• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Hailing From Overwatch

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
Hello everyone. I'm a veteran Splatoon player since the WiiU days of yesteryear as well as a veteran Overwatch player. Now that I have the Switch I have already binge played Splatoon 2 for a while now and will continue to do so.

I often like a challenge and would rather not go the easy route for a win because that would just devalue the victories I get. I won't learn anything new if I just stick to easy mode. For me that means using low-tier or off-meta heroes like Hanzo in Overwatch during competitive. In Splatoon 2, that could be any current weapon that isn't easy to use.

And yes, I use the motion feature for aiming because I got use to that on the WiiU. The motion controls for the Switch feel almost on par with that of the mouse on PC so it's surprisingly smooth and accurate.

So why did I bother bringing up Overwatch? Because I want to get away from that toxic waste dump called the Overwatch Community. Over there, you are threatened with constant reporting by the players if you are caught using any off-meta hero in competitive despite Team South Korea proving beyond any shadow of a doubt on the Overwatch World Cup that ANY off-meta hero is perfectly viable and just needs a solid strategy and effective communication. And it's just getting worse because now rumors are abound that anyone caught using off-meta heroes in Overwatch might get automatically banned via an automated system that might easily be abused as explained by Forced Gaming. Not to mention the fact that OW players there have a completely distorted understanding of what teamwork actually means and seem to want everyone to follow the meta while ostracizing anyone who thinks or acts differently despite strong evidence to the contrary of what they believe is true.

Source:

Meanwhile, here in Splatoon 2, the competitive mode which you all refer to as Ranked Battles seems to be far more enjoyable and isn't often lopsided. In fact, it seems to me that the new 3-way-split-ranking system has helped with Ranked Battle matchmaking and I am enjoying it far more than what Overwatch has in comparison. At least here, for now, I don't see anyone flaming anyone for using an off-meta weapon or gear combo. Sure, some squids around here get quite salty but at least they're not abusive about it like the Overwatch community at large.

I am now playing Splatoon 2 Ranked Battles far more than in Overwatch Competitive because of this. It's quite sad and ironic at the same time. Just think about it for a moment. A game like Splatoon 2 having not only a far better competitive mode than that of Overwatch but also having a community that is far more mature than that of Overwatch.

So yeah, there you have it. A player who feels like an outcast coming to the land of the Inklings.

o7

Pupsik

Inkster Jr.
NNID
pupsik2479
Sadly i relate way to much with everything you say...
The overwatch community is by far one of the worst ones in existence.

I too bearly play it anymore (Ps 4 wich makes things even more terrible) so im extra happy for Splatoon!

I could go on and on but let me say this: Welcome to the World of Splatoon and enjoy your stay ;p

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
Sadly i relate way to much with everything you say...
The overwatch community is by far one of the worst ones in existence.

I too bearly play it anymore (Ps 4 wich makes things even more terrible) so im extra happy for Splatoon!

I could go on and on but let me say this: Welcome to the World of Splatoon and enjoy your stay ;p
Thanks for the welcome. It's really nice to see people here that are more welcoming.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Lol, well, welcome.

But as someone that is very active in both communities, don't judge it too soon. One benefit is not having comms readily available like we do in in Overwatch, but people most certainly get "toxic" in other ways. Throwers, everyone's favorite in leavers, still happen all the time, and I don't see that changing. It's no where near as bad because of the aforementioned voice comms, but it definitely can get pretty aggravating. Over time in this forum, I guarantee you'll see it at some point.

Just a forewarning.

It's still quite a bit more welcoming though lol.

SuddenlySteveTV

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5051-4697-1519
Hi, welcome! So far in Splatoon two, if you want to play off-meta than you can play any charger. I don't see a whole lot of chargers and buckets seem to have taken over. I would say that no voice chat is a good decision by nintendo. even in overwatch I think it hurts more than it helps.

Trav15

Inkling
NNID
Trav15
Switch Friend Code
SW-4989-3444-0003
Yes I play it on the PS4 and I don't experience really too much of that. Really only Widow, we're kinda okay with hanzos and stuff, KINDA. But I agree with what you are saying.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Oh man, tell me about it. I bought overwatch to fill the void Splatoon 1 left me when my gamepad broke, but it just wasnt the same. My favorite hero, Roadhog got nerfed into complete unusability, and my other favorites (reaper, junkrat, torbjorn, bastion) were all "off meta" and "troll picks" that there was pretty much nothing left for me there. This community is much more close-knit and friendly than Overwatch's imo. It isnt perfect, but Sploon's community is definitely one of the more hospitable communities for a competitive shooter. Once Splatoon 2 came out I jumped ship from overwatch. So much less depressing here.

tanzinyagrill

Inkling
It's mostly because 99% of off-meta things are still entirely effective and a good Inkbrush is ever more effective than a spammy Tri-Slosher. Weapons are sometimes outclassed (Octobrush > Inkbrush for example, but in sploot2 only by the sheer quality difference between their kits) or downright bad like the current sploot2 Dynamo Roller (rip) but the community at large is much more accepting of the 'anything can work' mentality.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
It's mostly because 99% of off-meta things are still entirely effective and a good Inkbrush is ever more effective than a spammy Tri-Slosher. Weapons are sometimes outclassed (Octobrush > Inkbrush for example, but in sploot2 only by the sheer quality difference between their kits) or downright bad like the current sploot2 Dynamo Roller (rip) but the community at large is much more accepting of the 'anything can work' mentality.
I like the 'anything can work' mentality. It spawns creativity by encouraging people to learn something new and radical rather than just sticking to the common and stale.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Wow~, I don't play Overwatch, but that is some capital BS right there. Glad you're here but, uh, my condolences to you and anyone else feeling put out by the Overwatch community.

Splatoon is no shiny beakon on a hill as the community has our own problems—I'm sure I have likely been a part of those problems—I can point to, but hopefully we can all do our part to keep it from becoming highly toxic.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
LOL Sorry to tell you OP but you are not alowed to use anything else but ELiter, Dyna Roller, Luna Blaster and Airbrush (but only in Turf Wars).

Splatoon has grown while youre gone, to bad!

Na it was a joke, play what you want. ;)

And yes this whole Meta Faggotery in Overwatch is hilerious sad, especially when people complain below Grand Master League and on Casual Modes.

Everyone is a esport Legend nowadays.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
While I sort of agree with you @Nuddlmaus--I find your (jokey) weapon choices questionable and trash tier!!!--please refrain from such derogatory language. That ain't cool.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
--please refrain from such derogatory language. That ain't cool.
I really have to ask now if you are serious about this, because english isnt my mother tongue so i wasnt able to pinpoint if you were sarcastic or serious.

If you are serious, i apologize for using such foul words.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Understood:

My response to your description of meta: Serious.

My response to your fake weapon tier list: Sarcastic.

Let me know if that clears it up for you. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom