1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Guide: Team Communication + Callouts. Now with Map Overviews!

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Hitzel, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Nukichuu

Nukichuu Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Nukikero
    A Guide that teaches me how to talk to my Teammates? Its nice to see that you put so much work into it but is that really necessary? @_@

2. Hitzel

Hitzel Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Hitzelburger
    Absolutely, it's an important fundamental skill in competitive shooters =)

Drez likes this.
  3. Dylan26

Dylan26 Full Squid
    Content Team

NNID:
    Dylan26
    Where can we find the document? Would reallh love to show this to my team

4. Hitzel

Hitzel Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Hitzelburger
    The Resources Folder is here.

The Callouts Folder is here.

New overviews will also be placed there =)

5. BeanYak

BeanYak Full Squid

NNID:
    Catman789
    Wow I'm pretty late to this. I made a post pretty similar to this one, but your post is far better: http://squidboards.com/threads/game-lingo-thread.2167/

Just to add my two cents, though:
    • Rather than "our X" & "their X", I would suggest that people refer to callouts as "Good X" & "Bad X". I think it tackles the point of unique syllables a bit better, it feels more comfortable to say, and it fits more with Splatoon's idea of "Good Guys vs. Bad Guys", which appears to be the only in game way of naming the teams. I guess there are splatfests, but you know what I mean.
    • In my thread, I've also listed some objective based callouts, which will surely also become important.
    If you guys happen to still be working on this stuff, I'd love to have some input.

AlsoDededork649 likes this.
  6. Drez

Drez Pro Squid

NNID:
    neokrw
    Those who will listen.

It is for those who want to have good communication with their team. Considering each match goes on for 3 minutes, would be best to be effective as possible. Saying "Weak Roller Top Mid!!" Would be better than saying "Damn it guys, that stupid roller got me again, get him for me, I shot him like 4 times!!" By the time you finish your sentence, your team may get rolled, and it could cause you to lose the match if it were in the last 30 seconds. I think I can understand your mindset "Why make a guide about talking, I want a guide that can get me gud, like splatter hopping, yeah!" (If that's not your mindset I apologize) I think I used to think like that before, but now I have grown to understand that everything can make me a better player, not just strategy/advanced tech.

7. Nukichuu

Nukichuu Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Nukikero
    But how are those callouts better than just normal talking?

8. Drez

Drez Pro Squid

NNID:
    neokrw
    Because they save time, of which you have only 3 minutes. I also explained it in a paragraph, so it seems like you didn't read that post or the OP. If you disagree, then talk normally. I don't think this is something that should really be argued about. It should be obvious. It just wastes space when people can just see content that is actually helpful.

9. Accidental

Accidental Inkling

NNID:
    AccNinja
    Hey @Hitzel just to let you know, your callouts are pretty good. I didn't think people would be working on them this early xD. Anyway, I started working on my own callouts last night, but I saw this, and I agree with most of the naming conventions. Good work!

10. Hitzel

Hitzel Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Hitzelburger
    Hey thanks for all of the support everyone!

I want to announce that a big update is coming to this guide. I've been working with Squid Squad with these callouts, and once Ink or Sink is finished, I'm going to be updating the Callouts based on what we've been using, what we haven't been using, and additions we've made. Flounder Heights and Urchin Underpass will be added as well.

If there are any other teams or groups that want to give any input, don't be afraid to contact me!

Drez and Flying_Tortoise like this.
  11. bluedeero

bluedeero Full Squid

NNID:
    blue-deero
    Does anyone have the PSD file for Urchin Underpass callouts that they can share? I have yet to see it uploaded elsewhere on the forums.

12. Vintagestep

Vintagestep Full Squid

NNID:
    Vintagestep
    Loved the guide, but don't use the callouts as yours, they were made by https://twitter.com/3balkan/
    You didn't said they were made by other person or gave any link to the source which I find a bit offensive to the author, is like If I translate this guide to French and say in the french community that I made it by myself.

13. Hitzel

Hitzel Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Hitzelburger
    That's because I made the callouts. Squid Squad had helped me.

*Edit*

Oooh, you mean the orange images! So you're saying the owner of that twitter made them? They were passed to me by a random stream viewer and never figured out where they came from, if that's the author I'll give him credit in the OP.

@bluedeero Urchin Underpass callouts have been on my plate for quite a while now, but I've been very busy and haven't gotten to making them since we've naturally developed them over time and haven't felt the need for an image. I'll eventually get to it, I don't have a timeframe for you unfortunately.

14. Vintagestep

Vintagestep Full Squid

NNID:
    Vintagestep
    Welp, that's true, sorry for the missunderstanding, you came with the callouts, and the images are other thing, yes they belong to him, he has now the hammerhead bridge if you're interested. On the link if his twitter(that kind of blog) you'll find the stuff.

Hitzel likes this.
  15. VideoGameVirtuoso

VideoGameVirtuoso Pro Squid

NNID:
    ExtremeTechPro
    Hello Hitzel, are you still planning of providing more map callouts and images? I find them very useful.

9999 and thedragonseer like this.
  16. rafa

rafa Inkling

NNID:
    rafakp94
    Yess *-* I'd love to see these callout images of the new maps :D

17. kikichan86

kikichan86 Inkling

NNID:
    kikichan86
    Just popped into say as a fresh squid - this is actually exactly what I'd been looking for. No experience with other shooters, and just started squadding and using voice chat~ This gives us some guidance and structure!

#37 kikichan86, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  18. ChipsAhoy

ChipsAhoy Full Squid

NNID:
    Mr.ChipsAhoy
    Thank you! This should help my team, Lock N Splat Neo a lot! Thanks a lot!

19. rafa

rafa Inkling

NNID:
    rafakp94
    Any updates with the new maps on this @Hitzel ? Would help a lot :D

20. Hitzel

Hitzel Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Hitzelburger
    There are psd files uploaded of the new maps but the callouts aren't final. You SHOULD be able to view them without photoshop.