Help me use Blaster!!!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Since I've been playing around with my alt, I've been working on weapons classes I previously avoided. I've come to enjoy Splatlings a lot, and my Charger skills aren't too shabby now either.

But I still struggle a lot with basically all Blasters. Sloshing Machine works similarly to Blasters and is one of my best weapons, but I am completely hopeless with actual Blasters.

Which one should I use to settle in to them? Any tips for how to strategize? Recommended gear?

I've had the most success with Range Blaster. The Splash Wall really helps giving me the security to compensate for the slow fire rate, but still having a lot of trouble.

Mr. Penguin

Inkling
well, i usually use the luna blaster neo. it's one of the faster blasters and it also has bomb rush, which seems to work out for me at least (also, i struggle with ranged weapons that aren't the squelchers)

for tips.. i tend to jump when i use the blasters, though i don't know if that'll help you? also i use run speed up for getting across places faster (like the nets on camp triggerfish?) i don't really know, it just works out for me.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I know all the best blasters have a jump and shoot rhythm that makes them harder targets. I still just really suck at aiming while jumping. Guess I just need more practice.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Well i like to use blasters (specifically the custom range blaster) and what i noticed is that you need to play pretty passively (or atleast how i like to play) because when you shoot you can't turn back. Never hold the ZR button always "tap" with it because it can happen that you just shoot one shot more when you wanted to go in you ink. And what I tend to do is letting the opponents rush in. So you can kill them one by one. And i also like to super jump to my base alot when i'm even in a little bit of danger (getting rushed by 2 people at the same time, having almost no map control while being cornered) just because you can't turf that well. Try to harass opponent with your blast radius so they need to escape out of there "safe zone" and when you harass them you can even predict there movement by shooting the other side where you hit them earlier

I just noticed that these tips are more for the Range blaster then any other blaster, so yeah.

And i like to run some swim speed up so i can get into a good positions to shoot from or retreat when needed. Also i run -2/3 sensitivity when i use the range blaster and +1 with any other blaster.

I hope my tips (or more how i play with a range blaster) helped you out in some way. I'm B+ so take these tips lighty because maybe this doesnt work in higher level play

Have a nice day and i hope you improve!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Well i like to use blasters (specifically the custom range blaster) and what i noticed is that you need to play pretty passively (or atleast how i like to play) because when you shoot you can't turn back. Never hold the ZR button always "tap" with it because it can happen that you just shoot one shot more when you wanted to go in you ink. And what I tend to do is letting the opponents rush in. So you can kill them one by one. And i also like to super jump to my base alot when i'm even in a little bit of danger (getting rushed by 2 people at the same time, having almost no map control while being cornered) just because you can't turf that well. Try to harass opponent with your blast radius so they need to escape out of there "safe zone" and when you harass them you can even predict there movement by shooting the other side where you hit them earlier

I just noticed that these tips are more for the Range blaster then any other blaster, so yeah.

And i like to run some swim speed up so i can get into a good positions to shoot from or retreat when needed. Also i run -2/3 sensitivity when i use the range blaster and +1 with any other blaster.

I hope my tips (or more how i play with a range blaster) helped you out in some way. I'm B+ so take these tips lighty because maybe this doesnt work in higher level play

Have a nice day and i hope you improve!
Thanks for the tips man!

Its actually funny, since I originally made this thread (in fact, it was only 2 days ago), I picked up Luna Blaster Neo just to toy around and discovered I was doing REALLY well with it. So, I think I found my issue, which you may or may not agree with, but its still worth mentioning: Blasters have a higher learning curve than most other classes. Like you kind of mentioned, one accidental shot can cost you a life. They're built to harass and murder but they don't come with the safety net that weapons like Tentateks have due to their limited inking abilities, so the shots really have to count.

Perhaps I have some of my remnant aggression from my shooter playstyle carrying over into my blaster game. I'll try a more passive approach like you described. Find a little niche and jump, kill, hide again.

Retreating is something I need to remember to do more. More often than not I don't press the button soon enough and end up dying mid-super jump. Its really a tragic sight to see.

Since I'm having so much luck with Luna, I'm hesitant to branch out to other blasters but, like I mentioned in my original post, I was having modest luck with Range Blaster so maybe I'll work up the confidence to give it a whirl again.

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer C Range Blaster? The popular pick seems to be Luna Neo by a large margin.

Thanks for the advice again!

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
If you have fast eye, you have to learn to deal with the delay. Like I can hit the fire button, the person moves and I have to reaim before it shoots. here is an exmaple:
I hit fire button when facing forward still....

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
yeah you need to predict where the opponent will be after the delay. i wanted to give the reason why i use thwe C range blaster but i don't have time at the moment!

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
I think the Luna is the easiest Blaster. Because well, you just need to get in range... After this your chances of killing are very high, possibly by exchanging (which is not great of course). But basically, you can find lots of Luna with Respawn and possibly Stealth Jump. This is the easy way, it's kinda efficient, but I wouldn't recommend it for improving purposes.

I hit S+99 with the Custom Range Blaster. I would say it's easier to play solo with this one than the regular one, because of the Kraken which will save you more often than the wall. Plus the Splat helps quite a lot to kill, combined with one shot, which gives flexibility. It's easy to trade with it too, like "oh I'll die hm... Here I'll give you that Splat Bomb". Though the regular is good too, and I would especially recommend it on Saltspray SZ. Personnally I'm not as good with it because I can't use the wall too well with this weapon, and it increases the ink problems. I would basically give it to teammates and swim away to prevent any ink problem on my side, but that's not great in solo, especially if the player is not used to walls (he'll die from a bomb).

About stuff, I'd recommend putting enough ink related bonuses to have 4 shots after playing your sub (instead of 3). At least, if you often die because you lack just one shot, you must do it (like me). For the others, it depends of mods and playstyle obviously, but I think you'll never be bad with some swim speed, possibly some Special related bonuses, and possibly respawn. I feel Cold Blooded isn't necessary for the Range versions, as you have enough range to fight, but that's still possible. I wouldn't play Damage Up as I very rarely have to hit 3 times to kill. Defense Up is questionnable I guess.

About jumping or not, I'd say you have three choices.

1- You need that one shot kill. Then, don't jump, you'll be far more precise (or see 3, possibly).
2- You don't need it. If you're fighting with someone, not jumping is a suicide move. You're increasing the chances to kill, but not as much as you're increasing your chances to die by being too slow. Basically, you'll exchange at best. So, moving (with jumps) is far better.
3- The way you aim when you're jumping and the way you aim on ground are a bit different, and that might be a problem in some cases. If you're not confident in your aim while on ground, then remember you can shoot at the end of your jump. This way, you can be fairly accurate and still a bit mobile, but you'll fire later.

At very short range, like when you want to kill a Luna by being so near that he can't hit you, jump. You don't need to be accurate at this kind of range.

Lastly, if you want some CRB videos, there is a Japanese Youtuber called KT Lee. I didn't watch recently but he should be more than good enough for anyone thinking about how to play it.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Well i have time to spare now so.

Why I actually started using the C range blaster was because my aim was horrible at the time. I only played with sloshers back then ( especially the Tri) and those were easier to use. I started using the TTek (still one of my fav!) but i couldn't get a kill because of poor aim. So I wanted to use a weapon that required good aiming.

I first looked at some of the other shooters (squelchers) but i didn't like those. Then i tried out the splatterscope (still training with it) and that helped out quite a bit! But then i thought, "why not use a blaster? You need have perfect aim!" So i tried them out. I did like the vanilla blaster, but not enough range for my taste.Didn't like the Rapid blaster at all. The Luna doesn't need that good of a aim and i doesn't have any range at all. So i tried out the Range Blaster. I liked how it had so much range but i do not know how to use walls right, so i tried the Custom version.

And now it is my personal favorite! I just love how it has so much range! If you learn the range of the C Range Blaster you can actually make kills very easily (no pun intented). I love how it outranges most shooters and just popular weapons in general. I like the sub, the splatbomb. Because, if you use them effectively, you can actually increase your kill range because you can force people out of the 2 splat range (when you can't hit opponent directly. but the splash damage hurts your opponents, when you're trying the shoot the first test dummy in the test court. And you can always shoot, and then throw a bomb the opposite direction, which forces them out there, so they need to flee or return to the same situation. Or even get a lucky splat.

And i like the Kraken on this weapon. Because when you're in a sticky situation, you can always use your Kraken! And then you have more then enough time to just flee, or get a kill or 2 ( only do this when your team has map control though). When you're in a dire situation with your Kraken, you can still safely Super Jump to your base! Like when you pop your Kraken, and 2 of your team mates die.

That's a problem with this weapon though, you can't hold your own against multiple opponents because of the slow fire rate. And turfing is super hard to do too.
But those problems can be easily evaded if you just play safely and don't rush when not needed.
(Btw why did you cahnge your avatar Birdiebee? I liked it ;-;

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
With the rapid blasters, stack an obscene amount of :ability_damage:, and abuse your range. The standard Rapid Blaster is good for flanking at a distance, as it is relatively hard to dodge it's shots. Play based on who you are up against, pressure short range foes away with your range, be stealthy near long range foes for a quick flank, and do whatever is best for the situation with mid range weapons. The Rapid Blaster Pro is often better for defending an area, as you can attack a wide range with relative safety. As with the loadouts, I don't really use both standards, but the Deco variants each have a sub and special that can help control and zone out opponents. Suction Rush and Disruptors are especially useful, the former for it's ability to turf lots of ground, and the latter for making it much easier to splat foes (although you do need to be careful about ink consumption.) :ability_bombrange: can help both, although it is not as vital as :ability_damage: is.

With the standard/range blasters, they both use a similar playstyle. Your large blast radius encourages you to run/swim/jump around your foes, allowing you to strike while dodging enemy fire. Play conservatively, as you do have a long time to splat (unless you go for the 1 shot splat). Speaking about one shoting foes, do not put too much pressure into hitting the center. It is best to try for one shots when either you are in a situation that you likely will get splatted soon or you can take the enemy by surprise. With the standard, I recommend :ability_inkresistance: and :ability_swimspeed:, simply because you need to approach foes to attack. The range makes better use of :ability_inkrecovery: and :ability_inksavermain:, as it consumes ink somewhat quickly. Both variations can use :ability_specialcharge: and :ability_tenacity: to help with their special. Loadout wise, they all have their advantages. Disruptors and Point Sensors are both useful projectiles that you can use to splat foes easier. :ability_bombrange: can help with this. Bubbler is good for a panic button and team pushes, while Killer Wail charges fast and can be helpful clearing out space. Splash Walls are amazing, they give you and your team a huge safety net. Splat bombs may not be as useful, but they do have value in close range combat and pressuring foes. Inkstrike is situational but somewhat useful, while Kraken is great to cover the Range blaster's close range weakness and protect from an attack.

I suck at the luna blaster, don't really know how to use it. Ask someone else if you want advice about it.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Wow guys! So many useful tips! This is an important thread for any Blaster beginner!

Still loving the Luna a lot, but agree it seems pretty simple to use as far as strategy goes.
The C Range Blaster is sounding sexier every minute. I love the kit (Splat bombs are my fav sub, and I'm pretty skilled with them), so if I can just work on my aim with it then I could become a formidible opponent.

And I already use lots of Ink/special based subs for most of my weapons, so I'd be familiar with the gear.

Thanks so much everyone! If I come across anymore issues I'll come back and ask.

@Hikaru54 sorry about the avy change!! D; i was just bored of it! you're making me want it back though...

Last edited:

buttfield

Full Squid
The best tip for a beginner is to stay in your blaster's ideal range - the edge of your overall range, where your enemy can be hit by splash damage on a near miss. The standard Blasters generally take 2 hits to kill from splash damage, while the Rapid Blasters take 3 or 4.

The Rapid Blasters depend on ideal range even more heavily than the others, since they cannot kill with a single precise shot. Pressuring enemies from the edge of range can force enough damage to scare off or eliminate targets long before they would be a threat to you.

What you're seeing from your experience with the Luna Blaster is indicative of both this and why the Luna is so popular with beginners: It's very easy to understand and use effectively because the Luna's ideal range is its entire range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom