Hey new splatoon player

horizons889

Inkling
Hi guys, just got splatoon and have a few questions. First of all, I really enjoy this game so far. I'm level 11 and I tried a few ranked matches recently which was a lot of fun. Do you think the community will possibly grow at all? This game seems strong competitively, and I'm curious as to why you don't hear much about it. It's fun and unique yet people seem gravitate towards other games. Anyways a big issue of mine is getting used to motion controls. For some reason I can't feel like I can control my aim. Right now I upped the camera sens to +2.. don't really notice a different yet from the default, but anyways I know it's all preference but what sens do you guys use?

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
This game definitely has competitive potential as people are hosting lots of online tournaments. There's a separate section for tourneys if you want to check it out. As for aiming, motion controls are best IMO so you are on the right track. It helps if you play through the single player mode first with it on to help you practice (Octo valley). My sensitivity is at +5. :)

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
There's a lot of people from around the world playing at any time. You'll get more Japanese players as night falls but you'll find competition at any time. So getting a game started is not a problem at all! This game is great at that.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Hi guys, just got splatoon and have a few questions. First of all, I really enjoy this game so far. I'm level 11 and I tried a few ranked matches recently which was a lot of fun. Do you think the community will possibly grow at all? This game seems strong competitively, and I'm curious as to why you don't hear much about it. It's fun and unique yet people seem gravitate towards other games. Anyways a big issue of mine is getting used to motion controls. For some reason I can't feel like I can control my aim. Right now I upped the camera sens to +2.. don't really notice a different yet from the default, but anyways I know it's all preference but what sens do you guys use?
happy you got into it, horizons. just a heads up though, the sensitivity adjustment only affects right stick rotation, not actual gyro aiming. if you already knew that, cool. have fun!

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
For motion controls, you just need to practice if you're determined to use them. When I first used them in the Global Testfire, I was pretty bad with them. I've slowly gotten better with them though, and now I couldn't play Splatoon any other way.

The game definitely has the potential to grow competitively. It's still only about 5 months old now, and players couldn't really set up tourneys/scrims/squads until the update in August. Just like how Smash Bros. has a strong competitive scene, I feel that if people stick with Splatoon, it'll become a great competitive game. It also helps that it's doing so well - Nintendo will be more likely to expand the game and franchise as a whole, which makes me giddy thinking about what could be added as time goes on. We might even see Nintendo-sponsored tourneys later on... just give it some time.

horizons889

Inkling
happy you got into it, horizons. just a heads up though, the sensitivity adjustment only affects right stick rotation, not actual gyro aiming. if you already knew that, cool. have fun!
I actually didn't know that. So there's no way to change the actual motion control sensitivity? Not that I wan't to necessarily, but I'm just curious. Also, do you use the right analog stick mostly to turn? I personally find it very hard to rely on the gyro for turning, so I use the right stick a lot. I mainly use the gyro to aim up and down or slightly adjust my aim left or right to hit an enemy. So when people say they adjust their sensitivity so they can turn quickly is that with the right stick they mean? I was wondering if I may be using the right stick too much, I hope I'm doing it right.

SquidJesus

Inkling
NNID
DebugKatamari
Since the game came out I haven't used motion controls. The only game I've played with motion controls for looking around with any gryo control was Ocarina of Time 3DS and that was only when you used items that required you to aim.
It was much different for me in this game and I til this day have then turned off.
I wanted to try motion controls but find I play much better without.

SquidJesus

Inkling
NNID
DebugKatamari
I actually didn't know that. So there's no way to change the actual motion control sensitivity? Not that I wan't to necessarily, but I'm just curious. Also, do you use the right analog stick mostly to turn? I personally find it very hard to rely on the gyro for turning, so I use the right stick a lot. I mainly use the gyro to aim up and down or slightly adjust my aim left or right to hit an enemy. So when people say they adjust their sensitivity so they can turn quickly is that with the right stick they mean? I was wondering if I may be using the right stick too much, I hope I'm doing it right.
The more you play the more you will start to adapt the way you gravitate everytime you pick up the controller.
It seems everyone picks it up differently so don't beat yourself up thinking you are playing the"wrong way" because you aren't :P

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
no way to change motion, sadly. i do use the right stick to flick turn. gyro should be used like this:
-right stick for turning left/right
-moving pad up and down for simple aiming
-moving pad in any direction for precision aiming

that's how i use it anyway. yes. when people say they adjust sensitivity, they mean right stick, for both styles. hope this helps <3

dapperlace

Pro Squid
Considering how well the game has been doing, in addition to its steady influx of updates, I definitely think the community will grow. It's definitely one of Nintendo's more popular IPs, and outsold Super Smash Bros. for the WiiU at some point.

The motion controls definitely take a little while to get used to. You'll also start to notice some tricks you can pull off as you play more and more, that you don't really think about in the beginning. You'll also start thinking about positioning more and more. I generally stay on higher ground until I can find a lower-ground position that still has a good, wide view of the area, for example. Otherwise, someone can sneak up on me and splat me without giving me the chance to get them, no matter how good my aim happens to be that day.

I haven't actually changed my sensitivity, but I probably should, I notice my side to side movement is not quite up to par with some of the players I end up against in the higher levels. I'll definitely give it a go!

SwiftySquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PlatninumGamer
This game absolutely has competitive potential! Look at me; I'm running a clan in Splatoon, not unlike many others. Also, Squids Next Door recently got sponsored by Panda Global.

As for motion controls, it's about personal preference. Keep tweaking your controls and see what works for you. I can't tell you what to do.

Zolda

Full Squid
Don't worry about whether or not you're using the right stick too much, do whatever is most comfortable for you. It sounds like you do it exactly the same way I do it. I use the right stick for significant horizontal movement, and the gyro for fine adjustment and precision aiming. Since I use the right stick for wide camera movement I have the sensitivity maxed out in order to do it as quickly as possible, but just mess around with it and see what works best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom