Heavy Splattling Deco: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I tried this weapon out last night, and had a relatively interesting experience with it. Although I do agree that the Splash Walls and the Inkstrike of the normal variant fit the main weapon of the Heavy Splattling more, I do see the Point Sensors and Kraken working for those who can work the main weapon into a more offensive playstyle. This will therefore be a much harder weapon to master, since the offensive route does not naturally lend itself to the majn weapon, but it can work when done right, especially on certain maps. These maps best for the weapon require both range and close-quarters combat, such as Camp Triggerfish, Saltspray Rig, and Flounder Heights. Stages with a lot of grates would not be good for this weapon considering how good the main is at height advantages, and the Kraken slips right through the grate. Point Sensors are excellent for this weapon, however, allowed my teamates to pick off ambushes and for me to pinpoint my targets. The Kraken, however, is where I highly recommend the most effort taken.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Bomb Range Up allows you to spot enemies from further away with the Point Sensor.

Special Duration Up will make your Krakens last longer. If using Krakens, avoid Ninja Squid and stack Swim Speed Up because you WANT to make sure enemies have a harder time evading your grasp when you unleash the Kraken.

Ink Saver Main and Ink Recharge Up are great buddies with such a ink-thirsty weapon.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Bomb Range Up allows you to spot enemies from further away with the Point Sensor.

Special Duration Up will make your Krakens last longer. If using Krakens, avoid Ninja Squid and stack Swim Speed Up because you WANT to make sure enemies have a harder time evading your grasp when you unleash the Kraken.

Ink Saver Main and Ink Recharge Up are great buddies with such a ink-thirsty weapon.
Huh. This is what I would personally say for abilities:

Stackable:
Bomb Range Up
Special Duration Up
Defense Up
Ink Saver (Main)

Main-Exclusive:
Tenacity
Stealth Jump
Ink Resistance Up
Haunt

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I've been playing with this weapon for a bit recently and I've been really liking the weapon, even more then the vanilla version.

I know that the Splash Wall is a amazing sub and is one of the main reasons why many prefer it over the Deco version, but I never had much of an issue playing without it (might be because I don't really use weapons with Splash Walls that much) and of course I find :kraken: much more useful in most situations then :inkstrike: imo.

The weapon itself has a good enough range for me to zone out most weapons (of course I still have issues with chargers... mainly E-Liters, but I can actually contest chargers because of the good range the splatling has), and I have the additional defense/utility from the :pointsensor: so I can know where they are coming from so I won't get flanked or my teammates can take them out before they can even get close to me (or I can just take them out more easily since they are marked). I just find the sub really handy in most cases on this weapon and it's really cheap in terms of ink cost compared to other subs so I can easily spam them.

The :kraken: is just a solid special, it generally good in pretty much all gamemodes and most maps and of course it can be used as a "panic button" in sticky situations.

For builds, it's pretty much the same thing I use for the Mini Splatling:

- :ability_runspeed: is generally good on Splatling (not sure for the Hydra though) and it helps me win engagements even in close range.
- :ability_inkrecovery: is also an ability that's generally good for pretty much any weapon and it allows me to spam :pointsensor: more easily.
- :ability_bombrange: allows me to mark targets over a far distance, so I find it pretty necessary for a far range weapon like the Splatling.

Overall, I really like the weapon. It's really fun to use, to bad not many use splatlings in ranked. lol

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
- :ability_runspeed: is generally good on Splatling (not sure for the Hydra though) and it helps me win engagements even in close range.
For reference, don't use Run Speed Ups for the Hydra Splatlings. The range on those is all you need. It is quite helpful on the normal and Mini versions though, especially this version so it can help you get in close with a readied Kraken.

Rael

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rael303
I do personally run a :ability_specialsaver: main on this weapon as I think having Kraken ready most of the time can save your @ss from people jumping in your face. Yeah, good splatlings can also handle some close combat situations, but Kraken also scares opponents, forcing them not to rush in, which is where Heavy Splatling wants them to be. I only have one space left in my set for a :ability_specialsaver:, but I guess using some more or even some :ability_specialcharge: (even tho this weapon has no trouble charging specials) would be even better.

GreenSpiny

Full Squid
I do personally run a :ability_specialsaver: main on this weapon as I think having Kraken ready most of the time can save your @ss from people jumping in your face. Yeah, good splatlings can also handle some close combat situations, but Kraken also scares opponents, forcing them not to rush in, which is where Heavy Splatling wants them to be. I only have one space left in my set for a :ability_specialsaver:, but I guess using some more or even some :ability_specialcharge: (even tho this weapon has no trouble charging specials) would be even better.
Very much agree here. While Kraken is up, the Heavy Splatling has both ranged and close quarters presence, and good flanks (not usually seen on defensive weapons). And since you'll usually be in the back of things, it's a nice safety net when you need to push forward into enemy territory. Chargers are still a big pain though.

My Deco set for TC / Rainmaker is currently
:ability_specialsaver: | :ability_inksavermain::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:ability_specialsaver: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialcharge:
:ability_runspeed: | :ability_specialsaver: :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:,
with more run speed and ink recovery in Splat Zones. Still tweaking it, but special saver is surprisingly effective.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yeah, I forgot the Custom E-Liter had Kraken too. Not to mention a well-positioned E-Liter is a pain for any Splatling Deco user.
Yeah that's some good advice for any Heavy Splatling Deco user: whenever facing a weapon with equal or greater range (other Heavy Splatlings, Jet Squelchers, Splat Chargers, Hydra Splatlings, Rapid Blaster Pros, or E-Liter 3Ks) stack as much Special Charge Up as you can to charge Kraken as quickly as possible to rush them down.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah that's some good advice for any Heavy Splatling Deco user: whenever facing a weapon with equal or greater range (other Heavy Splatlings, Jet Squelchers, Splat Chargers, Hydra Splatlings, Rapid Blaster Pros, or E-Liter 3Ks) stack as much Special Charge Up as you can to charge Kraken as quickly as possible to rush them down.
After the latest patch I've been able to hold back Krakens reliably with my Heavy Splatling, and the Jet Squelcher could hold it back before that patch too, so against those weapons I'd say it's better to outplay them rather than rely on a Kraken rush. You do get the Point Sensor to help you out in that regard too

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
After the latest patch I've been able to hold back Krakens reliably with my Heavy Splatling, and the Jet Squelcher could hold it back before that patch too, so against those weapons I'd say it's better to outplay them rather than rely on a Kraken rush. You do get the Point Sensor to help you out in that regard too
Yeah those are equal range situations (I've tested, and yes, the Jet Squelcher has the exact same range as this) so outplaying is probably the better idea.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
What gear do y'all like to run on this amazing bedazzled juggernaut?
I'm thinking about a set with haunt, 1-2run speed mains(or equivalent) and 2 def up mains(or equivalent)

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I usually run ink resistance, two run speed up, one defense up, two ink recovery, and a defense up. I run the ink recovery for the sub weapon, and the one defense has saved me a couple times.

Rael

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rael303
:head_cap010::ability_specialsaver::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_tes003::ability_coldblooded::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht007::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

I used to go with :clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: but I can't play without Cold Blooded anymore, even if on some maps I really spend all the match inking from a distance, so being located wouldn't hurt that much I guess. All the other abilities I use are kinda mainstay for this weapon imo. Special Saver may be swapped for Duration Up maybe (I don't feel like Charge Up is that useful as this thing has no problem getting turf down), and I saw some people playing without Swim Speed Up, which I don't really like and it boosts kraken a bit too.
2 Run Speed Up mains are enough for me, but some people stacks way more so I guess it's personal preference. I like to use other abilities and not having an all of the same set.

Rael

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rael303
Up for some discussion over upgraded abilities! I played a bit around them and I managed to find a set that works pretty well for me, especially in random ranked:

:head_cap007::ability_comeback::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_shirt010::ability_haunt::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_sht007::ability_runspeed::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

:ability_comeback: now has activates a :ability_specialcharge: too, and that's great considering how important Kraken is for this weapon. 5 Panel Cap has :ability_specialsaver: as natural roll, making it an effective combo. Getting quickly into the game again with Kraken ready most of the time can really turn the tides of your match.

The new :ability_haunt: is extremely good for random ranked, as you're not sure your opponent team will have an Echolocator user, making :ability_coldblooded: sometimes really useless. This weapon also has pretty much 0 sneak attack factor outside of surprise Krakens, the loss of not being located isn't really that much. The buffs while located with :ability_haunt: are not insanely good for this weapon, but speed and defense actually help you survive people rushing over that Point Sensor spinning over your head. I won quite a few close combat situations with the def boost!

The main difference from my previous set is the total lack of :ability_swimspeed: in this one, but both :ability_comeback: and :ability_haunt: do activate it at times, so it's still there in a way. ;)

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Usually, I use something like this for Heavy Deco

Sun Visor :ability_bombrange:l:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_tes004: (I think, some rockenberg white shirt):ability_inkrecovery:l:ability_runspeed::ability_inksavermain::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:l:ability_inkrecovery::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Bomb Range Up is great for team support with the Point Sensors, which work well with your range to take out foes. Ink Regeneration is great since both the main weapon and the Point Sensors take up a lot of ink, so recharging faster allows you to be more active. Run speed up is generally good on Splatlings, seeing as you have to stand to charge and it helps get your foes in optimal range, while Ink Resistance just makes you more mobile and makes it easier to escape. Preferably, all these would be triples, but you see the point.

I initially neglected this weapon for the Splash Walls of the vanilla, but found out that Point Sensors can be very useful (too bad they are not on many other good weapons) and Kraken makes up for the lack of walls in sheer utility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom