• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How can I get better with the Inkbrush?

Arcite5682

Inkling
NNID
Dogalog5000
I've always loved the inkbrush. I am fairly mediocre with it though.

My Loadout:
Bike Helmet (Ink recovery up)
White anchor Tee (Ninja Squid)
Blue Moto Boots (Ink Resistance)

If I can get the drop on someone, It's easy for me to kill them, But my problem is, how do i get the drop on them? I can't just sprint around, and I can't slowly ink the area. What are your tips and techniques?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Look at it more like this: you're a support role. You are bursty and can cover a lot of ground really quickly. With vanilla inkbrush, you can use sprinklers to make a nice safe-circle for your allies and an annoying place that needs to be dealt with for enemies. If you're determined to be offensive with it, you can bait opponents with an annoying sprinkler then, when they come to take it out, you can kill them and just place another.

First, master jumping mashing and shot mashing at the same time. The jump will get you a little extra range while you swing the brush with wild abandon. Do that before you try the rest of the stuff.

Anyway, don't worry about hiding with the brush, in ranked at the very least, you want enemy attention. You're the hardest to kill for a lot of matchups, because you can dance around like nobody's business. To keep this up, trade out the Tee for something with Ink Saver (Main) so you can stick around as long as you can.

But why do you want everyone's attention? You aren't a powerhouse. Unless you get the drop on someone, yeah, you're not gonna be running around killing everyone (unless they're all really easy to surprise). No, what you do, it ink in bursts. Learn to mash and fast. You can ink up a huge empty area faster and in a more annoying pattern than most enemies can cover. That, and you can dance around enemy territory with a well-done dash.

So:

In Turf Wars, find the most enemy-colored area and just have at it, leave a sprinkler and bounce (usually the same way you came). If someone comes to attack you, avoid engaging. You'd probably lose unless you're to their side and/or they're aiming at someone else, anyway. Find the next useful area, and rinse and repeat. Leave sprinklers in areas near spawn when you're there early game to cover as much area as you can.

In ranked, leave a sprinkler near spawn in the beginning--this will charge your special without taking much time out of running for the tower or the splat zone. In Splat Zones, as a support role, you usually have to trust your team to hold the area. What you can do, though, is make it hard for the enemy to come back to the zones.

Leave Sprinklers in enemy base and cover the way back so they have to undo their work. Better yet, get them to notice you and dance around their shots. Only return fire if it's obvious you can take them out without much hassle. As this goes on, you'll be holding off two or three, so just distract them as long as you can until it's too dangerous, then get out. Inkstrike zones to stop the timer when you can--especially when your allies are gaining control it/them.

If you need to go on the offensive, find a safe place to camp the zone, leave a sprinkler and go fishing. Someone will come to take out the sprinkler and when they do, you'll have to be there to take them out and leave more bait.

Inkbrush Vanilla isn't that great for Tower Control--at least as I've found--but, typically, doing the first support role can really help when team knows what they're doing. Making it harder to get back to the tower or catching foes from behind can turn the tides for the better. Unfortunately, camping the tower is typically out of the question, if you're not manipulating the speed the inkbrush grants you, you're losing on nearly its entire kit.

So yeah, those are some basic tips. Do with them as you will.

Last edited:

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
^ This guy knows whats up.

As an offensive Ink brush main, I can tell you a very good technique(?) you should get in the habit of doing is inking down to up. What i mean by this is that if you ink your feet first then swing the camera up as you are inking, you will ink a lot of territory and it gives you a beautiful cone arena to 1v1 someone in. I managed to get to A+ 99 by finding new technology with the Ink Brush and so far THAT is one of your best techs and a lot of people dont do it which is why you may see videos of people attempting to use the Brush and they stand in one place flailing about while getting gunned down. They cant move properly because their feet are covered in enemy ink.

Make sure you are familiar with splatter dashing(?) or whatever the kids/squids call it nowadays because in a 1v1 you want to be able to get to the side of your enemy by swimming in ink and splatter dashing to move around since it does not make you as visible as just running.

Swim speed up is another very valuable piece of tech since in a fight you want to move as quickly as possible and be as non visible as possible. Considering all this try the Red High Tops for your shoes since they give Ink resistance up and 5x likely to get swim speed ups on a roll.

As for being able to get the drop on someone? you honestly have to know your map, look at the pad to see where enemy ink is being spread, and MAKE SURE the ground around you is covered; the ink brush isnt really made for fighting, its made to ink ground and can do it on the level of an aerospray so use that to your advantage in a fight. try hiding on walls, around corners and use your camera to your advantage to time your attacks properly.

Final thing: never try and jump in front of a gun and attack, you will lose 80% of the time. With the brush, always try to attack from above, behind, or the sides and never stand still and swing. The ink brush can sort of 'slide' when you swing out of squid form so use that to side swipe your enemy.

...final final thing..promise: when you begin to face higher level players, they will tend to squid away very quickly at the first sign of danger to make themselves scarce, practice this as well. Also dont always jump and swipe when you dont need to. Jumping gives you more range but while you are in the air your movement options are gone. You can get sniped, be an easy target for a Gal, etc, Just be careful is all im saying.

OK, Im done :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom