Good builds for a 52 gal and Luna blaster?

Luke_T-800

Inkling
NNID
The_Iron_Adonis
I have plenty of gear with three slots now, so Its time to focus on optimization. Any input would be appreciated, as I can't even decide on how many damage ups to use on my 52 gal lol

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
From what ive heard the .52 gal can actually benefit from a run speed up or two, not sure how viable this still is though. You might want to consider at least 1 damage up for both weapons.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
You can use anything you want with em really. For the .52 Gal I use this set-up:

:head_eye001: :ability_defenseup: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_inksavermain::ability_damage:
:clothes_swt002: :ability_defenseup: | :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_slp002: :ability_defenseup: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Four strength ups are just enough to counter 2 defense ups, and I use defense ups myself since the accuracy and fire rate aren't the best, so it gives me more time to land those two shots. That combined with the Swim Speed ups makes the weapon great in fire fights for me.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Defense up is so bad on a weapon with low fire-rate. even if you do survive a hit they can get two more out in the time it takes you to get one. With 4 damage up subs you still 2-hit anybody with 2 mains of defense, if anybody has more than that just abuse wall and dance around them with your superior movement because they wasted all their slots on defense.

Also a lot of people like ink management abilities on this weapon, however I think it doesn't really need them, learn to manage your ink yourself and benefit from the movement. If you can find a way to get ink recovery on a hat w/ run speed then by all means use it, Ink recovery certainly isn't bad.

The setup I use for .52 is:
:head_vis000: :ability_runspeed:| :ability_runspeed::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tly005: :ability_runspeed:| :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_bot003: :ability_inkresistance:| :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_damage:

This works really well for me actually. you might swap one of the run speed mains for swim speed if you like swimming better, or you die more often as swim speed helps you get back in.

I usually like coldblooded, but your such a powerhouse as a .52 that I feel like you don't exactly need it. abuse wall and stay out of sniper sight until the ten seconds are up and you should be good.

As for the Luna,

A lot of people like to really stack damage up, I don't really agree with this. Coming from the RB who really needs damage up, I feel like the other blasters don't need more than one main or four subs. I say this because all damage up will do for you is counter defense up and increase your ohko AoE. but since the blast range is small enough to begin with, your AoE range won't really change that much, especially with diminishing returns.

What would probably work better is stuff for movement, or respawn since this weapon will die a lot.
Probably swim speed over run speed bc you shouldn't really be running w/ this weapon, also swim speed will further increase the pseudo-range of your jump shots. [ and the speed you can squidtrot :) ] I would wear something like this:

:head_hbd002: :ability_damage:| :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump: or :head_eye005::ability_damage:| :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: if you like zooka
:clothes_tes017: :ability_swimspeed:| :ability_comeback::ability_comeback::ability_comeback:
:shoes_sdl001: :ability_comeback:| :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Alternatively you could use a build more reliant on zooka:

:head_cap005: :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_comeback::ability_comeback::ability_comeback:
:clothes_tel008: :ability_specialsaver:| :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
shoes_first :ability_specialsaver:| :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Or if you REALLY like zooka:

:head_msk000: :ability_tenacity:| :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_tly008: :ability_specialsaver:| :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_sht003: :ability_specialduration:| :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
That's the point of Defense Up, to lessen the downsides of having low accuracy and fire rate. It's not bad because of the low fire rate, I don't even see the connection there, they're gonna shoot faster than you regardless of whether or not you have defense up.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
Just use the stats you find the most useful. The stat system is there to facilitate your playstyle, not to make weapons slightly more powerful.

Charlight

Meme Spy
Defense up is so bad on a weapon with low fire-rate. even if you do survive a hit they can get two more out in the time it takes you to get one.
While I personally don't run defense up on .52 gal, that one extra shot can kill them and result in a trade instead of a death - that 2-shot kill is amazing.

As others have said, try running 4 sub damage ups on .52. I'm still trying to get that perfect gear, so for now I run 3 subs, and I rarely encounter people who run more defense up than I can counter with that. Other than that, I'd say go for personal preference. I like running recon, ink resistance, main saver and ink recovery, but have never tried run speed up - will definitely give that a try.

As for Luna, spam quick respawn and go play a tri-squad. You'll make the match practically 4v4.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
While I personally don't run defense up on .52 gal, that one extra shot can kill them and result in a trade instead of a death - that 2-shot kill is amazing.
I'd rather have abilities that let me run around my enemy or put out more walls, So I can kill w/o trades, than abilities that will let me trade.

That's the point of Defense Up, to lessen the downsides of having low accuracy and fire rate. It's not bad because of the low fire rate, I don't even see the connection there, they're gonna shoot faster than you regardless of whether or not you have defense up.
So what if it takes an extra tentatek shot to kill you? they get another two out before you can get your one out. while if a ttek runs defense he can take a .52 hit, turn around, fire off two rounds, take a hit, kill you with the third hit before you can get your third hit out. However, with the .52 the only thing defense is going to do is let you trade in unfavorable situations, hows this for a change, don't get in unfavorable situations. This weapon has the tools to avoid them, with wall, good range and a very fast ttk (especially if you can get close) use your limited slots to improve those things not try to build another out of defense.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Are you assuming all hits are gonna be consecutive, cause that's not how firefights work out at all the majority of the time. You'll get a shot or two in, miss the next few, then maybe get another shot in, miss some more, and so ons, and it'll be the same for your opponent.

And lol the increased survivability doesn't just let you trade, but can also let you kill your opponent while you survive. It's usefulness isn't limited to rapid fire shooters either but also chargers, rollers, blasters, burst bombs, and really anything that deals damage in certain situations.

If you'd rather use other abilitys then by all means, we all have our preferences. I for instance don't feel the .52 Gal needs anything specific outside of strength up, so since I was already using quick respawn for a bunch of weapons, I just opted for defense up and have been liking it, thus I feel the OP could atleast try it out for himself.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Are you assuming all hits are gonna be consecutive, cause that's not how firefights work out at all the majority of the time. You'll get a shot or two in, miss the next few, then maybe get another shot in, miss some more, and so ons, and it'll be the same for your opponent.

And lol the increased survivability doesn't just let you trade, but can also let you kill your opponent while you survive. It's usefulness isn't limited to rapid fire shooters either but also chargers, rollers, blasters, burst bombs, and really anything that deals damage in certain situations.

If you'd rather use other abilitys then by all means, we all have our preferences. I for instance don't feel the .52 Gal needs anything specific outside of strength up, so since I was already using quick respawn for a bunch of weapons, I just opted for defense up and have been liking it, thus I feel the OP could atleast try it out for himself.
You're right in that we have a different preference and I'm sorry if I came off as a jerk. All I'm saying is whenever I have to go against somebody with tons of defense, they're more of a nuisance than they are an actual threat. I think it's a trick out of the bag that works once but imo good players will recognize your defense and further exploit the weaknesses of the defense build. This might not happen to you though, or it does and you don't realize it. Either way I wish you luck in your splatoon career.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
You're right in that we have a different preference and I'm sorry if I came off as a jerk. All I'm saying is whenever I have to go against somebody with tons of defense, they're more of a nuisance than they are an actual threat. I think it's a trick out of the bag that works once but imo good players will recognize your defense and further exploit the weaknesses of the defense build. This might not happen to you though, or it does and you don't realize it. Either way I wish you luck in your splatoon career.
Nah you're fine compared to real jerks. If you don't think it does much well that's a perfectly valid opinion. I would like to mention that Defense up doesn't have any negative side effects, and weakness would come from the weapon itself and mostly remain regardless of what abilitys you use. Unless you mean weakness by not being able to take advantage of more abilitys, but that goes both way since there aren't enough slots to have every ability, and even if you try to, their effects are gonna be weaker than when you focus on only a few.

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
I see lots of high ranked Japanese players running 2-3 defense up mains or equivalent. I would be interested to see how their meta is different.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I see lots of high ranked Japanese players running 2-3 defense up mains or equivalent. I would be interested to see how their meta is different.
I see this as well and have heard that insane amounts are very effective. I just havnt found the answer to why..assuming its true

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
Youre pretty much just gonna wanna do a combination of damage up and quick respawn on the Luna Blaster, with maybe one extra thing depending on how you feel, I like Swim Speed Up myself.

Marshall

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Marshall137
For .52 Gal you can eifher just stack Damage Up or Defense Up to win fire fights or rely on your Splash Wall, or anything else which suits you.

Personally, I use this setup which has Defense Up and ink savers for the Wall tactic. Special Charge Up helps to get Killer Wail, and Run Speed Up just generally helps.

:head_hdp000::ability_inksavermain:| :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery:| :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_slp002::ability_defenseup:| :ability_damage::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

For the Luna Blaster, the setup really matters to your playstyle. Luna has a short range with a big blast. The range is a bit lacking, but the inzooka helps with far-off foes. Ink mines won't do much though.

This is my setup for the Luna Blaster. I use Ink Resistence because I know I'll be swimming around everywhere to try Splatting the enemy team, and i'll most likely to get stuck in enemy ink. I use Swim Speed up to make fast escapes.

:head_hdp000::ability_inksavermain:| :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_specialcharge:
clothes_vest000:ability_swimspeed:| :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:| :ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration::ability_swimspeed:

Those were my setups, but I highly recomend you try out your own setups and find one which fits your playstyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom