Hacker Warnings

BethySquiddy

Inkling
(I apologize, its seriously been FOREVER since I posted on here and I wasn’t QUITE sure of which thread to post this warning into...)

In all honesty this is not as serious as it once was, Due to the fact one of the hacker's profiles on miiverse is currently being investigated by Nintendo. But I figured this was STILL worth a warning due to the fact the other hacker's profile is still public (Last I checked) , meaning he is still out and about and they both could possibly come back.

Here is video evidence that their hacking has caused a console to actually brick up and crash so you don’t think this is just a rumour or crap like that.

Another user on a Splatoon group I'm involved with on FB said they encountered the exact same hackers and they both caused their save file to become corrupted, But take that with a grain of salt because I don’t have any SOLID proof their hacking CAN corrupt save files, but it can definitely cause your WiiU to brick up.

Anyway's, PLEASE be safe Squiddos !
Back up your save data and block them on miiverse so you can prevent yourself from battling with them in the future.

EDIT: The hack so far doesn’t actually BRICK your WiiU, Making it entirely unusable. It just causes it to crash and it can be re-started,
Keep in mind though, If your playing ranked battles for awhile and forget to save and your WiiU suddenly crashes and shuts off it may cause you to lose a rank.

Attachments

Last edited:

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
This is actually one of my biggest fears. I've been paranoid about seeing Octolings in any of my matches ever since I first heard about it. I'm blocking these two now.

Also do you happen to know if I can create a backup of my data by transferring it to an SD card, or does it have to be USB?

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Since you can run the Wii U in a PC emulator, it is open to all kinds of hacking unfortunately. Splatoon kind of depends on everyone being "fair" and following the game rules (each console) but on the PC emulator, you can hack the game to infinity and back. So it is no surprise some hackers wanted to see if they could bend all the rules around.

I often have teams leave while playing against myself because I've found interesting ways to use power-ups that seem like cheating.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I'll be sure to block them next time, and I'll make a new backup. I'm really glad there is solid evidence this time around. During the first big hacker scare, it wasn't known how real or widespread it was. Thanks for sharing!

This is actually one of my biggest fears. I've been paranoid about seeing Octolings in any of my matches ever since I first heard about it. I'm blocking these two now.

Also do you happen to know if I can create a backup of my data by transferring it to an SD card, or does it have to be USB?
The method most used is using a USB. I don't think an SD card would work, but I could be wrong.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
I'll be sure to block them next time, and I'll make a new backup. I'm really glad there is solid evidence this time around. During the first big hacker scare, it wasn't known how real or widespread it was. Thanks for sharing!

The method most used is using a USB. I don't think an SD card would work, but I could be wrong.
I'll give it a shot then. I have an empty 16GB SD card lying around so it'd be nice to use that rather than spend the money on a new USB.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
This has been causing a lot of panic and misinformation since it began getting spread around. I think there's a few things about this entire situation that needs to be cleared up. Firstly... No one's console has been bricked nor has anyone's data been corrupted. From what I know, it was said out of a moment of panic and has since been cleared up that the Wii U's affected are fine. The worst thing hack can do is freeze your Wii U and momentarily scare you. Right now, it isn't corrupting data but it is better to be safe than sorry. So do block these users even if their accounts have been taken down.

I don't know what hacks they really used but it looks like they were using map changing hacks. There's a reason that not many people know these hacks are possible. That reason is because they can be unstable - as we've seen. They crash Wii U's and cause them to freeze. We have every right to assume these morons did this with malicious intent. They had to have tried these hacks before which means they knew it froze the Wii U and still did it anyway. They may be kids but I hope Nintendo permanently bans them if not gives them a console ban for this. However... As far as I know, map changes cannot actually corrupt your data. I've never seen them corrupt anyone's data - not even a hacker's data. Anything is possible with hacking though so again, it's better to be safe than sorry.

It's just that a lot of panic and witch hunting has been going on since this first got posted on the LUTI server. Let's just calm down and try not to spread too much misinformation. ^.^"

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
My game crashed the same day, in the same way. I don't know if I was playing with one of them, but I was recording so I'll look it up tonight. I was looking at my pad and my roller ally was very far in enemy's half of Walleye, without any turf. At first I thought "he is doing some crazy stealth roller stuff", then when I looked again he was outside the map, then teleported inside and my game crashed. I don't know what it looked like as I was around my spawn at the time.

As it was said, I just needed to reboot the Wii U. I didn't notice any loss nor change after that.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
This unsafe octoling model hack has been going around for a while now, why hasn't it been patched yet so it doesn't crash on other systems? Wouldn't seem like it's that hard to patch...

BethySquiddy

Inkling
This has been causing a lot of panic and misinformation since it began getting spread around. I think there's a few things about this entire situation that needs to be cleared up. Firstly... No one's console has been bricked nor has anyone's data been corrupted. From what I know, it was said out of a moment of panic and has since been cleared up that the Wii U's affected are fine. The worst thing hack can do is freeze your Wii U and momentarily scare you. Right now, it isn't corrupting data but it is better to be safe than sorry. So do block these users even if their accounts have been taken down.

I don't know what hacks they really used but it looks like they were using map changing hacks. There's a reason that not many people know these hacks are possible. That reason is because they can be unstable - as we've seen. They crash Wii U's and cause them to freeze. We have every right to assume these morons did this with malicious intent. They had to have tried these hacks before which means they knew it froze the Wii U and still did it anyway. They may be kids but I hope Nintendo permanently bans them if not gives them a console ban for this. However... As far as I know, map changes cannot actually corrupt your data. I've never seen them corrupt anyone's data - not even a hacker's data. Anything is possible with hacking though so again, it's better to be safe than sorry.

It's just that a lot of panic and witch hunting has been going on since this first got posted on the LUTI server. Let's just calm down and try not to spread too much misinformation. ^.^"
Ohhh, My apologies! I thought it was actually BRICKING the WiiU's, Ill try and edit the information I provided. ^^;

BethySquiddy

Inkling
This unsafe octoling model hack has been going around for a while now, why hasn't it been patched yet so it doesn't crash on other systems? Wouldn't seem like it's that hard to patch...
That's what I'm thinking, You'd think Nintendo would immediately get on that..
I do remember hearing some sort of rumour where Nintendo actually made it a patch that if a Octoling model tries to play in turf war/ranked battles it immediatley turns their model into a inklings.
Is that possibly a thing or was that just a rumour?...

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The dangerous Octoling hack actually was patched quite a while ago. I believe it was patched just shortly after the hacker was found and banned. ^.^ Nintendo patched the game so that if someone is using an Octoling hack and they end up in your plaza, the game will automatically convert them to an Inkling Girl in the plaza to prevent the plaza from bricking itself. :) There's been another Octo hack found that is just a simple model swap and only shows to the hacker so it's not dangerous to anyone else~ ^.^"

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
If only Nintendo weren't so bad at preventing people from modding their systems, they make it so easy. :|

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I encountered a level 1 player with a Heavy Splatling Remix, which is fairly obviously a hacker. It just seemed like it was a person that wanted access to the new weapons without taking the time to play and level up, and it showed, because they went 0-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom