• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Good Mid Ranged Shooters for Ranked?

97Stephen

Pro Squid
In ranked I have been playing with the .96 gal deco, but I don't use the sub cause I am really bad at it. I don't want to play a weapon whose sub I never use. So I was wondering, what other mid to long range shooters are good at everything? My play style is a little aggressive, so I'm usually in the middle of it.

Silentium

Senior Squid
Isn't the .96 Gal considered more of a long ranged weapon?

Anyways, the tentatek splattershot is a very good mid ranged weapon. The weapon itself has alright range, killing potential and inking potential. It's sub is useful for zoning, protection, spooking enemies away, and even the occasional kill. The inkzooka is useful for nabbing those who are far away, such as snipers. It's very versatile, so you'll be hard pressed to find a situation in which you'll do poorly with it.

For longer ranged weapons, check out the dual squelcher and the splattershot pro. Relative to the .96 Gal, they give up raw damage for increased attacking speed. It probably takes the longest to kill with the dual squelcher, though you'll be able to ink the fastest with it. The splattershot pro is the most balanced of the higher ranged shooters.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Well, @Silentium's suggestion is spot on: the splattershot tentatek is probably considered the most versatile mid-range weapon because it inks well, has a decent time-to-kill, a great zoning sub, and the powerful inkzooka. Real low skill floor but high skill ceiling. You can also try the vanilla splattershot, which is a bit less straightforward, but can be a beast in the right hands. It usually requires a specific gear set to be good though (bomb range and damage ups).

The .52 gal is another great mid-range weapon, but is also has the splash wall. So if you aren't using it now, then you probably won't use it with the .52.

The N-Zap 85 is a decent mid-range weapon. Fast fire rate makes for good inking, the splat bomb is a great all-around sub, and the echolocator is amazing (and you can charge it well with the n-zap).

For long range weapons, like Silentium said, the dual squelcher and the splattershot pro are your best options.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Any mid-ranged Shooter can work as long as you understand its playstyle throughout the different maps and modes and such. Personally the only Shooter I use is the RBD, but that is not something with which to start out because it has a fairly high learning curve. For starters, I'd say the Splattershot. It's just great for anything, and dangerous in good hands, which aren't hard to acquire. All you need is some Bomb Range Up and you're probably good to go.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Thanks for the input guys. My brother swears by the tentatek and I use it in tw, I'll have to try it in ranked. I like the normal splattershot, but my aim with burst bombs is the worst. I really need to practice on that.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
A ton of players use the Tentatek Splattershot at high level play. Besides just that, I do not see many other mid range shooters besides the .52 Gal.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
A lot of people write off the standard Splattershot, but the Burst Bombs can be very useful tools with some:ability_bombrange: and:ability_damage:. It may be a bit harder to use than it's Tentatek cousin, but it still has good potential.

Both L-3 Nozzlenoses are nice too, once you get the rhythm down, they have good inking potential, great mobility, solid range and time to splat, and useful sub-weapons.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
A lot of people write off the standard Splattershot, but the Burst Bombs can be very useful tools with some:ability_bombrange: and:ability_damage:. It may be a bit harder to use than it's Tentatek cousin, but it still has good potential.

Both L-3 Nozzlenoses are nice too, once you get the rhythm down, they have good inking potential, great mobility, solid range and time to splat, and useful sub-weapons.
I have never actually tried the Nozzlenoses. I've heard that they are really good, but take a ton of skill. I don't think I am good enough to use them, but I'll give them a shot anyway.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I tried out the Nozzlenose L-3 today and WOW, is my aim is not that good, I definitly need to work on it. Other than that, I really like it. I have a question, what sensitivity should I be using, I've been using around -2, should I go lower or higher?

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I tried out the Nozzlenose L-3 today and WOW, is my aim is not that good, I definitly need to work on it. Other than that, I really like it. I have a question, what sensitivity should I be using, I've been using around -2, should I go lower or higher?
Go to full +5 like me. OpieOP

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'm in the middle, closer to HappyBear. For "high accuracy, high speed" weapons (L3, Bamboozler, Squiffer, SSPro, etc.) I generally go around +3.

Fast and frantic weapons (rollers, blasters except RBP, sploosh) and most shooters (splattershot, squelchers, splash, etc.) I do +5.

Splat charger I'll generally do 0. E-liter scope -5. The scope just bounces too much for anything else (and I wish it could go lower.) Unscoped eliter I'm still figurin out. -2.5 might be it.

But L3's tricky (and probably part of it's difficulty) - you need to be fast and frantic so high sensitivity like rollers is best, but you need to be accurate, so max just doesn't do it for me.

@HappyBear801 : Eliter with +5? Yikes. I need a gamepad support to pull off that kind of accuracy. Heck, even real long rifles get tripods! :scared:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'm in the middle, closer to HappyBear. For "high accuracy, high speed" weapons (L3, Bamboozler, Squiffer, SSPro, etc.) I generally go around +3.

Fast and frantic weapons (rollers, blasters except RBP, sploosh) and most shooters (splattershot, squelchers, splash, etc.) I do +5.

Splat charger I'll generally do 0. E-liter scope -5. The scope just bounces too much for anything else (and I wish it could go lower.) Unscoped eliter I'm still figurin out. -2.5 might be it.

But L3's tricky (and probably part of it's difficulty) - you need to be fast and frantic so high sensitivity like rollers is best, but you need to be accurate, so max just doesn't do it for me.

@HappyBear801 : Eliter with +5? Yikes. I need a gamepad support to pull off that kind of accuracy. Heck, even real long rifles get tripods! :scared:
I got that sensitivity because I was just messing around with it for sh*ts and giggles and I thought "Let's try +5 that'll be crazy and hilarious," but then I fell in love with it and have never changed it since. Heck I can get 2-shots in with the RBD with no Damage Up with it it's SO GOOD. I know I'm a little crazy. :confused:

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I got that sensitivity because I was just messing around with it for sh*ts and giggles and I thought "Let's try +5 that'll be crazy and hilarious," but then I fell in love with it and have never changed it since. Heck I can get 2-shots in with the RBD with no Damage Up with it it's SO GOOD. I know I'm a little crazy. :confused:
How do you keep the gamepad steady? Do you hold it a certain way? I'm wondering cause at +5 every little shake gets magnified a lot, which sometimes throws my aim off.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
How do you keep the gamepad steady? Do you hold it a certain way? I'm wondering cause at +5 every little shake gets magnified a lot, which sometimes throws my aim off.
I'm very calm and focused when I play and I've developed a way to control exactly how much to move the gamepad to know where to aim. All you have to do is not choose the flavor of salt. :cool:

Silentium

Senior Squid
Sometimes what I do is predict where the target is going and aim there and let the guy run into the crosshairs. This is more useful for targets that are farther away.
You could also use strafing to help you hit targets. Use the motion controls to aim at the enemy, but strafe around once when you're close enough. That way you're not moving the controller around in an attempt to get perfect accuracy, just to end up missing all your shots.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'm jealous! o_O I mean I've done eliter with +5...I use +5 for most weapons, and I did ok with eliter there, but especially with the scope, I find the lower I set it, the better the hit rate. I'd do -10 if I could (though I might be switching to unscoped more regularly now so I might keep it higher from now on.) I can tell the difference pretty quickly if I leave it high, I just lose accuracy.

Though eliter on +5 is still a lot more usable for me than the other day when I was playing eliter, switched to carbon, and walked into ranked with -5 sensitivity. That was NOT a fun round, though we managed to win in spite of me. Carbon at -5 is a new level of pain.

RBD...I think I used to use that at +5 too, but that's definitely in my +3 pool now. It's close but just makes the gyros spaz out a little less. I guess I'm a little aggressive on the trigger...the high sensitivity shakes the aim too much :)

Sometimes what I do is predict where the target is going and aim there and let the guy run into the crosshairs. This is more useful for targets that are farther away.
You could also use strafing to help you hit targets. Use the motion controls to aim at the enemy, but strafe around once when you're close enough. That way you're not moving the controller around in an attempt to get perfect accuracy, just to end up missing all your shots.
I wish that worked with sniper lasers... :(

With L3, at least the way I play L3, I'm not sure you'd have time/range to strafe it. I usually play it duck and cover style like a special forces raid zipping between obstacles (unless I'm running a target down, in which strafing would be essential.) Then again It seems L3 is considered a little bit campy in some circles....not everyone uses it as a forward assault/hit&run raid gun like me, so I'm a little weird :cool:

So i took out H3-D for a while today. Overall I think I still favor L3 for a highly aggressive play style with its mobility, speed, and disruptors, but I've grown a lot fonder of what you can do with H3. I used to see it as a ranged L3. It's not. IMO, L3 is the ranged one, and because of the travel speed of the rounds, H3 is, contradictory the close range one. It's like a rapid sploosh. that has the option of a 2hko ranged option if you need it. If you play it stealth-aggressive, close in close and unload the shot it's a neat little ohko weapon that inks like a charger. H3 might actually be a better sploosh than sploosh. It's like an uncharged squiffer that's best used at sploosh range but with a bamboozler as a second sub. :confused: But it runs backward of the descriptions. H3 is a great stealth/assassin weapon great for picking off isolated inklings, or ambushing several if you can secure the element of surprise. L3 is a forward assault weapon for intentionally taking multiple inklings and causing chaos. I actually like both, though H3 benefits from NOT being button mashy as much as L3. Nozzlenose is really interesting. Dismal at inking in TW though. Things fell apart when the high-rankers arrived in TW on Piranha and started spamming krakens and bubblers right out of the gates. H3 needs setup time L3 does not.

Anyway, I tried both +3 and +5. It's very usable at +5 (and it's slow fire rate is harder to control than the faster fire rate on L3, so that says something.) But I did find the added accuracy of +3 was worth a slight reduction in turn rate.

Kupo

Inkling
NNID
PotOfDirt
In ranked I have been playing with the .96 gal deco, but I don't use the sub cause I am really bad at it. I don't want to play a weapon whose sub I never use. So I was wondering, what other mid to long range shooters are good at everything? My play style is a little aggressive, so I'm usually in the middle of it.
Hi! I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but I think I should give you my thoughts anyway. Like many people may say, Tentatek Splattershot is a great option due to it's reliability with how versatile it is. It's even widely considered to be the best weapon in the game! But, I think another great alternative is .52 Gal and .96 Deco. Even though you said you have trouble using it's sub (Splash Wall), I think you should at least try learning it a little more! It's incredible due to it putting enormous pressure on the enemy,and it almost guarantees that you win in firefights. It's just a little bit more complex! But if you don't want to, that's okay. I think other good alternatives for an aggressive player like you are the Splattershot, .96 Gal, Splattershot, Forge Splattershot Pro, and perhaps the Squelcher family. I know this is a very late reply, and that this may not be relevant anymore, but I hope you get to find the weapon that clicks for you! Don't worry, I was in this situation too, and I think lots of players were as well. Good luck!

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Hi! I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but I think I should give you my thoughts anyway. Like many people may say, Tentatek Splattershot is a great option due to it's reliability with how versatile it is. It's even widely considered to be the best weapon in the game! But, I think another great alternative is .52 Gal and .96 Deco. Even though you said you have trouble using it's sub (Splash Wall), I think you should at least try learning it a little more! It's incredible due to it putting enormous pressure on the enemy,and it almost guarantees that you win in firefights. It's just a little bit more complex! But if you don't want to, that's okay. I think other good alternatives for an aggressive player like you are the Splattershot, .96 Gal, Splattershot, Forge Splattershot Pro, and perhaps the Squelcher family. I know this is a very late reply, and that this may not be relevant anymore, but I hope you get to find the weapon that clicks for you! Don't worry, I was in this situation too, and I think lots of players were as well. Good luck!
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I have tried the tentatek and I like the weapon, I like the sub, but the inkzooka just doesn't work for me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm lucky if I get one kill with it. It just seems silly to me to play a weapon if I'm not going to use the whole kit.
I use the gals occasionally and I like them, but they don't really "click" for me. I like the .96 but between my not perfect aim and the weapons spread I have lots of trouble trying to land to second hit. I have been using the splash a lot more and I think I'm getting better at using it, so that's not too much of an issue. Right now in rank I'm just playing around with different weapons. I haven't found an aggressive weapon that's really clicked yet (maybe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom