How aiming down throws a Splash Wall farther

Minty!

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2452-0470-2345
All throwables in Splatoon (bombs, specials, eggs, clams) share these fundamental laws:
- While aiming, a path is shown to depict its trajectory
- Running and/or jumping throws it farther
- Aiming higher throws it higher, and aiming lower throws it lower

Splash Wall is a throwable that respects none of these rules.
The first two laws are self-explanatory. The last one is especially... odd. Let's look at exactly what happens when you throw a wall aiming up or down.

I threw five Splash Walls from against the right wall. From farthest to closest, I throw them from the highest angle to the lowest.

Throwing a Splash Wall aiming up at 90°, up at 45°, and forward yield the same distance. Throwing a Splash Wall aiming down at 45° or down at 90° yields an even farther distance.

What's going on? What exactly changes when a wall is thrown while aiming downwards? Let's check to see if it gets thrown any higher.

6.1.png

Top: Thrown from afar
Bottom: Thrown in front of ramp
Left: Thrown facing forwards
Right: Throw facing downwards
All: Thrown at left-most point that let wall onto ramp

Whether at the beginning or middle of the throw, a Splash Wall will be thrown significantly higher when aiming downwards. This leads us to an overarching question: What is changed in the Splash Wall's projection that sends it higher and farther?

graph.png

If the player aims low, a Splash Wall will spawn higher when it is thrown.

How do I know it's in-fact thrown at the same speed and angle with a higher location, and not any other possibility?

9.1.png

This will get a little nitty gritty. Feel free to skim or skip.
In the bottom left, I throw a wall downward at the height of the forward throw above it. In the bottom right, I throw a wall forwards at the height of the downward throw above it. Since both scenarios involve adding the height of a forward and a downward throw, the height in which the Splash Wall spawns in each scenario should be the same. And, as can be seen in the bottom right, both throws resulted in traveling the same distance!

Have fun throwing Splash Walls over ledges, across gaps, or generally more into your enemy's business!

Thank you Mino for helping with footage needed to create the arc used in the graphs, and ofc Pika who's short is the whole reason I even learnt about this odd wall technique in the first place.

Linneus

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Linneus
Switch Friend Code
SW-4891-1092-0917
Ooh, I DO play a weapon with a Splash Wall, so I'll have to mess around at some point!

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
These kinds of posts are one of the best things about squidboards. Its easy to document/archive and very informative. Another option is making a video on youtube but that requires a lot more time and efiting skills. Very cool

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Wow, appreciate all the effort put into this breakdown. It always felt like this sub was particularly clunky to position but I never played it long enough to figure it out. Splash Wall, why are you like this!? It's so hilariously unintuitive.

stripes

Inkling
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1324-9025-8915
oh i've always wondered about the "why" of this, very neat. funny to see that the reason for it is deceptively simple. what i'm kinda wondering now is if this spawn height difference factors into any other sub, or if it's unique to splash wall

Minty!

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2452-0470-2345
oh i've always wondered about the "why" of this, very neat. funny to see that the reason for it is deceptively simple. what i'm kinda wondering now is if this spawn height difference factors into any other sub, or if it's unique to splash wall
As I said in the beginning, it's only the splash wall. Very confusing. I've figured out the "how" but I still wanna know the "why". In Splatoon 1, splash walls were thrown at the same distance regardless of angle. They must have implemented it into Splatoon 2 and 3 for a reason. Honestly, probably was just to give it more use. Still very odd in how it was done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom