• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Hot takes

Octo-crisp

Inkster Jr.
The Splatoon community doesn't take advantage of the sales. If there's a modern game that can flourish in-person events, it's Splatoon.

Last edited:

Vin_MD

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4709-4096-5597
Salmon Run is fun and rewarding for people who only play once a week and people who play every hour of every day. For everyone in between those two extremes (which is most people) it's pretty mid and unrewarding.

Cephalobro

Final Splatfests deciding the next game's story/theme shouldn't be a thing. It railroads the devs into "it has to be this only" kind of development. Had the Chaos vs Order Splatfest not influence Splatoon 3 at all, we could've seen a great duality in the final game, rather than just one of the two themes being used.

And yes, I know that Side Order will cover the Order side, but until they really show the positive sides of Order, I'm going to stick with this take.

Gab1bb0

Inkling
NNID
Emii900
Switch Friend Code
SW-3358-8459-2590
Peer to Peer isn't the issue of Splatoon online, terrible netcode is (mainly lack of host migration and terrible handling of scenery changes).

If netcode issues were fixed I'd be happier with P2P over a centralized infrastructure and if Bungie was able of delivering a good P2P on an original Xbox Nintendo can definitely do it with the Switch.

If there's a modern game that can flourish in-person events, it's Splatoon.
I really hope to see more Splatoon in-person events, for me online is fun but playing with other in-person is much better.

Lynx-

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6899-1684-1967
The Inkopolis DLC shouldn't be DLC for Splatoon 3. I would've loved for the ability to move between both maps.

Another hot take: Splatoon 3's map sucks.

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
After playing Splatoon 3 for a while I never want to go back to the previous games because they just feel like broken messes with Damage Up in one form or another and unbalanced specials. But I don't know if it's a hot take.

Lightspeed_Lunatic

Senior Squid
The comp scene will never grow significantly if it's as unfriendly to casual viewers as it currently is. Comp players rarely make an effort to make themselves more visible, matches need to be easier to find (Don't dump three scrims in one video and just call it "Scrim compilation #27"), and most of all, stop locking 90% of things behind Discords where nobody but people who are already in the scene will see it!

Cephalobro

The comp scene will never grow significantly if it's as unfriendly to casual viewers as it currently is. Comp players rarely make an effort to make themselves more visible, matches need to be easier to find (Don't dump three scrims in one video and just call it "Scrim compilation #27"), and most of all, stop locking 90% of things behind Discords where nobody but people who are already in the scene will see it!
I completely agree, intentionally locking out a huge number of players from competitive is actually harming it rather than helping it.

h.JC

Inkster Jr.
The best Splatoon maps are the ones that significantly alter gameplay, such as Port Mackerel and Moray Towers. The latter in particular gets a bad rap--there should be stages that benefit different weapon classes, and Chargers are included in that statement. The stage's size and long journey to mid similarly encourage loadouts with Beakons, which tend to get undervalued by the community.

Even Walleye Warehouse would be a great map if it just had the Respawn Invincibility mechanic to prevent as many lockouts. Tower Control on that map had some really nice maneuvers with Bubble Blower, for example.

#8 regret

Number 10,008
Pronouns
bup/it/she
NNID
gameruler2012
Switch Friend Code
SW-7261-2944-2031
The best Splatoon maps are the ones that significantly alter gameplay, such as Port Mackerel and Moray Towers. The latter in particular gets a bad rap--there should be stages that benefit different weapon classes, and Chargers are included in that statement. The stage's size and long journey to mid similarly encourage loadouts with Beakons, which tend to get undervalued by the community.

Even Walleye Warehouse would be a great map if it just had the Respawn Invincibility mechanic to prevent as many lockouts. Tower Control on that map had some really nice maneuvers with Bubble Blower, for example.
Seconded. More maps should have something substantially unique about them, whether it be the shape of the map itself (take Moray or Flounder, for example) or a unique game mechanic. This is the low-hanging fruit of examples, but Saltspray Rig from Splatoon 1 had suspended grates over the arena that were moved around by cranes. More active unique mechanics like that, or even just the use of already present assets like gushers, sponges, and ink rails would go a long way. God, I miss Shifty Station.

Cephalobro

Event-related badges should be purchasable. Now I know that this might rub some people the wrong way, but special events for Splatoon 3 will one day stop being held. It's an unfortunate inevitability.

By making event-related badges purchasable, everyone will be able to get one. Heck, they don't need to be purchasable until after their related events stop being held by Nintendo themselves.

But for them to be purchasable, the costs will have to differ between the tiers, bronze or third-place tiers cost the least while golden ones cost the most, so players would still have to earn them in some way if they want them.

*Buster*

Inkster Jr.
S’Blast basically being a better Range Blaster makes it harder to consider playing Range, unless Range gets buffed.

Tac

Inkster Jr.
I've seen some undertow spillway hate in other places but honestly I think it's one of splatoon 3's best. I'm a big fan of that hump dividing the trenches in the middle, very fun to squid roll off of and climb around. Plus, I've never really felt it was too cramped when there's lots of places to retreat to. Obviously it could be better (the right of your spawn is pretty useless outside of rainmaker), and from what I've seen of some splatoon 1/2 maps it is much worse in comparison, but overall it gives me some of the most fun in this game, in any mode.

TOD13

Senior Squid
Pronouns
he/him
I've seen some undertow spillway hate in other places but honestly I think it's one of splatoon 3's best. I'm a big fan of that hump dividing the trenches in the middle, very fun to squid roll off of and climb around. Plus, I've never really felt it was too cramped when there's lots of places to retreat to. Obviously it could be better (the right of your spawn is pretty useless outside of rainmaker), and from what I've seen of some splatoon 1/2 maps it is much worse in comparison, but overall it gives me some of the most fun in this game, in any mode.
i agree. i thought it was bad at first but once i got used to it, it's actually really fun for me!

Reactions: Tac

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom