with the consoles or have everyone bring their own in. prolly a combination of both. Either way it'd be a pain in the *** unless someone finds/has a good way to get the saves.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Now that i think of it couldn't you save your data to a USB and copy it over to the setups at a venue? kinda like the save scum method, just minus the re rolls. It only takes about a minute to replace a previous file and you basically have your entire game just on a different wii u. Im not sure if you can copy saves from wii u to wii u but if anyone wants to give it a try i think this might just be the best way.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Nope, every Wii U's data is encrypted by a specific key which is created randomly when initializing. You can't copy backups to any console but your own. If that was possible, we'd have an easy solution.

Damandatwin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Damandatwin
Abilities are a big part of the game, I don't think it's reasonable to expect tournament players to play without them. That is a problem though since it basically means everyone will have to bring in their own Wii U (for this reason, as well as the fact that they need to play with the gamepad and you can only use one gamepad per console). We also don't have LAN support... honestly there doesn't seem to be a big advantage to doing local tournaments right now IMO.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
atm the best way is to bring your own console, sadly, as others stated, you cant just use USBs or something :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom