How do I deal with chargers, esp. E-liters and the Splat Chargers?

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
Almost everyday I'm faced with the struggles of dealing with chargers. Many people struggle with rollers and blasters, and I do too, but I don't always lose to them. However, if there's one match up I lose more than any in the game, it's against chargers. It bugs me to see that people make guides to support the use of chargers, but no guides that teach people in countering them. That's not a bad thing that people want players to use them, but that makes me think they support chargers to the point where they don't want to make videos or guides that tell a player how to win the charger match up. It's one I've basically always struggled with and have never found out how to deal with them. And it bothers me.

So, cutting to the chase, how does one deal with a charger aside from using special weapons (Inkzooka is really the only good one, Inkstrikes and Killer Wails are unreliable on good chargers)? By the way, I am aware that flanking them is an option, but some chargers have so much awareness of the field below them that they don't let you out of their sight. What do I do then? (Also if you're curious, I main shooters.)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Which Shooters do you main, and what's your gear loadout for each? I can help you face Chargers because I secondary a Shooter, and I main a campy Charger and a super sneaky flanking Roller. I can help you in the assassination department.

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
Which Shooters do you main, and what's your gear loadout for each? I can help you face Chargers because I secondary a Shooter, and I main a campy Charger and a super sneaky flanking Roller. I can help you in the assassination department.
In Turf War I main both Aerosprays, but other than those I main Tentatek Splattershot, .96 Gal Deco, and .52 Gal. Sometimes I'll also use the tentatek in turf war.

As far as gear, I usually run a dark urban vest with triple ink saver subs, for the hat it depends, and for shoes I'll either use Red Hi tops with triple swim speeds or Red Work Boots with triple run speeds (and I'm still trying to get three run speeds on my Blue Moto Boots, but lady luck hasn't been givin' it to me).

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Don't stop moving, it makes you an easy target. Try to get out of a chargers way by looking for objects for cover. You can also weave back and forth while covering ground to confuse a foe (easier with Run/Swim speed up), as if a E-Liter/Splat Charger misses a shot you have some time to approach. If you can not find a good way to approach and/or do not have a teammate or special to help you, it's often best to retreat. Then, the charger can forget where you are, allowing you to flank them with enough stealth (Cold Blooded really helps here).

Sub weapon wise, Splash Walls are great. Use one to buy time to ink a path to a charger, as they would struggle to ink back the turf. Suction Bombs can scare them off of sniping posts, to follow up with an attack. Seekers are okay, as they can make a path to a charger on even level, though they might see you and ink over your path.

Inkzooka is by far the best special to deal with Chargers. With the Aerospray MG, just try to charge up one whenever you face an annoying charger. (Special Charge Up/Tenacity might help) Another option could be Bomb Rush, although none of your mains has it.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Harass them with suction bombs as the TTK, or use the ink walls to block an open space to get through. You can use the inkzooka to deal with them if you have it. If you're using the Aerospray RG there is no solution except sneaking past and trying to ambush them, which will be your end goal with all of these weapons.

Fact is you just won't beat them all the time. Not all weapons have a fair match, especially when one weapon has the opponent in their optimal range and the other doesn't.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
I think it depends a lot on what map you're playing. One of my main weapons is the splat charger, which I play in all modes except rainmaker. But I also like the tentatek and both splat roller variants.

I think there are some maps (like moray towers and bluefin depot) where it is better not to waste your time trying to beat chargers. That's because on those maps it is easy for chargers to stay in a high ground position with little threat of ambush. I think that most maps generally have pretty good possibilities for flanking or ambush though.

Something else to always consider is whether the charger(s) you're facing are using the scoped variants or not. It is often much easier to ambush an enemy with a scope because their vision is so limited when they're trying to get a certain target. So when you see them aiming off in another direction, that's a great time to go for an ambush/flank.

This may work for chargers in general too, because all chargers require a lot more focus and precision to use effectively. So oftentimes any charger may be intent on a certain target, and won't randomly turn around to get you if you're coming up behind.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
People on here are already giving great advice, but I'll add one more thing: when using the normal .96 Gal., place Sprinklers everywhere, in all the crucial spots. This gives snipers another target to shoot, which can distract them from you as well as posssibly anchoring an area. Also Echolocator is great on that weapon if you don't know where the Charger is sniping from. I know this is both a Charger main and opposer, and believe me, I don't like having to shoot Sprinklers. It really is one of the most effective distractions.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I think there are some maps (like moray towers and bluefin depot) where it is better not to waste your time trying to beat chargers. That's because on those maps it is easy for chargers to stay in a high ground position with little threat of ambush. I think that most maps generally have pretty good possibilities for flanking or ambush though.
I have no problem on Moray with the TTK, assuming you can get to the middle. After that I just throw suction bombs on the perch directly next to the middle until I feel it's safe, then climb up for the kill. The only problem I've had was with an Eliter who controlled the entire rampart; I couldn't even swim down the ramp on my own side because it was covered in enemy ink and if I came up to make a path I would die instantly.

Kvng_Ferg

Inkster Jr.
NNID
drew48ferg
I maimed the Splat Chargers and one thing I would say is to move around. get up close. And watch their specials because killer wail and Bomb Rush are really good counters if used correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom