• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

H-3 Nozzlenose D: Analysis and Thoughts

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
Why are we even making this comparison? These weapons play differently anyways. The H3D is a supportive weapon meant to get threats off of the map and/or sit behind its teammates. The forge pro is an aggressive rushdown weapon meant to play on the front lines at all times.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Why are we even making this comparison? These weapons play differently anyways. The H3D is a supportive weapon meant to get threats off of the map and/or sit behind its teammates. The forge pro is an aggressive rushdown weapon meant to play on the front lines at all times.
Weird, you say 'THANK YOU' to Smoothshake317's post which basically calls the H-3D an offensive powerhouse and then here you go on and say it's a support weapon. I gotta ask, what your definition of 'support' is in this case cause it seems much broader than what I have in mind.

Also, not really sure why you think those two weapons can't be compared TBH, if anything it allows people to grasp the particular nuances of either weapon if they're familiar with one of them. Eg. "H-3 inks better than Splattershot Pro".

Reactions: 1o2

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
@Skepticpunk

It was ultimately my reminder to anyone reading that it is anecdotal since I have to wonder if you have used the H-3 vs all kinds of opponents. The way you talked about it makes me assume you haven't.

After all, when I'm up against clueless people (which can be in any rank and level), my H-3 decimates them and I'm top in both score and kills. I wouldn't use that anecdote to argue that "THE H-3 IS AWESOME!" though since I'm taking other factors into account, like weaker opponents.

About the shots being fast enough, well it basically gets worse the further you are. I'll probably go and count the frames when I'm bothered. That does remind me...

Another weakness I didn't mention previously, albeit subjectively minor, is that you can't swim until all 3 shots are out. It's unlike the Splattershot Pro (or any other non-burst fire weapon) where you can choose to dive anytime after one shot has come out. Probably a small issue for some people but I can see it biting the *** of others.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
The forge gets somewhat inconsistent at its longest ranges. The H-3 does not.
In terms of damage drop off it's the same for both, they'll no longer be 3 shot kills, which is especially bad for the H-3. Sure it's 100% accurate still, but now you have to use atleast two burst to kill. Even with some missed shots, the Forge can probably kill just as fast at the least, and of course it's more likely to do so with it's continuous fire as an approaching enemy isn't likely to just walk straight towards you. Also this whole point isn't that significant as there's no reason these weapons can't move up to get into ideal range. It's not like the Jet Squelcher or L-3 Nozzlenose who only barely outrange certain weapons and thus should keep their targeting reticule clear to kite them.

Not to mention it's poor inking makes it relatively poor at deterring approaches.
You should probably be shooting at the enemy, not the ground. :p

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
In terms of damage drop off it's the same for both, they'll no longer be 3 shot kills, which is especially bad for the H-3. Sure it's 100% accurate still, but now you have to use atleast two burst to kill. Even with some missed shots, the Forge can probably kill just as fast at the least, and of course it's more likely to do so with it's continuous fire as an approaching enemy isn't likely to just walk straight towards you. Also this whole point isn't that significant as there's no reason these weapons can't move up to get into ideal range. It's not like the Jet Squelcher or L-3 Nozzlenose who only barely outrange certain weapons and thus should keep their targeting reticule clear to kite them.

You should probably be shooting at the enemy, not the ground. :p
Accuracy directly correlates with TTK drop off. The H-3 will always require the same three shots to kill, while the forge might require a little extra depending on RNG. Damage drop off isn't the problem. Also, about your response to @meleesplatter , better inking = more mobility. The H-3 has had better inking ever since the buff.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The H-3 still has burst fire instead of rapid fire, meaning when there's the gap in shooting Pro still easily covers as much turf as H-3 in one burst.
The H-3 does make a near-perfect line with each burst, so I guess one is better for instant inking (and hallway inking) while the other is better for spreading ink across a larger area, but it would require some actual testing

Reactions: 1o2

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Accuracy directly correlates with TTK drop off. The H-3 will always require the same three shots to kill, while the forge might require a little extra depending on RNG. Damage drop off isn't the problem. Also, about your response to @meleesplatter , better inking = more mobility. The H-3 has had better inking ever since the buff.
Damage drop off applies to all shooters, go in the test range and see for yourself. At peak range both guns deal around 90 damage from 3 shots. Again though this is a mute point, getting into optimal range is easy n safe enough. As for mobility, the turf spread is worse this is true, but still good enough for the Pro to get around, and is certainly quicker since you're not forced to fire 3 shots before you can take another action everytime you pull the trigger.

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
Damage drop off applies to all shooters, go in the test range and see for yourself. At peak range both guns deal around 90 damage from 3 shots. Again though this is a mute point, getting into optimal range is easy n safe enough. As for mobility, the turf spread is worse this is true, but still good enough for the Pro to get around, and is certainly quicker since you're not forced to fire 3 shots before you can take another action everytime you pull the trigger.
Still though, randomly missing because of RNG isn't the best for defensive play, assurance of shots means that the H-3 will have higher TTK in most scenarios anyway. Hitting four shots with max range requires a lot of RNG. Hence, the H-3 can play better at a distance, making it better suited for defensive play.

Edit: speaking from experience, you'd be surprised how fast the H-3 can get around the map. The burst fire doesn't limit its speed at all.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Still though, randomly missing because of RNG isn't the best for defensive play, assurance of shots means that the H-3 will have higher TTK in most scenarios anyway. Hitting four shots with max range requires a lot of RNG. Hence, the H-3 can play better at a distance, making it better suited for defensive play.

Edit: speaking from experience, you'd be surprised how fast the H-3 can get around the map. The burst fire doesn't limit its speed at all.
Sure if you wanna ignore the inherent drawbacks of burst fire. I guess as long as you believe getting consecutive shots to hit (especially at long range) most of the time is realistic then there's no getting through to ya. Also if you're playing defensively a.k.a. staying out of the enemys range then missing some shots is not a big deal and their already similar ttk is going to be less of a factor due to travel time.

And yes it physically does as explained already, but eh we've gone on long enough. We're clearly not convincing each other of anything and I doubt more back n forths will change that, so I'm out! :P

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
Sure if you wanna ignore the inherent drawbacks of burst fire. I guess as long as you believe getting consecutive shots to hit (especially at long range) most of the time is realistic then there's no getting through to ya. Also if you're playing defensively a.k.a. staying out of the enemys range then missing some shots is not a big deal and their already similar ttk is going to be less of a factor due to travel time.

And yes it physically does as explained already, but eh we've gone on long enough. We're clearly not convincing each other of anything and I doubt more back n forths will change that, so I'm out! :p
If you're going to (respectfully) agree to dissagree, then that's fine by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom