• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Heavy Splatling: Analysis and Thoughts

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
@Avatar K don't quint-post, it clutters the entire thread. Pressing the reply button while you're editing an existing reply post put the quote in after your response mods consolidate this

Inkster Jr.
@Avatar K don't quint-post, it clutters the entire thread. Pressing the reply button while you're editing an existing reply post put the quote in after your response mods consolidate this
I did not know that. Thank you.

Ah, I see. Thanks, mate.
Now that I have the loadout down (at least theoretically), I have a new question:
How do you go on offense with this weapon? I can defend well enough, especially when I get the height advantage, but I'm not sure what to do when my team gets pushed out of center and we have to push back. This has happened before, and I feel like I can't do much when it does, so any advice would be nice.
The heavy splatling typically should not be pushing alone. It usually provides supporting fire to a push led by teammates, zoning or splatting enemies or inking ground from afar.

Last edited:

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I am not sure swim speed up is very beneficial because the heavily splatling does not swim as much. However, that ability allows the heavy splatling to escape better. I think damage up would be better than defense up because the heavy splatling should not be veery close to enemy inklings.
most if not all weapons don't do their max/consistent damage when at their max range, and def up makes that damage even less.

Inkster Jr.
most if not all weapons don't do their max/consistent damage when at their max range, and def up makes that damage even less.
If a player will not be taking much damage, then they should be focussing on things besides defense.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I am not sure swim speed up is very beneficial because the heavily splatling does not swim as much. However, that ability allows the heavy splatling to escape better. I think damage up would be better than defense up because the heavy splatling should not be veery close to enemy inklings.
3 main Defense Ups do make the Heavy Splatling require an extra shot to splat, so I'd say equip it with at least 2 Damage Up subs or at least 1 main

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
I personally run Cold Blooded, Ink Saver Main, and Special Charge Up when I play a Splatling. The gear I have allows me to have those abilities (one Cold Blooded, 3 Ink Saver Main main abilities, 1 Special Charge Up main, 1 special charge Up sub ability, and 2 respawn up sub abilities), and since Cold Blooded allows me to remain hidden whilst charging, Ink Saver Main allows me to charge up more, and Special Charge Up allows me to shoot more Ink Strikes, I like running that build. I think that Ink Recovery Up may be better on the Splatling, though, due to how much it chews through ink, but I don't really have good gear for Ink Recovery Up.

Inkster Jr.
3 main Defense Ups do make the Heavy Splatling require an extra shot to splat, so I'd say equip it with at least 2 Damage Up subs or at least 1 main
I was talking about using defense up on the heavy splatling. Using defense up against it would be fine.

My ideal heavy splatling abilities includes ink saver (main), to allow the weapon to shoot more, even though it does not really use that much ink and damage up, to splat enemies faster. However, unlike some weapons, especially long range ones, the heavy splatling is not heavily dependent on abilities, such as ink saver main on the charger weapons or damage up, ninja squid, and defense up on all the blasters but the rapid blaster (deco).

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I was talking about using defense up on the heavy splatling. Using defense up against it would be fine.

My ideal heavy splatling abilities includes ink saver (main), to allow the weapon to shoot more, even though it does not really use that much ink and damage up, to splat enemies faster. However, unlike some weapons, especially long range ones, the heavy splatling is not heavily dependent on abilities, such as ink saver main on the charger weapons or damage up, ninja squid, and defense up on all the blasters but the rapid blaster (deco).
Well, having some Defense Ups is helpful in almost any case (partly because you never know when you'll run into .52 Gals and the like)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Don't think it's worth it to run damage ups specifically to counter 3x defense up as that's a pretty uncommon sight but that's just me. If you're gonna do that you could use enough to cap it's damage per shot at 33.3, that way if an enemy with no defense up has any damage whatsoever it kills as fast as the Sploosh o matic when it doesn't miss every other shot.

I really love run speed on this thing as having a long range weapon which you can actually move with while shooting is pretty great. Oh and 1 main and two subs of Ink Saver Main allows two fully charged burst after throwing a Splash Wall from a full tank so that's cool too. I'm not a fan of the Inkstrike though, so I'll probably switch to the version with the Kraken when it releases and use Special Charge ups.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Don't think it's worth it to run damage ups specifically to counter 3x defense up as that's a pretty uncommon sight but that's just me. If you're gonna do that you could use enough to cap it's damage per shot at 33.3, that way if an enemy with no defense up has any damage whatsoever it kills as fast as the Sploosh o matic when it doesn't miss every other shot.
I guess I'm just getting the short end of the stick, then. I feel like 1/3 enemies I fight I have to hit 5 times (I do count hit sounds), and I use 2 Damage Up subs.

Inkster Jr.
Do you know the damage per hit of the heavy splatling? All its stats would be nice as well.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Do you know the damage per hit of the heavy splatling? All its stats would be nice as well.
It's the same as the Dual Squelcher, but I don't remember the exact number (accordint to Inkipedia it should be 28). Aside of that, it shoots as fast as an Aerospray and with full charge it has the range of the Jet Squelcher

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
It's the same as the Dual Squelcher, but I don't remember the exact number (accordint to Inkipedia it should be 28). Aside of that, it shoots as fast as an Aerospray and with full charge it has the range of the Jet Squelcher
I actually don't think charging affects its range, unlike how it does with Chargers. The rest of the information, though, I agree with.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I actually don't think charging affects its range, unlike how it does with Chargers. The rest of the information, though, I agree with.
Actually it does, although I'm not sure if it requires the full charge to reach its max. If you tap the trigger to fire one bullet it won't go very far, but if you charge the shots it'll travel a larger distance

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
As a Brush user, Splatling Gunners need to be aware of their unguarded flank, in case of ambush. I've taken out a couple of Splatlings by blindsiding them while they were firing at my teammates.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
No, it does affect the range up to a point. You need one full ring of charge to reach full range; it's only the second ring of charge that doesn't affect it.

Inkster Jr.
No, it does affect the range up to a point. You need one full ring of charge to reach full range; it's only the second ring of charge that doesn't affect it.
A post I saw agreed with you, but I cannot say for sure.

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
I guess tomorrow's project for me will be testing this. I'll have a video of this posted here tomorrow on it.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I guess tomorrow's project for me will be testing this. I'll have a video of this posted here tomorrow on it.
I tried it out, but I'm not quite sure if it does reach its max range with one ring. The shot spread is too wide to get a proper measurement, but using the reticle as a fixed point it should only require one ring

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
Just tested it, embedding the video here.
As I point out in the video, Range DOES ink-rease with range, from about three little lines (meters? yards?) with an uncharged shot to six lines on a full charge.
Also, the Damage on a single shot is 28. Just so you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom