• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Help Needed For Improvement

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
Again, reaching out for help on this. I think I'm getting better when it's clear I'm not. Can anyone give me advice? Coaching? Anything?

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
I am probably not the best person to give out advice, but I think I can offer a few pointers.

Some questions first.
  • Do you have any clear goals for Splatoon. If yes, what are they.
  • What do you think is giving you the most problems in the game. Maps, modes, weapons, habits etc.
  • What weapons do you normally play and why.

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
Goals:
- Get to X rank
- Branch out to some other weapons

Problems:
- I honestly don't know.
- I am trying new gear builds to see if something sticks on that.

Current Weapons:
Heavy Splatling Remix (SZ/TC)
Custom Jet Squelcher (TC/RM)
Custom Dualie Squelchers (CB)

I am experimenting with the Nautilus 47 atm but I'm just using it in Turf War for now.

Diolass

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-0746-2241-9712
The best way to improve is by asking yourself questions about your gameplay. Typically, dying is your greatest teacher. If you can ask yourself "why did I die?" every time you die, it'll probably help you improve a lot and fix mistakes. I assume that you're a newer player, so I also recommend to get really good at aiming. Use motion controls and practice shooting the dummies in the practice range.

let me know if you got any more specific questions :)

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
Getting to X rank is a pretty good realistic goal to have and I'll assume it's specifically quad X.
As for branching out I'll get to that later.

As for not knowing what your problems are. It leaves me rather stumped on what to say as I don't want to make assumptions on what your having difficulties with. The best thing would be to see some ranked gameplay. If you have any let me know so I can get a better idea on what advice to give.

Now your weapon choices are all fine (imo you can get X rank with any weapon, but that's besides the point.) Here's my two cents.
  • Heavy Splatling Remix (SZ/TC) - A strong pick all around. Not much to say other than play it like a splatling and not a charger.
  • Custom Jet Squelcher (TC/RM) - I not too sure it's the best for rainmaker. It's a bit slow for a game-mode about hauling the rainmaker as fast as possible to the podium. Unless you find yourself carrying the rainmaker most of the time. Tower Control's slower pace is fine for it though.
  • Custom Dualie Squelchers (CB) - You could honestly just use this weapon for all modes. Easy, comfortable, and a solid kit. It being more mobile than other mid-range stuff is also good for Clams.
  • Nautilus 47 - I know your just trying it out, but I think it's a great weapon to stick with if you can. Afaik it's got wider skill floor than most weapons and leans a bit on support from teammates. However it can tackle most modes well and has good range with it's time to kill. I know some might say that Nautilus 79 is better, I generally agree, but I think it depends on how good you are with inkjet. If inkjet is not to your tastes then you should just use 47.
In terms of other weapons to try. I have a few suggestions.
  • Tentatek/Kensa Splattershot - The jack of all trades that fits quite nicely within ranked. They don't excel at anything but they are comfortable in even the most dire situations (and lord knows that ranked is full of those). Maybe not a "main worthy" weapon for some but should be a go-to pocket weapon for everyone.
  • Neo Splash-o-Matic - Similar to the above but with more emphasis on painting/mobility. It is also 100% accurate which, for me at least, is a huge plus. A good Clam Blitz weapon.
So you might notice that these weapons are what some would call slayers (I don't like that term but whatever.) I did this because all the weapons you're currently using are supports/anchors. I think it's important to get out of your comfort zone with how you play and try out different approaches towards splatoon and get different perspectives. These weapons are also pretty independent and don't need worry too much about what your teammates are doing. You should still obviously pay attention to them during the game but not as keenly as supports or anchors would.

Hopefully you found some of this helpful. If you need me to elaborate on anything just ask.

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
If you need additional information, here are my current stats: (I'm no newcomer to this game, I've had it since launch in 2017 and have been stuck in S+ for so long now. Only reason I don't have more time in the game [I still have over 1500 hours for the record] is because I have a 9-to-5 job and only play it in the evenings during the week)

Current Level: 11*
Splat Zones: S+4 (peaked at S+6)
Tower Control: S+4 (peak currently)
Rainmaker: S+3 (peak currently)
Clam Blitz: S+0 (peaked at S+3)

I've been recording my matches lately (when I remember to) now that I have an Elgato and OBS to do so but again, I'm not sure what to even keep an eye on in my recordings when looking to improve.

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
The best way to improve is by asking yourself questions about your gameplay. Typically, dying is your greatest teacher. If you can ask yourself "why did I die?" every time you die, it'll probably help you improve a lot and fix mistakes. I assume that you're a newer player, so I also recommend to get really good at aiming. Use motion controls and practice shooting the dummies in the practice range.

let me know if you got any more specific questions :)
Also do I just do Turf War to practice for now with this? I have been with the Nautilus so I don't risk my rank.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
So I finally got around to watching some of your gameplay and have a few things to say. This is also going off your most recent splatoon vod which has mostly Clam blitz and some Splat zones.

Some general things
  • You're playing too passively. You rarely ever approach the middle of the map even when your teammates are trying to push in.
  • You're missing many of your shots when you initiate fights. While yes you aren't losing the fights themselves you still should practice lining up your shots in order to finish off opponents faster. The practice range is a good way to help fix this problem.
  • You get very heated over your teammates. Understand that getting mad at stuff out of your control won't help you become better. Getting mad in general is often a good way to make sure that your play worsens as you often get short-sighted and lose track of important objectives.
Weapon specific
  • You aren't utilizing burst bombs that well on the custom jet. Your kinda just throwing them around for paint like a suction bomb. Use them to initiate fights as to get some extra damage on opponents and force them to resurface from its paint. The burst damage also cuts down on jets slow kill time which is huge.
  • When you are using stingray you keep using it while being shot at by an inkjet and later tenta missiles. When this happens just retreat and move. Yes, it feels like you wasted a stingray by doing this, however dying is certainly worse. Just be more mindful when popping stingray i.e. pay attention to what specials the enemy team has available.
  • Your nautilus gameplay is akin to a heavy remix just with baller. You're never actually utilizing much of the naut's charge-hold mechanic, and in fact many times you're losing a full charge when going back into your ink. Baller is an appealing special to have on clam blitz, but that shouldn't be the only reason you pick up a weapon just for its special.
  • Speaking of baller. I saw a few games where your holding on to it for very long periods of time. This goes back to the passive play thing. I know you want to have absolute certainty when making a push into the enemy's basket, but that isn't always possible. Sometimes using baller just to create space or just as a panic button are more than appropriate ways to use it.
With all that being said, I still firmly believe that you really give those weapon suggestions I gave a shot. They'll force you out of your passive play-style and hopefully it will bleed over to your preferred weapons. Playing a bit riskier can really go a long way as one good push is enough to win a game in ranked.

I don't say any of this to belittle you in any way. The fact you are in S+ makes you better than most players. I just think that if you address these problems and iron them out I can see you easily bearing an X ranking.

And again, if you need me to elaborate on anything just ask. Now go get those X's!

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
I'll try with the other weapons but I don't feel comfortable using them in Ranked. I don't want to risk my Ranks currently on that.

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
Update:

I don't like how these weapons feel. The Splash-o-Matic and Splattershot I mean. It goes completely against how I play and I don't like this at all.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
Update:

I don't like how these weapons feel. The Splash-o-Matic and Splattershot I mean. It goes completely against how I play and I don't like this at all.
Yes, that's the point. Those weapons are suppose to be uncomfortable for you and go against your play-style. These are weapons you can not just sit in your base and play "goalie." Your preferred weapons, or rather how you're using them, are enabling passive play. You're not playing to win games, you are playing to not lose games. And the problem with that is that winning the game relies on your teammates to secure a winning position at some point for you (which is good way to remove all blame on your part and never improve)

I did not suggest these weapons to be your new mains. In all honesty, you can just muck around with them in turf war to experiment. I merely wanted you to play a bit riskier and not hold back.

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
And I'm not good with them either because I'm not helping my team because aggression leads me to dying too much.

Emperor2308

Full Squid
And I'm not good with them either because I'm not helping my team because aggression leads me to dying too much.
Yeah, definitely DO NOT get mad and tryhard, it is NEVER good. ( I threw a pillow at my Tv after I get Squidbagged in Rage)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom