How do I stop sucking?

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
What is it in particular that you're having trouble with?

If it's killing other players... my K/D improved drastically when I realized that shooting over people does no damage for some reason, and you need to be aiming directly at them. Just a small tip.

Other than that... don't rush into the zone alone. Don't die if you're the only person near the point (as people on your team will look to jump to your location).

And use your specials to change the flow of the game!

Dealing with snipers. I have a fast moving stealth swimmer.

Also avoiding risk more for my team's sake would be good indeed, I am built for it.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
Dealing with snipers. I have a fast moving stealth swimmer.

Also avoiding risk more for my team's sake would be good indeed, I am built for it.
(I'm a charger main btw, but also use the .96 gal / splattershot pro when needed)
From what I've found there are two main ways of dealing with snipers:

1.) Simply avoid them. While this may sound obvious / stupid, I've seen far too many teams tunnel-vision onto a well positioned sniper, to the detriment of the objective / rest of the enemy team. If you are putting a huge amount of effort into shutting down their sniper... that's exactly what they want you to do. Time is money.

2.) Range! As with most games, snipers are poor at close range combat. The ways to close the distance-gap are numerous: seekers (then squid through their path), specials, shields / invulns (kraken), secondaries, and simply rushing them at the same time as a team-mate or two (though, like said before, don't spend too much time in chasing them down).

Once a sniper no longer has their foothold, make sure to play extremely "lamely". By this I mean hiding in your own ink, and popping up to quickly kill them. Use corners, ink, and blindspots. Don't forget you can paint walls and squid up them for a sneak attack.

SolarTrifle

Inkling
NNID
SolarTrifle
So I've wrapped my head around Turf-Wars; I usually lead my team.

BUT I suck hard at Splatzones and would welcome tips on doing better in this style.
There are probably tips for splatzones on the forums or it'd be better to make a new thread for this, but I have a few tips that I've found to be pretty helpful.

1. Rush the center. This is way more important to do in zones than in turf war, since whoever controls the zone first has an advantage over the opposition.

2. However, don't rush if your team isn't rushing. The last thing you want to do is rush and die 1v4 and then leave the early time period as a 3v4 for your team.

3. Most importantly, I see this happen so often in this mode: because you are contesting one central area, the teams will be going for kills way more often than in turf war. Because of this, it's not uncommon for the match to be swung in the opposition's favor if a two or more of your teammates are killed during your offensive. This then leaves 2 inklings fighting 3 or 4. Many people would try to continue to fight for the zone at this point and more often than not, the 2 remaining squids die because the 4 enemies have the zone and can focus on killing the 2. This then ends up leaving the 2 who just respawned alone. Thus, I find it so much better to just back and fill your special and wait for a 4-squid push, instead of staggering your offensive which will almost always fail if you are outnumbered.

4. Obviously, things change a little if you're playing defensively. If a few members of your team have been picked off, do your best to hold the zone but don't be afraid to back splatterhop while inking the zone. This is helpful because it'll prevent the opposition from controlling the territory (although you may lose it for a second) but it also puts you in a more favorable position for your respawned to jump to you.

5. Of course, always practice. Don't start a ranked match with a new weapon you haven't practiced with. Be patient!

Zonderion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zonderion
Rather than making a new thread, I thought I would post here.

I see advice for going straight to the mid to claim territory. Obviously this is needed for Ranked Matches. But does this apply for Turf Wars?

I typically use the roller with Killer Wail/Suction Bombs (only lvl 12). I usually hang back and ink the home base before I head to the center. This builds my special up quickly and I'll drop the KW in my base aimed at the opponents which can get some surprise kills.

Does covering the opponents ink get more points than covering untouched ground?

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
Does covering the opponents ink get more points than covering untouched ground?
Covering untouched ground = +1 ground for you!

Covering opponents ink = +1 ground for you! AND -1 ground for them. Thus a 2 point swing.

YOU don't get more points, but your overall % of ground covered (comparative to theirs) becomes better than if you chose to ink untouched ground.

Hope that helps / makes sense.

Zonderion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zonderion

Covering opponents ink = +1 ground for you! AND -1 ground for them. Thus a 2 point swing.

YOU don't get more points, but your overall % of ground covered (comparative to theirs) becomes better than if you chose to ink untouched ground.

Very much so, thanks! So essentially getting all of my base then covering theirs is a good start, as long as I don't leave my team hanging, right?

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
Very much so, thanks! So essentially getting all of my base then covering theirs is a good start, as long as I don't leave my team hanging, right?
Works for me, and that is the mode I'm kinda good at. But one other piece of advice is that if a big battle breaks out, you should sneak over to a nice out of the way patch of enemy ink and go to town!

tokyodown

Full Squid
NNID
Tokyodown

This is the issue people online don't realize in TW. Forward movement always important because of this reason specifically.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
On the other hand, I actually like to IGNORE the area around the base, at least until towards the end of the match. This is because if you die you'll then have EASY turf to claim and build your special, and then you can squidjump into the fray. By the end of the match your team should have most of this area covered just from building specials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom