Getting really annoyed

BlueInk

Inkster Jr.
I'm getting really annoyed with Splatoon's lobby setup. I'm always the only American in a lobby, and my team always looses. Splatoon isn't even fun anymore because all the trams I join just end up losing all the time. And I am on the top of my team. I just wish Nintendo would balance things out in Splatoon! Crossing my fingers it's in the next update, if not then well.. I'm not gonna be a very happy squid ;^^

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I agree to some extent, but I feel they probably at least tried to make it as balanced as possible. Although I'd say the way players' skills are judged should be changed...if they're just going by level or rank it's often wrong.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
so far, the matching system is pretty messed. it matches players based on either splats or inking amount. no middle ground. one of two styles. that means if your team can't hit anyone for anything, you're guaranteed to get an equally weak team if you stay in lobby. i don't know if those stats transfer to different lobbies, but it should match two with two, so at least everyone has a chance at a good lobby.

Lorbeerprinz

Full Squid
NNID
lorbeerprinz
Have you tried playing at a different time of the day (if you can)? I've had similar issues for a long while, being the only non-Japanese player in basically any lobby I joined, to the point where I just knew the team I was on would lose. Then I switched my playing habits to a later time and now most lobbies I get in a quite mixed in terms of both region and skill. I can't say very much about the mechanics behind the matchmaking system as such, but changing online times did help to some degree.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
In case you're not playing Ranked, I'd suggest focusing less on winning games and more on other stuff. I, for one, always try to get the most points possible in a match to level up my gear, and I've noticed that on some matches I end up losing I make a lot more points than on the ones I do win (and we're talking about 300-400 points of difference, even with the win bonus). In case you are playing Ranked, maybe try finding a Squad you can rely on :ability_defenseup:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Well if this is just talking about Regular Battles. There shouldn't be any determining factor to who you get matched up with, absolutely none other than who's online. If you are getting matched up with foreign players (assuming JP since it's obvious if you're playing with a JP player) then you are probably playing during the night where a lot of NA and EU players are not online and JP players are (since it is day time over there).

If you have a team you can't stand, simply leave the room and go back in so you get shuffled into another batch of players and see if they're any good. If you choose to stay in the room you'll just end up with the same people you just played with if they also decided to stay.

BlueInk

Inkster Jr.
I tried leaving and going back but the same thing just keeps happening. I just want to stick with a lobby instead of constantly switching because it gets really repetitive xc

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
My biggest complaint is that the matchmaker doesn't try to even up teams based on weapon choices. Surely theres some small way for it to go, 'oh theres 2 chargers in this lobby, let's not put them on the same team'
or 'lets not put all 4 rollers on the same team'

Thats not to say 4 rollers or teams with 2 chargers can't win/dominate, but I'd still like a little matchmaker balance like that or something.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
Well it's very hard to balance because certain ranks (*cough* B+ *cough*) are extremely broad as far as who they contain goes. There are probably plenty of people in B+ who are playing at an A rank level but have just been getting unlucky with team groupings.

I guess nintendo could make it a little more advanced, maybe by adding your average place on past teams within your rank as a new variable for deciding the groups.

But then again, the way they do it now doesn't even seem to have a pattern haha. For example I played a match earlier where the only two A- players in the lobby were put on the opposing team (I still won...hehe). So it seems pretty random as is.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Random is random is random is random.

The matchmaker is random. If you wanted a team with a well rounded weapon selection you'd be better off making a squad or hopping in with friends. This is the nature of randomness. Weapons aren't taken into consideration cause weapons mean nothing to randomness. Randomness also equate into overall grand scheme fairness (note the overall part) since it treats everybody as of equal.

But then again, the way they do it now doesn't even seem to have a pattern haha. For example I played a match earlier where the only two A- players in the lobby were put on the opposing team (I still won...hehe). So it seems pretty random as is.
Ranked set up is a bit strange, I had times where the rankings were a bit slanted, other times where it was even. (Just saying the order people appear on the lobby screen doesn't seem to equal to how the teams are divided in rank, I'm certain I've had 2 higher ranks on the bottom half and they were divided among the teams in the actual match)

rndethan

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rndmuch
I've gotten to S rank with no issues and basically everyone else I play with is Japanese (unless the European splatfest is on)...

I guess the pairing up could be better if they distributed rollers and chargers equally on each team though.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I've gotten to S rank with no issues and basically everyone else I play with is Japanese (unless the European splatfest is on)...

I guess the pairing up could be better if they distributed rollers and chargers equally on each team though.
Statistically speaking. It is actually more balanced to have queues be be completely random without given weight to weapons. While distribution decreases weapon imbalance it actually increases the potential human imbalance since you shrink the size of selectable candidates, especially in consideration of potential skill difference between those distributed.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
My biggest complaint is that the matchmaker doesn't try to even up teams based on weapon choices. Surely theres some small way for it to go, 'oh theres 2 chargers in this lobby, let's not put them on the same team'
or 'lets not put all 4 rollers on the same team'

Thats not to say 4 rollers or teams with 2 chargers can't win/dominate, but I'd still like a little matchmaker balance like that or something.
I'd rather the game focus on matching people who live close to each other. Being matched with Japanese players when I live in the other side of the world is just... why?

rndethan

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rndmuch
Statistically speaking. It is actually more balanced to have queues be be completely random without given weight to weapons. While distribution decreases weapon imbalance it actually increases the potential human imbalance since you shrink the size of selectable candidates, especially in consideration of potential skill difference between those distributed.
I'm not sure if we're on the same page... I'm not talking about changing the way lobbies select users, I'm just saying that if somehow there's four or more users in a full lobby that have the same group of weapons, not to have it where one team has 4 rollers and the other team has no rollers at all.

Summary: Have it where the system selects which users will be on which team just before the game starts, not when people are getting into a lobby.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'm not sure if we're on the same page... I'm not talking about changing the way lobbies select users, I'm just saying that if somehow there's four or more users in a full lobby that have the same group of weapons, not to have it where one team has 4 rollers and the other team has no rollers at all.

Summary: Have it where the system selects which users will be on which team just before the game starts, not when people are getting into a lobby.
Yah, but doing that gives each weapon a value and weight to the game. The game treats everything as an equal value. It might suck to have a team of all one weapon type but at the same time it can be good, depends on who's piloting and who you're going against. This functionality also creates a far more distinctive method of play rather than every team acting under a generally identical formula. Rather than trying to make everybody a rock, make everybody either a rock, paper, or scissors.

This game is based on queue to pair people up. No matter what you do randomness could be a blessing or a curse. Trying to pair while influenced by weapons doesn't really detract from this but just creates other curse along with new blessings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom