Have you ever had a weapon you wished to master but you just can't grasp it?

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I practiced in single player with burst bombs (sorta by accident as I had forgotten I had them selected), but it actually really helped me figure out how/when to throw them. I always run one damage up because of the 99.9 three-shot. I do think the kicker is the burst bombs (and maybe getting better at leading my shots, I often get two or three hits in before they scoot out of range). I use both the carbon roller and the splash-neo as well as the vanilla splattershot; is there one that is best to practice with?
The neo splash is probably most reliant on burst bombs, but kinda for the opposite reason. The eliter 3k is reliant on burst bombs for the same reason as the cjs tho. But you should be able to get plenty of practice with the neo splash.

What do you mean? Like, always cover everything before rushing in?
Basically just shoot where you think an enemy is going to come out of hiding. That way when they do come out of hiding they might catch a few shots before they can get theirs off. it basically covers an option. they can't escape that way, but sometimes it'll get you kills. For some reason inklings like jumping into their enemies line of fire.

@MakesDream Like the squiffer, you can't really treat the bamboozler as a sniper. It doubles as a sniper, but more often than not, you're using it as a rifle. That means you have to be as mobile as a long range weapon (.96, dual squelcher) with it. Naturally you can use it as a reliable sniper, but don't just use it for just that. And because of how mobile you can be with it, splash walls are actually quite useful.
yeah I can see that. I still don't like walls after the enrf though.

Wiebenjijzeg

Full Squid
NNID
Syrnis
I don't plan on mastering it, but I am totally horrible with H3/L3's. They sound fun, and with good aim very deadly, but my accuracy is beyong bad, so I rarely kill anyone.
Because my accuracy is so low, I mained blasters, as I don't need to have a full 100% accuracy to hit others and can shoot around corners a little bit.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
I think it comes down to knowing your opponents range. I'm pretty sure it actually gets outranged by the long range shooters. But it outranges the mid range. So I guess play defensive with mid range and lower. but play aggressive with any longer range foes.
Ahh i see, yeah i haven't been paying much attention to the range of Mini Splatling...maybe i should do that huh? xD. Knowing when to be offensive would help a ton. Thanks for the advice!

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ahh i see, yeah i haven't been paying much attention to the range of Mini Splatling...maybe i should do that huh? xD. Knowing when to be offensive would help a ton. Thanks for the advice!
If I recall correctly its range is slightly better than the Splattershot/N-Zap/.52 Gal shooters, but I'm not sure if it ties with the L-3 Nozzlenose o_O

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
If I recall correctly its range is slightly better than the Splattershot/N-Zap/.52 Gal shooters, but I'm not sure if it ties with the L-3 Nozzlenose o_O
Yup they're the same, as is the Slosher while we're at it. It's not too significant compared to the mid-low range shooters so staying out of their range can be difficult, but a good tactic anytime you know your weapon outranges theirs is to only shoot while your targeting reticle is clear since weapons can hit past their ideal range, so you'll know for a fact that you can hit them but they can't hit you.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've been wanting to get good with the Splatterscope for a while, but my terrible aim gets in the way. At first I thought I'd do much better if I used motion controls for it, but my success rate with those was about the same as with sticks.

So I went back to using sticks and got the original Splat Charger, thinking "Perhaps having a wider viewfield will help prevent me from getting splatted so easily." It also didn't help much, as I'd underestimate my distance from opponents and get splatted whilst charging up.

When I gave the matter some thought, I realized that part of the difficulty I had using the Charger was that, unlike most sniping weapons, it has to be, well, charged up before it can do any real damage. So then I thought, "Perhaps the Squiffers will help ease me into using Chargers in general. After all, it's got a shorter charge time with enough power to still one-shot, so it ought work like a dream, right?" Nope; any time I use it I get immediately crushed the worst I've even been. I don't think I've even killed anybody with it yet.

Obviously, trying to ease myself into using the Splatterscope hasn't done a thing. Perhaps I'll do much better if I skip these self-imposed tutorials and just use the damn thing.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Chargers for me. I suck at aiming and every time I want to get a kill, someone splats me anyway. Same for other sniper weapons.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I've been wanting to get good with the Splatterscope for a while, but my terrible aim gets in the way. At first I thought I'd do much better if I used motion controls for it, but my success rate with those was about the same as with sticks.

So I went back to using sticks and got the original Splat Charger, thinking "Perhaps having a wider viewfield will help prevent me from getting splatted so easily." It also didn't help much, as I'd underestimate my distance from opponents and get splatted whilst charging up.

When I gave the matter some thought, I realized that part of the difficulty I had using the Charger was that, unlike most sniping weapons, it has to be, well, charged up before it can do any real damage. So then I thought, "Perhaps the Squiffers will help ease me into using Chargers in general. After all, it's got a shorter charge time with enough power to still one-shot, so it ought work like a dream, right?" Nope; any time I use it I get immediately crushed the worst I've even been. I don't think I've even killed anybody with it yet.

Obviously, trying to ease myself into using the Splatterscope hasn't done a thing. Perhaps I'll do much better if I skip these self-imposed tutorials and just use the damn thing.
The squiffer isn't really the same type of charger as the splatterscope. It is more in the long-range shooter class than the charger class (although not technically). The squiffer wants to be mobile, where as the splatterscope wants to be more stationary. So I'm not sure getting good with the squiffer would help getting good with the splatterscope (past some fundamentals perhaps). I'd recommend you watch DUDE's analysis, as it has some really great tips:

Also, don't be afraid to just use the weapon. My buddy picked it up because he wanted to learn it and used it even though he was terrible at the beginning. He's gotten much better now just because he refused to change to a different weapon.

Scones

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shcones
For me it's the Octobrush and I don't know why. I love the standard Inkbrush and it is now my main weapon in Turf Wars. I have even gotten good enough to make the Inkbrush usable on maps that are horrible for it such as Moray and Hammerhead. Furthermore, the Krakon Roller is my favorite roller and probably my second best weapon for ranked. I would think that the Octobrush is a marriage between those two weapons but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. It is a little more mobile than the Krakon roller but at a significantly shorter kill range. It just feels weak in my hands but I have seen some people absolutely crush with it. It is really nice for brushing a path for a rainmaker but I can't consider myself good with this weapon.

Also I have a suggestion for those wanting to git gud with the Bamboozler. I believe with enough Damage Up you can make a charged shot do 99.9 damage. While this isn't enough to kill on its own ANY additional damage taken will get a splat. Try shooting your first shot above your enemy. This will trap them in your ink and do ink damage, allowing a charged shot to finish them off. I really think this weapon shines when you use teamwork though. If your teammates are chucking burst bombs around the Bamboozler is an absolute killing machine.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
The squiffer isn't really the same type of charger as the splatterscope. It is more in the long-range shooter class than the charger class (although not technically). The squiffer wants to be mobile, where as the splatterscope wants to be more stationary. So I'm not sure getting good with the squiffer would help getting good with the splatterscope (past some fundamentals perhaps).
The Splat Charger/Splatterscope is more of the netrual charger that can either wander or sit.

Though there are even players who wander with E-Liters! White Hawke is one example.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
The Splat Charger/Splatterscope is more of the netrual charger that can either wander or sit.

Though there are even players who wander with E-Liters! White Hawke is one example.
Yeah, I kinda wanted to add "(but not as much as the e-liter)" after I said they like to sit, but I felt it was a bit of a digression. Watching both DUDE and LSDJ play the splatterscope can be really helpful and they re-position quite often.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
*video goes here*

Also, don't be afraid to just use the weapon. My buddy picked it up because he wanted to learn it and used it even though he was terrible at the beginning. He's gotten much better now just because he refused to change to a different weapon.
That guy's advice was very; certainly better than whatever I was trying to do. Now to work on getting those abilities... I think I have gear with both somewhere.
I have a bad habit of ditching any weapon for a while if I can't use it right. The Splatterscope is the most notable because of a long-standing desire to be a decent sniper in any shooter game (blame my friends for that one). You're right, I'd be wise to just up and get to splattin'—thanks for all of that!

Axeliira

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Axeliira
The E-Liters for me. Tried turf wars with it a few times and I keep getting splatted on the spot as I try to hide. Maybe that's something I need to practice on. I'm a huge fan of long-range weaponry but these kinds are not doing it for me.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
Carbon Roller
I was in a squad with a few guys who didn't mind me testing out weapons and I was easily going 2/12. And the times I was going positive was not due to the weapon. It was because I'd stopped trying to get splats with it and focused solely on Inkzooka.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
The default Splat Charger/Splatterscope. I usually like "in the middle" weapons, but this just doesn't work for me. :/
The H3 Nozzlenoses are probably second. I can do very well with either L3 Nozzlenose in every mode, but the H3 just seems... meh. It can work, but I have no idea how to make it work.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Yeah, I kinda wanted to add "(but not as much as the e-liter)" after I said they like to sit, but I felt it was a bit of a digression. Watching both DUDE and LSDJ play the splatterscope can be really helpful and they re-position quite often.
Yeah, Morary towers is a good example of where you can tell the good E-Liters from the bad E-Liters.

Bad E-liters will pick a spot and shoot from it. Good E-Liters will shift themselves along the snipe area constantly to make sure no one can easily get a fix on where they are sniping from.

The E-Liters for me. Tried turf wars with it a few times and I keep getting splatted on the spot as I try to hide. Maybe that's something I need to practice on. I'm a huge fan of long-range weaponry but these kinds are not doing it for me.
I recommend starting out with the Splat Charger if you want to get good with chargers. The Bamboozler, Squiffer, and E-Liter all have quirks that make them harder to use if you haven't adjust to chargers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom