How do I get better at ranked battles?

Jacob Yonda

Inkling
I do pretty well in regular battles, but in ranked ones I'm terrible. I find it hard to see and aim at other players, but it's easy in the normal battles. People constantly splat me, my rank is on C, I feel like a total beginner. Anyone have tips on how to get better at ranked battles?

Figy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Hummana
Depending on how ever you play, i cant really tell what youre doing wrong or right. Tips for splatzone, you can either fight around the zone a long range weapon and snipe ppl off the zone or play the objective, as in always covering and going for control and staying alive and not so much kills. Toward control i try to either use my specials if i try to go on the toward or use strong weapons to defend and control the area around the toward and staying alive.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Turf war actually prepares you for Rank battles. I know it sounds weird, but the majority of what turf war teaches you is how to make path ways, stop enemy ink, and overall control certain points. If you are having trouble dying all the time give yourself a respawn power up or two. Basically start out by just helping teammates get to the point or tower, help them make path ways, flank, and overall run away when you need to. You can be good in rank and have a low kill rate.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
May I ask what weapon you are using? It might help to try out some weapons you haven't yet. I tried climbing ranks with the splattershot Jr. and it was tough, but when I switched to a roller or the splattershot pro I won consistently more because of their stronger killing advantages (and maybe I had improved some from all the matches I've played.) Just keep trying to improve- the lower ranks are kind of hard to work through, but some people on here also have good advice. One piece of advice is when you are on a losing streak think about why you keep getting splatted, what you are doing wrong, and how can you fix that.

novel

Inkster Jr.
try different weapons until you found the one you like the most (or two)
keep in my mind that aerospray for example might be good for turf wars because the spread and inkstrike, but not so much in ranked
also feel free to test both control schemes, some people play better with motion and some with sticks

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
Stay alive and in the action. Momentum is everything.

And dont get sucky teams :D

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Generally, try to control the area of objective whether in Tower Control or Splat Zones. Also remember, ranked isn't really fair so if you do poorly and are still best on your team it's likely not your fault. Honestly just a bunch of luck. :confused:

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
Raise your sensitivity and practice so you can aim quicker and more precisely, pick a weapon, and wish yourself luck that you don't get a team of sloths versus Omega Raggy Rorrers from Japan.

Shalnark

Full Squid
Try to use weapons that have bombs or splash walls and decent range. The tentatek splattershot is the easiest weapon to win with in ranked.

If you're getting splatted a lot, you're probably in a rush to get kills and approach enemies in predictable ways. You generally should attack enemies when you're in an advantageous position, when you have no other choice, and preferably, when they don't know you're there. If you shoot at people who don't see you, you can kill them before they can shoot back.

Don't be afraid to retreat. If your enemies kill you, they know that you're going to come back from your base; but if you retreat and hide, they won't know where you are.

Try to help your teammates whenever possible, but don't stand too close to them; you don't want to give your enemies opportunities to get 2-4 kills at once because your team was standing too close together. Also, whenever your entire team dies, try to take the path that your teammates don't. If your team approaches the mid zone from various parts of the map, it will split up the enemy team, making them more vulnerable.

If the same enemy is constantly splatting you, try to change your playstyle and get to the zone from somewhere else.

As you reach higher ranks, you will notice that people tend to swim a lot during fights. They do this to reposition themselves or to get more ink.

Always check the map and the number of deaths on yours and your enemies' teams before you super jump. If there is a chance you will get killed from super jumping, don't do it.

The most important piece of advice is to not die when your team has control (in splatzones). Play safe and use bombs and splash walls to zone out enemies. Make sure your team is covering all the entrances to the zone.

Power

Inkling Commander
-Think critically, what did I do wrong, how can I fix it?

-May not help, but practice your aim in the range, drag shots, twitch shots. W. E

-Map awareness is key, it can be easy to spot a flank from ur gamepad or if things are too silent check around to see if ur getting flanked.

-For SZ u should constantly he moving for the most part, being a sitting duck makes u an easy target in this mode. For tower control, people focus so much on the tower that they ignore their surroundings. Use this to your advantage

-Don't take defeats too harshly, EVERYONE loses, and lots of good players have bad losing streaks.

-objective over Kills. If u kill 2 ppl and die but they get tower or zone, it isn't worth much as they can recover quickly. I try to avoid dying as much as possible, which means avoiding over extending for a 1 for 1 shootout draw or taking out 2 and dying while ur mates aren't there. If your teammates are not there, u will not be able to capitalize on the kills. Time things correctly.

-Attack from different angles, ur mates go from one entrance while go through another entrance. Either u get easy kills from distracted opponents or they are more dispersed making it easier to defeat them than getting sprayed at from one entrance

-Be sneaky. So many times I have been able to get quad or triple kills because of this, even in A+ rooms this has worked. Most players lack good map awareness, making it easy to flank if u r somewhat deceptive and pick your spots correctly.

-Look at the load out of the opponents team at the beginning of the match, what are it's strengths and weaknesses. How can your weapon and role bring your team to victory. Pay attention to your teams load out to, to see where it falters and succeeds.

-Learn your weapon role and stick to it, mostly. Learn it's strengths and weaknesses. Learn how to handle different weapons and what position you are most effective using the weapon.

-Don't worry about it too much, if you let it bother ur mind ur progress will be slowed down. It's a process and patience is key.

Kinda a lot, some info may be incorrect but I hope it can help ya! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom