How come people are so bad?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Level is never an indication of skill. It is really only relevant for maybe the first 3-7 days at best, since the speed you level up is a better indication of skill. However, everyone will eventually level up at some point, so it becomes a rather moot point. As for matchmaking, there is none. It will match you up against anyone, to find you matches as quickly as possible.

Rank will also try to match you up with people in the same rank as you, but even then, it fails to do that from time to time, since not enough people in your rank are available at that moment in time when you search for a match.

Also, keep in mind that for a lot of people, this may be their first shooter, or they have very minimal experiences with other shooters, so if you actually have some prior experiences with the genre under your belt, you most likely can see things that most people cannot, which, in turn, makes you a better player than most. Also keep in mind that the game is rated E10, so you could also be playing with people who are children.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
The game tries it's best to pair you with people of similar skill level in tw. If your teammates are really that garbage, then I have some bad news for you...

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The game tries it's best to pair you with people of similar skill level in tw. If your teammates are really that garbage, then I have some bad news for you...
Only true if you play Ranked, in turf war it very roughly pairs you w/ your level. I sometimes see poor guys below level 10 who kept getting dumped amongst lvl 30-40 peeps, who always end up as helpless target practise.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
Only true if you play Ranked, in turf war it very roughly pairs you w/ your level.
no...

"Nintendo Dream starts the interview by asking how matchmaking works in Splatoon. Amano explains that rather than focusing on levels, the game pairs players with similar playstyles in Turf War. Levels are more of 'an indicator for how long the person has played the game.' "

eg. if you're consistently playing at an B rank level in TW, you get paired with other B rank players.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
no...

"Nintendo Dream starts the interview by asking how matchmaking works in Splatoon. Amano explains that rather than focusing on levels, the game pairs players with similar playstyles in Turf War. Levels are more of 'an indicator for how long the person has played the game.' "

eg. if you're consistently playing at an B rank level in TW, you get paired with other B rank players.
How does it measure playstyles though? Does it keep hidden values about your win/loss ratio, or what? Because there are times where in Turf War (and i can't be the only one) end up against a team of lvl 10-20 people and i end up destroying the entire enemy team by myself, that can't be right. It makes a dull battle on one side and a frustrating affair on the other end. While level means how long someone played this game, it's also a rough indicator of skill.

I always thought that matchmaking focuses more on getting a match ready ASAP.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
no...

I think most people understood that playstyle = the way you play the game (in other words, whether you prefer Splatting enemies or covering Turf... hey, new Splatfest idea!). The way you put it would make the Matchmaking go a bit nutts when it's dealing with newcomers, who don't really have a rank o_O

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Like what others have said already, it could just be children that love to either fool around or not be very good at a certain stage or using a certain weapon. Not many people are good at this game whether they're low-leveled or high-leveled. It all depends on how skilled a person is.

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
Yep.
Not everyone is competitive.
Most people just play for fun. (Something not a lot of competitive people believe in.)

Doctor X

Inkling
NNID
DoctorX606
Sounds logical enough, but really sucky as well. i'd like to play against people my level, who haven't got full 3 star gear and top weapons i can do nothing against. This just makes me not want to play, since leveling up when losing all the time is dreadfully slow.
You start the game with the Splattershot Junior, which is a fantastic weapon in Turf War. Easily Top 3 for that mode.

Stars don't matter on gear. Only slots do. Even with the exact gear you want, the advantages are small, and stacking the same abilities results in diminishing returns.

If you want to learn how to play a game like this well, one of the first things you need to do is discard the attitude that it's never your fault if you lose. :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom