• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Help me pick some gear and abilities?

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
Alright so I just hit level 20 so I can start re-rolling for desired abilities. I'm probably only going to play splat zones for the time being.

I use a custom jet squelcher (burst bombs and Kraken). I rarely die, and when I do I almost always just swim back to the battle because my opponents lock down my allies when I'm not there. (you know, normally). I play a "Sniper" role also where I hang out on high elevated areas and shoot from a distance with the squelcher. That's where I get most of my kills. I use my burst bombs to quickly neutralize territory. I use kraken when either I'm heavily pressured, someone is chasing me with a bubbler or kraken, my foes are echolocated and I can easily chase them, or we have such good anchoridge that I can easily chase the opponents out with a Kraken.

I usually start spawns by throwing four burst bombs. It takes my all of my ink (with my current armor set up which I think has like 4 ink saver sub sub abilities, quite a waste). This charges up the kraken really well and I just refill the ink while swimming back to battle.

I also play the anchor role or certain maps like urchin underpass (the sniper locations), and Blackbelly Skatepark (side sniper positions) but on other maps, I just play a aggresive splatter role (get ink covered and charge in with the kraken if neccesary)

I like my firefin jungle hat, but it currently has all of it's sub abilities as ink saver sub. Any other suggestions?

DakotaBonez

Full Squid
Well, ink saver is probably the most useful ability, been trying to get gear full of ink savers with no luck. If ya like the kraken so much get the special up ability, just make sure its a main ability.

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
I'm probably good with my current set up then. It has ink saver main and special charge up and special saver.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yeah, Special Charge and/or Duration Up should be great if you want to release the Kraken a lot (and you should, it's amazing), Special Saver too if you get splatted a lot (you said you don't though, so that might be unnecessary), Ink Savers are great too (especially Sub to get more bombs, though perhaps you could forgo Ink Saver Main for Ink Recovery Up? Just a thought, no need to do that if the Jungle Hat's working for you), maybe Defense Up (you're gonna get shot at, so it's good to take a little longer to splat) and Damage Up (if you're going to be aggressive, you might as well counter Defense Ups) if you have room (those two maybe aren't necessary, just alright to have). If you're afraid your team will collapse without you, consider Quick Respawn too.
As for main-ability-only abilities, get Ink Resistance Up. It's the best, you must have it.
Maybe Ninja Squid for those maps where you play aggressive, or Haunt (it's like a mini-Echolocator on the guy who splats you) and Tenacity (it charges your special automatically when you're outnumbered, could be good to have, if only for releasing more Krakens per march) for when you snipe. Not too sure on those last two, I don't snipe much (.52 Gal Deco is good for many things; as far as I can tell, sniping isn't one of them), but they seem like they could be useful.

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
Bunch of good thoughts. What exactly does ink resistance do? Is it kinda just like a defense up? What shirt or shoes have it as main?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Bunch of good thoughts. What exactly does ink resistance do? Is it kinda just like a defense up? What shirt or shoes have it as main?
Ink Resistance makes you take much less damage from standing in and walking through enemy ink and makes it socyou can move faster and jump higher in enemy ink (not as much as you can when not in their ink, but it's not as bad as it normally would be). I have it on the Blue Moto Boots (3 slots), but you can get it on one of the Sea Slugs too I think. It's shoes only.

DakotaBonez

Full Squid
Ink resistance is an exclusive ability for shoes, and can allow ya to swim in enemy ink for a short time without noticing a difference, good for escapes. This is one of the rarest abilities to get in the game, no brand has a higher chance of getting it. You have to be lucky to get this ability.

According to this chart, damage up will not affect your squelcher, even if your opponents had 3 defense up stats it would still take 4 shots to splat.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RypvHABq22S1wGJY_UtBJIklfl9p8vjfQx0btziq-Co/edit#gid=0

According to this chart though, a defense up will make a .52 gal into a 3 shot splat instead of a 2 shot. So if you get wrecked by alot of .52 gals, maybe consider a defense up, or two defense up if they're carrying an attack up (which a smart .52 gal player would be carrying.) Though I think that you should really just focus on ink saver, special charge up, and maybe replace special saver with special duration. Because you rarely get splatted, I think ya should have your gear increase the duration of the Kraken so you can use it longer.

Burst bombs start off with a base damage of 36, meaning it takes 3 to splat at 108 damage.
You'd need to increase the burst bombs damage by 14 points to make it a 2 hit splat, I'm not sure how much of a damage boost burst bombs get from attack up.
Also, I've heard that the ink that spreads after a burst bomb bursts has its own damage value that might benefit from attack up. Unfortunately I have yet to find a study on this.
It think that attack up lets you splat an opponent with 2 shots from the squelcher and 1 splat bomb, as opposed to 3 shots and 1 splat bomb.
Guess I'll be going to the training room.

Last edited:

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
Well I typically don't use the burst bombs for damage, I use them to spread ink and neutralize territory. I rarely ever use them to attack unless I'm being hounded.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Burst bombs start off with a base damage of 36, meaning it takes 3 to splat at 108 damage.
You'd need to increase the burst bombs damage by 14 points to make it a 2 hit splat, I'm not sure how much of a damage boost burst bombs get from attack up.
Also, I've heard that the ink that spreads after a burst bomb bursts has its own damage value that might benefit from attack up. Unfortunately I have yet to find a study on this.
It think that attack up lets you splat an opponent with 2 shots from the squelcher and 1 splat bomb, as opposed to 3 shots and 1 splat bomb.
Guess I'll be going to the training room.
*60 base damage. It takes two direct hits to splat regardless of Damage modifiers. It would be nice to get the data for indirect hits thought, however I doubt they would be any more efficient than usual.

You mention you'll mostly playing splat zones and that you hardly ever super jump, so in that case I would possibly consider Swim Speed as a main. However, if you're not dying much and therefore not seeing the need to swim towards things as much, the difference may be negligible (think speeding in a car. hardly ever will it make a huge difference, except over large distances. In this case, over many times of dying).

I like your current set up. I might think about:
Bomb Distance (you can neutralize things further away)
Ink Rec (you could pair this with a main slot of Ink Saver (Main) for more efficient tank use)
Ink Res (in place of Defense, as it reduces ink damage you take from environment by half, 25% of your health total instead of 50%. If you do not die much, don't bother though)

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Ninja Squid and Ink Resistance are arguably two of the most powerful abilities for gear in the game right now. Try going for Swim Speed up as a few of your sub perks, and you just negated Ninja Squid's downsides.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Just went to the traning room, your totally right it does at least 60 whenever it hits!
I wonder where I read 36.
They are probably a better kill option than the squelcher.
Heh, yeah
But I don't know about that. You have to land them directly and that's like half your ink tank, assuming you actually hit. But it would be good if you were...actually good at it. Otherwise a squelcher with continuous fire over a period of time is much better.

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
Heh, yeah
But I don't know about that. You have to land them directly and that's like half your ink tank, assuming you actually hit. But it would be good if you were...actually good at it. Otherwise a squelcher with continuous fire over a period of time is much better.
I can throw four bombs without refilling with my current setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom