Gimmick tournament ideas

Kyber

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5241-4285-0340
I had an idea for a "Only weapons under 200p" set. Bans a lot of the more top tier weapons similar to the Smogon Starlight tournament, though I'm not sure how complicated it would be to ensure all participants are using the weapons allowed. Other rules would be up to TOs (round/set formats, teams or individual signup) so it could be as simple as it needs to be

Another idea outside of the mechanics in Splatoon could be a "No comms / mics" set, where teams are forced not to talk to each other. Admittedly its a bit harder to enforce completely, though one solution could be to just set up a lot of voice channels in a Discord server and have all participants use them to visibly see they're muted. Otherwise rules would be up to the TOs again

I'm not sure how fun these sound but in terms of simplicity and freedom of rulesets they could work in theory ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
It's funny you post this because I was actually HEAVILY considering running a gimmick tourney when this site first saw its revival last week. It was mostly meant to be beginner-friendly and unserious in hopes that people newer to the community would be interested in joining as one of their first, or their very first tournament. Mainly went off of using both of these ideas at the same time...
  • TC or Clam Blitz 2v2s. Would make it easier for people to join since they would only need to find one other person, although I wouldn't have minded people joining without a partner and just having me assign them someone else who didn't have one. This would probably force the game mode to be either Tower Control or Clam Blitz, as I don't see Rainmaker working and Splat Zones seems way too snowbally.
  • Forcing one of the two players onto a randomized weapon. Every round, I would list three different weapons. One of the two players on every team must pick one of those three weapons. Like, for example, maybe Round 1 I'd get the vanilla H-3, vanilla Rapid Blaster, and gold Aerospray. A team could consider having a gold Aerospray and a Range Blaster as their comp, or they could say that their second guy would be fine on Rapid Blaster so their first guy picks Splash since they're more comfortable with that. Tacticooler would probably end up getting banned outright since it would limit comp building way too hard and you might need to rig the randomization a bit to make the three choices actually balanced so it's not like "pick the Splattershot, vanilla Splat Brella, or vanilla Carbon Roller." That would just be way too obvious. Big idea here is that I think Splatoon's weapon design, while not perfect, is fantastic, and it's really fun to have an excuse to use weapons that you've always been interested in, but not good enough at or scared of for one reason or another.
If you end up wanting to take this idea up, or really if you want to run any other gimmick tourney, let me know. I don't think anyone should just be jumping into tournament organizing alone, and I've never done it for Splatoon. You'd probably need a few more people to help out just to be safe but I would still be glad to help either way.

joe???

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4284-1031-3060
Chumps only. Possibly with special charge up main abilities only.

zyf_

Pro Squid
gimmick tournament idea except this isn't a gimmick i want this to be done regularly for science:
- RANDOM seeded
- groups of 5 -> top 2 make it to bracket.
- single elim, all bo5 bracket for top cut

guster-animations

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/them
two of my teammates have come up with a very detailed ruleset for splatoon freeze tag
this but a whole tourney. that’s the post

GreGuru

Inkling
Can’t remember if we ever did this, but “first team to pick up the Rainmaker wins” might take some toying with before people come up with the optimal comp.

kaasiand

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5912-2184-1423
secret santa 😁

all players pick a weapon, but before the weapon selection actually happens, each of the 8 weapons gets assigned to a random player. you might end up with an enemy's weapon, or one of your teammates', or with a bit of luck even the one you chose yourself! but teams could also take a gamble and intentionally pick bad weapons in the hope that their enemies get them. it would be goofy and wacky

Joy

Data Nerd
Premium
NNID
joythegreat
The one I *really* want to try but it would require a lot of research and math for is a “free agent tournament”.

Essentially, each player enters individually, and players are assigned their team+match. The assignments are not random, they’re determined by the outcomes and are handled by an algorithm. They play their match and wait for the next round, where they’re given their next assignment. Once all rounds are complete, the algorithm can decide a winner.

Highly complex to run and lots of math underneath, but from a player’s perspective it’s probably really fun and interesting!

Roundabout

Inkling
gimmick tournament idea except this isn't a gimmick i want this to be done regularly for science:
- RANDOM seeded
- groups of 5 -> top 2 make it to bracket.
- single elim, all bo5 bracket for top cut
Is there a reason for groups of 5? Otherwise I'd be curious to see the reaction to a weekly like this.

Roundabout

Inkling
Can’t remember if we ever did this, but “first team to pick up the Rainmaker wins” might take some toying with before people come up with the optimal comp.
I think doing a normal tournament, except the final game of every set is this would be funny.

zyf_

Pro Squid
Is there a reason for groups of 5? Otherwise I'd be curious to see the reaction to a weekly like this.
oh well so the full crackpot idea is that you make groups of some size and then the top part go into bo5 only single elim
and the bottom part goes into a bo3 single elim

and then at some point you recombine

but you make the bottom part single elim brutal enough that you'd never really want to sandbag into the bottom bracket
e.g. top 6 from the bo5 bracket and top2 from the bo3 bracket recombine into top 8 single elim

so its like jank double elim

but I need to simulate the numbers to figure out what are good actual numbers to choose for group size and what the top cut is (depending on the size of the bracket ofc)

GreGuru

Inkling
I think doing a normal tournament, except the final game of every set is this would be funny.
Lol yes make it so the speed of the tournament isn’t so slowed down by the jerks who can’t decide their Bo3s in 2 games.

starry_echo

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0303-8738-0802
Game 1 each team chooses 2 weapons the opponent must use in their comp

In subsequent games, the team that just won chooses 2 weapons the opponent must use, the losing team chooses 3.

Oh, and it's all rainmaker

zyf_

Pro Squid
wait
INSANE idea
turf war but you can't paint more than like
800p

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Mirror matches only. Each team picks two weapons, add them together and you both have the same comp.

strings

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-7616-8885-7288
Tacticooler weapons only. Cannot repeat weapons in your team comp.
Evil idea: maplist includes a few maps with chokepoints that are hard to break without a well-timed special.

B.Wizard

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1932-6974-6396
Random weapon and gear tournament rule. You must change everything before the match begins.

kaasiand

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5912-2184-1423
Tacticooler weapons only. Cannot repeat weapons in your team comp.
Evil idea: maplist includes a few maps with chokepoints that are hard to break without a well-timed special.
i remember seeing some clips from very early into the game where a team would block the way (i remember it being on wahoo zones?) by forming a wall with multiple tacticoolers. i need to see more of that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom