Got down. wanna get back up with the Custom Jet Squelcher.

paida1

Inkling
NNID
paida1
Hey!
First of all: Ive been following Squidboards since 2 weeks and i like the community here! so i decided to join in too.

My Problem now;
I started playing Splatoon like 3 months ago. I had fun and stuff but then i realized: i want a real challenge.
I started playing ranked (mained krak-on back then) and i got like B+.
I was stuck in B+ and i knew that i need to get better to get out of it.
I started maining the Dynamo and i got to S in 2 weeks!

But...
When i started playing Dynamo in S i felt really bad, i lost and did not do anything good like i lost my whole skill?!
i kinda stopped playing ranked and i started playing more turf wars because i still wanted to play splatoon without losing my rank.
with playing more turf wars i tried to play every weapon at least once.
Turned out i love the Custom Jet Squelcher.
The thing is i never learned aiming because ive been playing rollers for my whole splatoon life.
and i want some generally help with Gear/my Job in games and some stuff.

My Question: How can i become a good custom squelcher to gain some rank again and play some good games with people in S or higher.
I am really happy with every help i get! :)

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
With the Jet Squelchers you have to make the most out of your range as you have one of the slowest splatting weapons in the game, and you also have to make sure to hit your mark. However, as I don't have much experience with the Custom Jet Squelcher, I can't give tips on how to use it specifically aside of what I just said

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Hey a fellow Custom Jet Squelcher main, of course I'd lend some advice! Like with anything the best way to get good at it is to practice and use it a lot. In terms of how the CJS plays, you'll wanna be more defensive than you would be with a Splattershot or N'Zap due to the longer ttk. Thankfully it has the range to do this, and you'll want to take advantage of shooting foes who can't shoot you back at any given opportunity. Direct firefights are inevitable of course, but Burst Bombs also help a lot here. This isn't a charger though, so you don't have to play purely defensively and infact should definitely be pushing whenever you have the Kraken ready, but until you feel confident in your abilitys with it I'd just hang back most of the time.

As for abilitys, here's the main combo I use with it for example:

:head_ncp003: :ability_tenacity: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tly007: :ability_damage: | :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_shi004: :ability_inkrecovery: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Tenacity makes a lot of sense here as you should be surviving longer with the more defensive playstyle, and of course the Kraken is a special well worth building up to. The strength ups are mainly to increase Burst Bomb effectiveness, but also help the main weapon by extending it's 4 hit kill range and making it likely to kill in 3 shots since that deals 99.9 damage. My last two abilitys are ones usable on any weapon really so not much to say there. For the most part you can use whatever abilitys you want with this weapon so feel free to experiment. Hope all this helps!

paida1

Inkling
NNID
paida1
Hey a fellow Custom Jet Squelcher main, of course I'd lend some advice! Like with anything the best way to get good at it is to practice and use it a lot. In terms of how the CJS plays, you'll wanna be more defensive than you would be with a Splattershot or N'Zap due to the longer ttk. Thankfully it has the range to do this, and you'll want to take advantage of shooting foes who can't shoot you back at any given opportunity. Direct firefights are inevitable of course, but Burst Bombs also help a lot here. This isn't a charger though, so you don't have to play purely defensively and infact should definitely be pushing whenever you have the Kraken ready, but until you feel confident in your abilitys with it I'd just hang most of the time.

:head_ncp003: :ability_tenacity: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tly007: :ability_damage: | :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_shi004: :ability_inkrecovery: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Tenacity makes a lot of sense here as you should be surviving longer with the more defensive playstyle, and of course the Kraken is a special well worth building up to. The strength ups are mainly to increase Burst Bomb effectiveness, but also help the main weapon by extending it's 4 hit kill range and making it likely to kill in 3 shots since that deals 99.9 damage. My last two abilitys are ones usable on any weapon really so not much to say there. For the most part you can use whatever abilitys you want with this weapon so feel free to experiment. Hope all this helps!
Oh wow thank you for all that! Im gonna try everything you told me. But what about the maps? when do i know that i am safe? or where am i safe? The positioning is one of my weakest points and i do not know how to make it better/how to find good places to stay/run around

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Oh wow thank you for all that! Im gonna try everything you told me. But what about the maps? when do i know that i am safe? or where am i safe? The positioning is one of my weakest points and i do not know how to make it better/how to find good places to stay/run around
Usually you're safe when you have a clear line of sight towards the enemy (like pathways or elevated areas) or they don't have a way to reach you directly (for example, shooting from across the gaps in Camp Triggerfish). In my experience with the Jet Squelcher (and the Heavy Splatling), I usually want to keep as much distance from the enemy while still being able to see them (or at least hit them). That said, don't go fighting Chargers if they have a clear shot on you; don't expect to splat them faster than they can charge. Also, watch out for enemies with Inkzookas at all times

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Whenever and wherever you can't be shot obviously. :P
Awareness is also improved upon through experience, and in terms of knowing what's going on it's no different from when you were using Rollers.

Last edited:

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Since Dolphin and LMG already gave a good general rundown for the Custom Jet Squelcher, another thing I'll add on is that I do find Bomb Range Up to be quite useful since it allows me to use my Burst Bombs as a additional mid/semi-far AoE range option to either soften enemies up before finishing them off with my main weapon or just outright splatting them from a distance.

Of course Bomb Range Up isn't necessary, but it is a skill I personally do find useful (and enjoyable) to use on the Custom Jet Squelcher. I also find the Special Saver skill to be pretty nice if you do happen to get splatted a lot and Special Duration Up pretty decent for your Kraken.

Here's my personal Custom Jet Squelcher Setup if you are interested as another example:

Last edited:

paida1

Inkling
NNID
paida1
Since Dolphin and LMG already gave a good general rundown for the Custom Jet Squelcher, another thing I'll add on is that I do find Bomb Range Up to be quite useful since it allows me to use my Burst Bombs as a additional mid/semi-far AoE range option to either soften enemies up before finishing them off with my main weapon or just outright splatting them from a distance.

Of course Bomb Range Up isn't necessary, but it is a skill I personally do find useful (and enjoyable) to use on the Custom Jet Squelcher. I also find the Special Saver skill to be pretty nice if you do happen to get splatted a lot and Special Duration Up pretty decent for your Kraken.

Here's my personal Custom Jet Squelcher Setup if you are interested as another example:
I know what you want to say! but dolphin and LMG said that being safe and find a place where i can not get splatted is important so i dont think special saver is a good thing. but i know what you mean with the bomb range up. ill try to gear from dolphin first and if i feel like i need more bomb range im gonna try something else!

But thank you all <3

paida1

Inkling
NNID
paida1
Hey a fellow Custom Jet Squelcher main, of course I'd lend some advice! Like with anything the best way to get good at it is to practice and use it a lot. In terms of how the CJS plays, you'll wanna be more defensive than you would be with a Splattershot or N'Zap due to the longer ttk. Thankfully it has the range to do this, and you'll want to take advantage of shooting foes who can't shoot you back at any given opportunity. Direct firefights are inevitable of course, but Burst Bombs also help a lot here. This isn't a charger though, so you don't have to play purely defensively and infact should definitely be pushing whenever you have the Kraken ready, but until you feel confident in your abilitys with it I'd just hang back most of the time.

also i just noticed that your gear is pretty lucky and the brands are not the best ones. should i still try getting it or try something else?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
also i just noticed that your gear is pretty lucky and the brands are not the best ones. should i still try getting it or try something else?
I'd have no problem with ya ordering them off me, but unless you wanna use my exact set-up there's probably other things you could use.

paida1

Inkling
NNID
paida1
I'd have no problem with ya ordering them off me, but unless you wanna use my exact set-up there's probably other things you could use.
I got some money but i think ordering them would be much cheaper :P we can try it sometime

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
Turn your sensitivity down. That will help keep your aim from wobbling at long distance. Damage up helps a little bit but isn't totally necessary. You can use bomb range up to keep your opponents far away and to help get those who duck behind barriers to avoid your shots. Swim speed up isn't necessary because the point is to stay as far as you can from your opponent, and not to swim up to them quickly which will put you at disadvantage. Run Speed Up can help a bit for close range engagements and it helps you spread ink quicker as you strafe. Cold Blooded can help keep opponents from finding you before you find them. Bomb Range, Run Speed, and Damage Up should be what you focus on. Defense Up can also be great because you might need more shots than other guns to get the KO. Having defense will level you out with others since now they will need more shots to KO you.

paida1

Inkling
NNID
paida1
Turn your sensitivity down. That will help keep your aim from wobbling at long distance. Damage up helps a little bit but isn't totally necessary. You can use bomb range up to keep your opponents far away and to help get those who duck behind barriers to avoid your shots. Swim speed up isn't necessary because the point is to stay as far as you can from your opponent, and not to swim up to them quickly which will put you at disadvantage. Run Speed Up can help a bit for close range engagements and it helps you spread ink quicker as you strafe. Cold Blooded can help keep opponents from finding you before you find them. Bomb Range, Run Speed, and Damage Up should be what you focus on. Defense Up can also be great because you might need more shots than other guns to get the KO. Having defense will level you out with others since now they will need more shots to KO you.
okay thank you im gonna try what you explained! i think tis is gonna work but i still wanted to try what dolphin recommended me :x

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
A direct hit + a near hit from Burst Bombs will not kill without damage ups, neither will 2 near hits + a far hit, so I would say damage up is necessary. Additionally, you're suggesting defense up to help alleviate the Squelchers long kill time, but damage up also helps with that as explained already. They take one step in your ink and boom, you can now kill as fast as a Splattershot Pro. Now this next part is purely my opinion, but I feel Bomb range up is redundant here since the main weapon already has more range.

Next you say swim speed isn't necessary because you shouldn't be near the opponent, but then go on to suggest run speed for when you're near the opponent. In truth, you are inevitably gonna be near the opponent, and sometimes you will want to be. Swim Speed is good on literally every weapon, helping you chase down foes or escape bad situations among other general movement options, and it's especially good with the CJS as it aids with kiteing, burst bomb melee, and of course the Kraken, so basically all aspects of the weapon. Run speed on the other hand hardly has much effect due to the CJS movement while shooting being slow as molasses, thus squid strafeing will always be better.

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
meh, it's different strategies. I wouldn't toss too many burst bombs cause your main gun already uses ink pretty fast. I like run speed so I can keep firing and I don't have to duck. You do what works for you tho.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
This is a bit of a tangent but still related:

I often find myself wanting to use the vanilla JS because the wall is so useful and ink strike can be used to push chargers, but I get the sense that CJS is more versatile (if a bit harder to master). Can someone explain the pros and cons of the two jet squelchers?

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel

I often find myself wanting to use the vanilla JS because the wall is so useful and ink strike can be used to push chargers, but I get the sense that CJS is more versatile (if a bit harder to master). Can someone explain the pros and cons of the two jet squelchers?
The wall can be good for blocking opponents who get too close to you. The wall is pretty useful for rainmaker as it block the rainmaker shots. I think the wall is better for Splatzones than the burst bombs. The wall allows you to stay back safely and not get snipersed as well.

The burst bomb is good for up close and for hitting opponents over walls. Burst canceling allows you to get kills faster many times.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral

The standard Jet Squelcher is better for defensive playstyle, while the Custom Jet Squelcher works best in a harassment role. Basically, one is hard to splat and the other is decent at splatting

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
meh, it's different strategies. I wouldn't toss too many burst bombs cause your main gun already uses ink pretty fast. I like run speed so I can keep firing and I don't have to duck. You do what works for you tho.
Whatever strategys you're using don't make what I said any less true. :P

I mean, one has Inkstrike, the other doesn't, so there you go! For a less half-***** answer, you already outrange most everything, and the Custom has Burst Bombs and Kraken for close range combat, so the Wall isn't really missed and not worth essentially having no special for.

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
if you're looking to be aggressive and use burst bombs to get quick kills, you are better off going with the carbon roller or the neo splash o matic. Both have much better mobility and kill faster. IMO jet squelcher is meant for long distance.... but it's up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom