• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Having way too much trouble in Splatzones

OmniXVII

Inkling
I'm running into the same issue. Right now I'm really partial to the Splattershot pro because of its range and decent rate and DMG.

I'm ranked B (about 30, was higher) right now. Are there any suggestions for a role a player can be based on the Pro? It seems like an anchor could be a good role.

Do you guys suggest any other weapons?
I feel like the splattershot pro is pretty decent as a long range sentry. Find yourself a nice spot on a box or highground and bully shorter range weapons from advancing. Of course all that is moot if they have a good charger.

BluEyes

Senior Squid
i have to say i am playing right now ... i am at C+ 25 points .... few games ago i was at 92 then the people who cant grasp the idea of a splatzone start to play these idiots just drag descent players down ... thats why C+ and B- are hell at the moment
Heya! i think we played together just now. saw your splatoon nick. Is it vicious too? Mines blueyes.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
I just got done playing with the custom jet squelcher on the two current maps in rotation, saltspray and blackbelly. I played 3 matches, and I won two. Both the ones that I won were on saltspray, while I lost in overtime by 20 points on blackbelly. The custom jet squelcher seems to be much more limited than the default one on blackbelly. In order to use the kraken I must give up my position and it takes valuable time to get back up there. I went 8 and 0 that match and held my spot the entire time, but my team couldn't keep up and in the end we lost. Throwing the bombs over the wall is a nice touch, but hardly as useful as having the splash wall and inkstrike.

With the inkstrike available I found I had the ability to capture both points simply by camping that one spot. Without the inkstrike there wasn't as much I could do in that war of attrition but hold my ground and hope my team could fare without the cover. On saltspray, the kraken can do a good job of clearing the zone of enemies, but that comes at the expense of both the inkstrike and splash wall, both of which are very useful on that map. In the end I want to favor the regular jet squelcher for these two maps as well, because just like before the custom one holds up decent on one map but is limited on the other, while the basic one excels on one and does decent on the other.

If you want to be an anchor @Zonderion , the splattershot pro will certainly work for that role, but it has less range than both the chargeshots and jet squelchers, so it can be outmatched in certain areas. The splat bombs it comes with aren't particulary useful for camping in my opinion either, but that's more just my playstyle. The inkstrike is incredibly useful however, so in the end the splattershot pro will work pretty well for anchoring. It also can work decent for approaching too since it is reasonably strong.

Personally, I prefer the jet squelcher for that role, as you can probably see by this point lol. I like the eliter 3k as well, just because it can outrange everything else in the game. I think it's a very limited weapon on some maps though, which makes it harder to recommend. The jet squelcher is balanced enough to do well on pretty much every map in my experience, and it has the tools to really lock down areas and keep out enemies. So feel free to give it a try if you're looking for new weapons to try out.

Zonderion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zonderion
I just got done playing with the custom jet squelcher on the two current maps in rotation, saltspray and blackbelly. I played 3 matches, and I won two. Both the ones that I won were on saltspray, while I lost in overtime by 20 points on blackbelly. The custom jet squelcher seems to be much more limited than the default one on blackbelly. In order to use the kraken I must give up my position and it takes valuable time to get back up there. I went 8 and 0 that match and held my spot the entire time, but my team couldn't keep up and in the end we lost. Throwing the bombs over the wall is a nice touch, but hardly as useful as having the splash wall and inkstrike.

With the inkstrike available I found I had the ability to capture both points simply by camping that one spot. Without the inkstrike there wasn't as much I could do in that war of attrition but hold my ground and hope my team could fare without the cover. On saltspray, the kraken can do a good job of clearing the zone of enemies, but that comes at the expense of both the inkstrike and splash wall, both of which are very useful on that map. In the end I want to favor the regular jet squelcher for these two maps as well, because just like before the custom one holds up decent on one map but is limited on the other, while the basic one excels on one and does decent on the other.

If you want to be an anchor @Zonderion , the splattershot pro will certainly work for that role, but it has less range than both the chargeshots and jet squelchers, so it can be outmatched in certain areas. The splat bombs it comes with aren't particulary useful for camping in my opinion either, but that's more just my playstyle. The inkstrike is incredibly useful however, so in the end the splattershot pro will work pretty well for anchoring. It also can work decent for approaching too since it is reasonably strong.

Personally, I prefer the jet squelcher for that role, as you can probably see by this point lol. I like the eliter 3k as well, just because it can outrange everything else in the game. I think it's a very limited weapon on some maps though, which makes it harder to recommend. The jet squelcher is balanced enough to do well on pretty much every map in my experience, and it has the tools to really lock down areas and keep out enemies. So feel free to give it a try if you're looking for new weapons to try out.
Thanks for the info! I like the splat bombs because of the "grenade bowling" (dont know the official term for it) as it does allow me to better handle close up encounters. I tend I die the most to areosprays. I am looking to get some rockenburgs to help movement in enemy ink (which seems like a good idea?) To help me escape if I do play the anchor role.

I am definitely going to give the squelcher a try today!

Edit: I love the chargers, but I tend to find a team that can't provide me any support, I end up in last place very quickly.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
Thanks for the info! I like the splat bombs because of the "grenade bowling" (dont know the official term for it) as it does allow me to better handle close up encounters. I tend I die the most to areosprays. I am looking to get some rockenburgs to help movement in enemy ink (which seems like a good idea?) To help me escape if I do play the anchor role.

I am definitely going to give the squelcher a try today!

Edit: I love the chargers, but I tend to find a team that can't provide me any support, I end up in last place very quickly.
If you mean the blue moto boots, they really do help out, I always use them in ranked because of the ink resistance. As an anchor that ability is indeed useful because it lets you evacuate your camping spot when things get tense more consistently. I used to use cold blooded too, because my shirt that had that gave me sub ink usage down, but I ended up getting a better roll on another shirt so I use that now. I use the bike helmet for the ink conservation, since mine has both ink recharge up and primary weapon ink usage down. A good combo with the jet squelcher setup that uses up ink quick and needs to lay down constant fire to support teammates.

I think it's interesting that you die most often to aerosprays, you should be able to outrange them pretty well with the splattershot pro, although I haven't used it much in ranked so I'm not entirely sure how it'd go. I always stick to the highground though, so I'm generally out the reach of those guys unless they get right up at me, which doesn't happen often due to teammates covering me/ me getting them before they can get close.

As far as chargers go, they're tricky business. When I want to just use a charger, I'll go with the kelp splatterscope because it has sprinklers, and a little more range than most weapons. Sprinkers are useful to help keep the area around you painted so that enemies can't rush you as well. In general if you're using a ranged weapon, you always want to paint all the turf near you just so enemies have to shoot that before you. If done right you can simply take them out while they're trying to paint the turf. Outranging the enemy is always a great feeling, once you know the spots to stick to keep away from rollers and splattershot jrs.

Zonderion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zonderion
If you mean the blue moto boots, they really do help out, I always use them in ranked because of the ink resistance. As an anchor that ability is indeed useful because it lets you evacuate your camping spot when things get tense more consistently. I used to use cold blooded too, because my shirt that had that gave me sub ink usage down, but I ended up getting a better roll on another shirt so I use that now. I use the bike helmet for the ink conservation, since mine has both ink recharge up and primary weapon ink usage down. A good combo with the jet squelcher setup that uses up ink quick and needs to lay down constant fire to support teammates.

I think it's interesting that you die most often to aerosprays, you should be able to outrange them pretty well with the splattershot pro, although I haven't used it much in ranked so I'm not entirely sure how it'd go. I always stick to the highground though, so I'm generally out the reach of those guys unless they get right up at me, which doesn't happen often due to teammates covering me/ me getting them before they can get close.

As far as chargers go, they're tricky business. When I want to just use a charger, I'll go with the kelp splatterscope because it has sprinklers, and a little more range than most weapons. Sprinkers are useful to help keep the area around you painted so that enemies can't rush you as well. In general if you're using a ranged weapon, you always want to paint all the turf near you just so enemies have to shoot that before you. If done right you can simply take them out while they're trying to paint the turf. Outranging the enemy is always a great feeling, once you know the spots to stick to keep away from rollers and splattershot jrs.
Yeah, I believe those are the boots.

I think the main reason I tend to die to areosprays is because I've been playing the pro differently (I won't say wrong, because it may not be). I've been somewhat rushing in, but then trying to back off and kill with the range, but it usually turns out that I get stuck in ink, or I misjudge how close they need to be to splat me.

I think the anchor role may be better suited to my ability.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
Yeah, I believe those are the boots.

I think the main reason I tend to die to areosprays is because I've been playing the pro differently (I won't say wrong, because it may not be). I've been somewhat rushing in, but then trying to back off and kill with the range, but it usually turns out that I get stuck in ink, or I misjudge how close they need to be to splat me.

I think the anchor role may be better suited to my ability.
I went ahead and added your Nintendo ID, I'll be playing some turf war for the next 30 minutes or so. I'll be wearing the blue moto boots, so if you want to try to join me, you can order them off of me in the lobby afterward. My mii name is shoegpb by the way.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Splat Zones really isn't worth it, it's just teammate luck.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
Splat Zones really isn't worth it, it's just teammate luck.
I respectfully disagree. I think that luck is only a minor factor in splat zones, especially once you get out of the lower rung of players in the C range. I've found that a majority of the time I have good teammates, if I'm holding a point and playing support they will often jump to me and get the zone from there. It just seems to me that too few players are willing to play the support role and always want to be in the heat of the moment.

Zonderion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zonderion
I respectfully disagree. I think that luck is only a minor factor in splat zones, especially once you get out of the lower rung of players in the C range. I've found that a majority of the time I have good teammates, if I'm holding a point and playing support they will often jump to me and get the zone from there. It just seems to me that too few players are willing to play the support role and always want to be in the heat of the moment.
I think there is a lot of luck. I've been on a losing streak so to say. Won about 4 out of 16 tonight. Some of those I was trying to get use a different weapon and I probably cost my team the win, but others I was literally 8 kills and 3 deaths and my teammates were 0/4, 0/5 0/5. Not having the ability to talk makes it more based on luck trying to determine who plays what roles.
so, like in turf wars?
Nope, not the same. After playing hours of Splat zone, I went back to turf wars for a little bit of relaxing game play. I was able to carry some of my teams to victory with scores of 1300+, even one where we had a player drop at the beginning so it was 3 vs 4.

However, when it comes to splat zones, I just can't seem to handle the B, B+ level with out good support from other teammates.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
Dunno how you guys see that mode but the ''normal mode'' alias ''ink the turf'' is more enjoyable than the ranked gameplay...it's kinda campy and stressful compared to the normal one.
honestly I'm just happy there is two different modes for ranked and non ranked.
It gives players more incentive to play both which is nice, not all online games with ranked have that

also as you play ranked no matter your weapons you can really build tactics to stop the "campy" players. stress is more of a get used to it kinda thing, but I understand why because most people play to relax

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
I think there is a lot of luck. I've been on a losing streak so to say. Won about 4 out of 16 tonight. Some of those I was trying to get use a different weapon and I probably cost my team the win, but others I was literally 8 kills and 3 deaths and my teammates were 0/4, 0/5 0/5. Not having the ability to talk makes it more based on luck trying to determine who plays what roles.

Nope, not the same. After playing hours of Splat zone, I went back to turf wars for a little bit of relaxing game play. I was able to carry some of my teams to victory with scores of 1300+, even one where we had a player drop at the beginning so it was 3 vs 4.

However, when it comes to splat zones, I just can't seem to handle the B, B+ level with out good support from other teammates.
I get where you're coming from, the lack of communication can definitely be a limiting factor. I can believe that I've been getting lucky so far with my matches, I think the longest losing streak I've had is 4 matches in a row, and that caused me to rank down from B to B-. I'm a B+ right now and that was the only time I ranked down. So maybe I'm just getting the good luck here, but I don't think that's completely true. Although I do remember one particularly bad player with a B- rank that used the paintbrush and held their team back every time.

Anyway, I've played against teams that were flattened by my team, and then been placed with those exact enemies the next match and won against my previous team. My philosophy is never to blame the teammates, so I'll always be biased against the luck of the draw argument, but if all your teammates are going super negative like you said and you're the only one going positive, then something clearly went wrong that match.

I tend to try to step back and figure out what I did wrong when I lose a match, and usually I can come up with a few alternate ideas that would've given me a better shot at winning. A good example I have from today is when I played blackbelly skatepark with the custom jet squelcher. I was holding up my spot great and in the end I went 12-2 or something along those lines, but my team ended up losing. What was happening is that the enemy had chargeshots camping out my team and getting them before they could get anywhere. I was in a position to flank and take out those chargeshots, but I never did. Had I tried to flush them out with the kraken or something, I probably could've won, it was a pretty close match in the end, I believe the enemy team won in overtime. I had my kraken charged the entire time but never really saw a good opportunity to use it and never did. So I figure the wasted potential of me not using that special is what cost me the match.

In the end, I agree with your point about players struggling to figure out what roles to play without voice chat. In turf war I often watch teammates switch indecisively between paths waiting to see what other players will do, and that ends up costing precious time that could be spent painting efficiently. It wouldn't be hard for nintendo to map something like "Going defense" or "going offense" on the left and right of the d-pad either. From my experience though, even if a team is struggling to find its roles, playing defensively will generally produce better results than going on offense. Maybe it's because I'm in the minority with that mindset and I balance out my teams with it, I can't know for sure just by speculating, so I'm going to try playing around with all sorts of weapons and roles in splat zones tomorrow.

So yeah, I hope this post didn't come off as pretentious or anything, and best of luck in your future splat zones matches guys. Maybe we'll all be on the same team one time and really give some guys the ol' what for :)

aguyyouknow

Inkling
NNID
desucrator
Do you think that Tenacity is worth considering as an anchor? I'm usually a highly aggressive support-y player (Custom SSJ forever. I've been moving towards the Dual Squelcher over the last few days, though. It's a lot of fun), but I can imagine that since the anchor wants to stay alive as much as possible, tenacity seems like it would get a lot of use, since you end up being alive while your teammates are respawning fairly often. I suppose it depends on if the special you have is worth it, though?

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
Do you think that Tenacity is worth considering as an anchor? I'm usually a highly aggressive support-y player (Custom SSJ forever. I've been moving towards the Dual Squelcher over the last few days, though. It's a lot of fun), but I can imagine that since the anchor wants to stay alive as much as possible, tenacity seems like it would get a lot of use, since you end up being alive while your teammates are respawning fairly often. I suppose it depends on if the special you have is worth it, though?
I can see tenacity being extremely useful with the inkstrike special if you're playing the anchor role well, because ink strikes can neutralize a zone all on their own, which gives you a ton of power as a defensive player. I actually started out with the dual squelcher too, and I loved the range of it. I eventually moved on to the jet squelcher just because it has even more range, and I think it's great. It has ink strike too, which would pair good with tenacity if you want to try that out. I think I'll give that a shot tomorrow too. I just need to reroll the stats on my gas mask because I don't like the abilities it has.

Tenacity can totally be special dependent though. If you have echo-locator I don't think having tenacity will really give you much of an edge, for example. But with most specials I can see it being good. I don't know exactly how much it boosts special charge by, or how often I'm the only one alive on my team, so it may be a lot more situational than it seems.

aguyyouknow

Inkling
NNID
desucrator
I can see tenacity being extremely useful with the inkstrike special if you're playing the anchor role well, because ink strikes can neutralize a zone all on their own, which gives you a ton of power as a defensive player. I actually started out with the dual squelcher too, and I loved the range of it. I eventually moved on to the jet squelcher just because it has even more range, and I think it's great. It has ink strike too, which would pair good with tenacity if you want to try that out. I think I'll give that a shot tomorrow too. I just need to reroll the stats on my gas mask because I don't like the abilities it has.

Tenacity can totally be special dependent though. If you have echo-locator I don't think having tenacity will really give you much of an edge, for example. But with most specials I can see it being good. I don't know exactly how much it boosts special charge by, or how often I'm the only one alive on my team, so it may be a lot more situational than it seems.
I wouldn't discount Echolocator (I get kills aaaaaaall the time because I echo and murder enemies that try to hide in ink) as an important to get special, but I agree that it doesn't really do much for the purposes of tenacity. What would you probably suggest for head gear main with echo, though? I don't really think that any of the headgear only options besides tenacity are worth it, but I'm not really sure about any of the stat buffs either...

Kimmorz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kimmorz
Though I just barely made it to rank C, here's what I've learned in my many ranked battles, both winning and losing.

Stick to weapons you are familiar with. I am most comfortable using rollers, and though I do pretty great with the shooter and charger in the single player campaign mode, I'm terrible when it comes to online play. So I stick to my rollers in ranked, no matter what. Maybe once I practice with other weapon types in Turf Wars, I'll feel more comfortable trying different weapons in ranked.

I think the other biggest thing you should know when it comes to going into ranked battles is know which maps you do well in, and which you don't. I've realized that I'm terrible at Arowana Mall when it comes to ranked battles. Using a roller is just not very ideal for that map, and I usually just get brutally owned. So whenever that map is one of the ranked maps, I avoid playing so I don't end up in what I know will be a losing match for myself. Try to stick to maps you know you do well on, and that should help increase your chances of winning. The better you do in a ranked battle, the better your team does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom