• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How crucial is running Cold Blooded?

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
So Cold Blooded is a ability exclusively on clothe gear as a main ability. When you have been wall-hacked by Point Sensors, Haunt ability, or most importantly the Echolocator special, it detracts 75% of the total time you are wall-hacked. However, Cold Blooded also uses a main slot that is absolutely useless when the opposition doesn't run any wall-hacks.
If you are unaware, Echolocator runs normally for 12 seconds. With Cold Blooded it is reduced to 3 seconds and considering the fact that it target's the entirety of the active opposition (opponents not dead), Echolocator can be a devastating special. So is it worth running Cold Blooded to mitigate Echolocator's effectiveness and the wall-hacks?

sammich

Inkling Cadet
in my case (squiffer), i ended up ditching cold-blooded for run speed up since increased maneuverability has saved me from dying more times than opponents knowing my exact position (or at least i assume so since i'm started doing so much better immediately),

but who knows.
it depends on your weapon, the mode, and your playstyle?
for me, i tend to do better with more run speed instead.

s_miyahon

Inkster Jr.
How important it is honestly depends on what weapon you're using and how you play. Short range weapons like rollers generally rely on stealth and getting the initiative over the enemy, so Cold Blooded is super useful. Longer range weapons like the E-Litre tend to stay at predictable spots and attack at a safe distance, but seeing how snipers benefit a ton from Echolocator and enemies knowing where you are still forces you to play defensive, Cold Blooded is certainly still useful. Considering how so many popular/top tier weapons use Echolocator (E-Litre, Dynamo Roller), you're definitely gonna see it used a lot too. So imo, if you use short range weapons Cold Blooded is almost necessary, but if you use long range weapons it really depends on how well you can perform playing defensive when tracked for all that time, especially when the enemy has the lead/is in control of the map, Whether you think sacrificing that one slot in contrast to other abilities like Swim Speed then is up to you

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
Very important for me in ranked, tw not so much. I use 52 or tentatek.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I was just posting a little thing related to this on the loadout thread, but I'll talk about it here. As said above, Cold-Blooded is very weapon dependant, and is best when used on the hard flanking weapons (such examples are the H-3 Nozzlenose, the Sploosh-o-Matic, the Inkbrush Nouveau, and so on). Only with those types of weapons should Cold-Blooded be worn all the time, other than that it's just dependant on if the opposing team has any weapons with Point Sensor and/or Echolocator, or if any of then are running shirts with Haunt. Note that Special Duration Up, when used in mass quantity on Echolocator, also increases location time on those running Cold-Blooded (Point Sensor and Haunt times cannot be increased). If going for sneakiness in the fray with such-like weapons (examples: Carbon Roller, Aerospray RG, Splat Roller, and the rest), use Ninja Squid instead (and perhaps stack some Swim Speed Ups as well to counter the speed nerf, but that is for a different discussion).

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
Depends, if you're a Roller or a Brush it is a very necessary thing, but if you're a charger (and a campy one at that) not very necessary. Also if there is a more important ability, you should be able to run it over cold blooded. I went without it and I'm at A 91 if that means anything.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I haven't used it in ranked at all in the past maybe 50-100 matches, and I don't need it. Like sammich said, I prefer run speed up, for I am playing Zink Mini Splatling, or L-3 Nozzlenose, which I play as control support, so I never want to approach anyone as the L-3, and only with bubbler as the Zink. It really depends on your role/playstyle, and even then I find it becomes less important in the meta of S+ solo ranked, since most games are won by pushes, and not consistent battling, so only when your team is ready to push, meaning map control, and enemy team wiped, or 1 left before big pushes, so echolocator becomes less useful, and thus so does Cold Blooded.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
When I'm using my Carbon Roller or Octobrush Nouveau, I think that Cold Blooded is a very essential ability for me to have. Stealth is a huge thing for both of those weapons. If I'm locked down for 12 seconds, it definitely hinders my ability to work. Even if the other team may not have Echolocator, I often like running my Cold Blooded clothing when I'm using my roller or brush because it was really help me if the other team does.

When I'm using the Heavy or Hydra Splatling, I will be less likely to use Cold Blooded. I'm not sneaking around as much and am usually up high. So there's no reason for me to fear Echolocator on these weapons due to the fact that much of the time, people can already see me.

In the end, I guess it largely depends on your weapon and your playstyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom